Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo tool shed

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Good work mate, nice to see you're getting stuck in and importantly making sure she runs as she should.

You did identify the turbo oil return correctly, I've seen that bodge before. Personally I'd renew the oring and gasket, genuine parts less than a fiver.

Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

This user has no status

Thanks
    I am quite impressed with that silicon bodge! its about the only one I haven't found on my current car!

I had to have a chuckle knowing how little the parts actually cost to do it properly!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Moose View Post
    You did identify the turbo oil return correctly, I've seen that bodge before. Personally I'd renew the oring and gasket, genuine parts less than a fiver.
    Perfect thanks for that.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome, great to see another nice T5 saved - What front shocks did you fit?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just some Volvo parts with eibach springs - nothing too exciting!

So today I took the car out to do its first job for me moving one of the cars (well just a shell actually...)

Before heading out I replaced the plates as the old ones looked very tired. In the process however it uncovered some huge rust patches on the plate mounts on the tailgate, so I'll need to find a replacement at some point.

Pulled the trailer a treat, sometimes forgot it was there!

Whole trip has uncovered a few issues; there's a major steering wobble above 90 so need to look into that and the tailgate is a bit loose so I need to adjust the latch position.

Something else that I was aware of but has become clearer with some load behind her is that the power / boost curve oscillates through the RPM range. It boosts, takes off, then backs off, then repeats throughout the entire rev range - video in 5th with WOT throughout is pretty clear:

http://vid1115.photobucket.com/album...psqogoqbjc.mp4

Would value anyone's comments for things to look at? My view is either the map is too aggressive and the ECU is cutting back due to knock or AFR or there is a sensor / actuator issue that causes the hesitation? It's quite a smooth oscillation so I don't think its a fuel cut, good thing when its 'boosting' its bloody rapid

Cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    If it is a standard ecu it looks like it is over boosting slightly... think the end of the white section is 15 psi so looks like it is boosting to around 14psi & then the ecu is knocking it back to around 10 psi which is where it should be...
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313

Appreciative
    Thanks
    End of the gauge seems to be around 15-16psi when tested (there is a great thread on here somewhere which I'll try to find).

From what I've read normal boost is 9.7psi and about a third into the white, just past the end of the gauge and just off the end of the white is where you'll usually be with a mapped ECU.

I have noticed that mine has done something very similar on odd occasion, running a mapped M4.4, but only where max boost is reached in 4th gear on a cold day and at lower speeds, I'm thinking it's ECU protection to stop engine damage like bent rods, but it will be interesting to see what the experts on here think.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

pingpong (Tuesday 24th May 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks guys, the ECU is the standard part but with 'upsolute' 277 off the shelf map according to the previous owner.

I do have the original stock ECU as well which is not mapped - so I may pop that on and isolate the cause.
    Last edited by pingpong; Friday 30th October 2015 at 10:57.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    This thread might help you (it's the one I mentioned above):

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...o-they-compare

This user has no status

Thanks
    If that is mapped then you have boost issues!

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    i think if it was me first place id look is the tightness of the wastegate arm then the security of the boost hoses, ie if there is a lot of engine rock under full boost an insecure hose would open dropping the boost so engine rocks back an seals the pipe again....
    worst case scenario is the laughing shaft is warped and bent a giggle pin or two

This user has no status

Thanks
    Not a huge update; I've been slowly sourcing some parts for the project over the last couple of weeks and been doing a bit of reading about to proceed modifying it for more output.

So continuing with the boring modifications as promised the first thing I needed was a downpipe -the new ones were all around £600 which seemed crazy money. Luckily a 'GWE' part came up on here for sale so I bought it and it arrived yesterday, is in great condition so happy with that purchase. I also bought the common exhaust manifold upgrade as I found one for £50 on the web:

Now looking at exhausts, choice seems pretty limited off the shelf, so maybe a ferrita will do.

