Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

v70 transmission woes

Hi guys.

The car in question is a 2000 2.4 V70 auto, with 188k on the clock. For a few weeks the transmission hasnt felt right, having to rev highly to pull away (like a slipping clutch on a manual) and banging into gears. It wasnt too bad to begin with and I've been meaning to try changing the atf fluid to see if it helps. I havent found the time due to work. The last 2 days it has been considerably worse on a morning, maybe with the colder weather. I live on a hill, and this morning I left the house to head up the hill and it couldnt get up. It wouldnt go over 20mph and started getting slower so I gave up, turned around and went back down to go the long way round. Once it had warmed up it wasnt so bad, back to the way it has been previously, crap but driveable.

My question is, is it worth messing about trying to change the fluid, or does it sound like I'm wasting my time? Has it gone beyond changing the fluid?

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    If you're doing it yourself, for what it's going to cost, you may as well try a fluid flush and change, but the trans only has a finite life, and you could well be reaching the end of it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I thought that mate, but its going to cost me £60 for fluid. I figured I'd ask for opinions before I threw that away. I only paid £300 for the car so its not exactly worth spending much on

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    No, if it's only a £300 car might be best to get another one.

Thread Information