The downpipe also came with a 'angled' exhaust housing for the turbo, I guess for compatibility with later cars but also possibly for a slightly higher output? Anyway it appears the stock 15g is not compatible with the housing, but that wasn't a major concern as I had intended to swap the turbo anyway, again a 16T came up on here for sale at a good price so I've picked that up as well, those bits should arrive next week. My train of thought is that in the future if I wanted to move to a larger turbo like a 18 or 19 the same housing should be useable?

Right, back to the odd engine behaviour in my earlier post. I swapped out the mapped ecu with the stock one that came with the car and the behaviour immediately stopped, that's not to say that there isn't an underlying issue with the car when its generating more beans, but it was a step in the right direction. I'm going to look at vac lines and the actuator on the turbo when I swap it - I think you can buy the actuators separately? Maybe an uprated aftermarket part might be worth looking at? I guess more reading required...

Once I get all the new bits on I would certainly like to send this old ECU off and get a more suitable map, can this be done remotely? Are there any good live calibration places to use? Any recommendations as to who or where to go would be appreciated!

Cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quick update. The Volvo has been busy doing all sorts of Volvo-esq things for me, moving bathrooms, transporting pallets, generally making itself useful

It sits nicely on the springs now they have settled:

So on with the maintenance and upgrades.

Hopefully by the end of the week the 16T exhaust, downpipe, turbo, manifold and injectors will be fitted. I'm hoping to get an ECU off Ettienne with a map for the job already done.

Also replaced all vac lines, Turbo oil & water pipes following Ettienne's advice. Most of the vac lines from the TCV were all shot to bits so I am hoping that is the route cause of the surging turbo pressure issue detailed earlier in the thread.

Looking forward to the run out to Le Mans with the car this year, hoping it will be fast and reliable

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pingpong For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 23rd May 2016)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpong View Post

I think that's my old ecu
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    All you need now is the R front bumper
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

This user has no status

Thanks
    If anyone has a set of white injectors spare I'd gladly take them off your hands

This user has no status

Thanks
    So the car went to Charlwood Automotive near Gatwick for the exhaust / turbo / manifold fitting. It looked like a horrible job to do on the driveway so I was happy to pay - fully recommend their services. Exhaust note is far improved, could possibly have been a bit louder but it keeps it subtle which is a positive. Car is still stock ECU & Injector wise so no real difference in the drive, possibly picks up a bit better.

Last weeks job list consisted of PCV replacement, it had been done a year ago or so, but for peace of mind I decided to do it again:

Whilst it was apart I replaced the intercooler hoses with some Samco jobs. I would have rather they have been black but the price was good so blue it was! They have a dump valve T which I've blanked as I really don't like the sound a dump valve makes. Also changed the PAS pump as it was getting very loud!

Fitted new brakes all round and handbrake shoes on the rear - stonking 45% offer on at ECP so couldn't pass the saving!

Cleaned up the mudflaps with some stain black paint, came out really well!

Body work wise I dropped a tidy rear bumper, R front bumper and the spoiler off with a friend for painting, should be collecting today or tmrw and fitting before Thursday morning for the trip to LM. Looking forward to not having a cloud of lacquer peel behind the car on the motoway

Need to do something about the roof mouldings, currently researching the best option, any suggestions would be useful:

Finally my favourite upgrade:

Fear not this is just a temporary bit of fun for LM

So, left to do this week is fit the painted panels, fit the white injectors once they are back from being serviced, fit the ECU with the correct calibration (thanks again Ettienne!) and then go out and make sure the stock clutch is ok at least for now...

I understand the stock clutch may be approaching its limit at this spec (280-290hp ATF) so we will have to see. I also believe my car might be a dual mass type flywheel type so I think a solid flywheel and R clutch upgrade in the future may be required, especially as I would like to add another 50hp or so at a later date.

Super excited about the drive out to France with the car this week - as long as there is a regular supply of fuel available!!
    Last edited by pingpong; Monday 13th June 2016 at 11:32.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Making good progress

Once mapped, those mods will make a big difference
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Roof rails - get a set from a p1 v70.

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Excellent progress!
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Thread Information