Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbo tool shed

This user has no status

Thanks
    Next update...

Power wise I had a set of white injectors serviced by Mr Injector UK (excellent service I should add) and then fitted the ECU from Ettienne.

First off it was not boosting as high as I was expecting but after checking the wastegate actuator calibration against the following adjustments were made and the boost sits where expected - close to the end of the gauge indication.

Performance is quite frankly awesome -I'm over the moon with the in gear delivery, super smooth and very quick!

The Lambda light is currently on and Solus suggests the following faults, they don't entirely make 100% sense due to the spec of the car.

After some digging I noted I had not reconnected the PCV nipple thing - that does not appear to have corrected the light however - but it may not be self clearing? I'll get the car down to Ettienne for knowledgeable code reading once I have a chance.

Then the return of the painted panels. The spoiler came out a treat, I refurbished the brackets as well as they were very rusty:

Front bumper - needed a few crack repairing, but again came out a treat:

Its really transformed the look of the car!

Rear bumper - this was a total b@stard to get off as the two main captive nuts on the rear brackets spun, i'll let the pictures do the talking... the old bumper had to come off in many parts....

Does anyone know what the black pads that where gaffer taped under the bumper are? You can see them in the above image on the left hand side. I am thinking they are something to do with impact detection but have not been able to find a conclusive answer...

Replaced these knackered brackets.

Gave it a wash and added stickers for LM trip:

With the other cars in the group Rapid Fit BTCC Mondeo and an M3. Volvo was the kit bus and was properly loaded up as you can just about make out in the pics below.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The trip to LM was awesome, as always. If you like racing, beers, BBQ and spending time with mates without any women around you NEED to go. Quick vids, they don't come close to capturing the sound and atmosphere to be fair.

This user has no status

Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks

In terms of future plans during the trip back the car developed a misfire under full load and I'm suspecting that the plugs are not enjoying the new stress being placed on them. I've thought back and with all the work I've done on the car I cannot actually remember changing them so that's on the list. Need to solve the lamba light at some point. Would like to realign the rear bumper as its sagging on the brackets I fitted and is getting a bit melty near the tailpipe. Larger front brakes are also in the pipe line as well as some replacement doors for the passenger side to remove the key scratch that runs across them.

Have got a lot on over the next few weeks with Holidays and house renovations so might have to throttle back working on the car for now. Thanks for reading and thanks to Ettienne for all his technical support so far!
    Last edited by pingpong; Wednesday 22nd June 2016 at 18:25.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pingpong For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Thursday 23rd June 2016),petrolh34d (Friday 12th May 2017)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    great update looks a lot of fun
    1995 854 t5r

This user has no status

Thanks

Thumbs up

Been a while since the last update!

The 850 has been busy helping me with bits and pieces over the winter. Lots of friends and family come out of the woodwork when they know you have a large estate - it went on a trip to the south of France full of furniture and junk for my parents second home, I'm sure other people have now done more mileage in this car than me...

It developed some strange coolant level behaviour which with the help of the members on here was diagnosed as a coolant pressure leak so although I haven't touched the car in about 2 months I've got a box of volvo parts ready to fit in the next couple of weeks.

I've decided to really push the boat out now and over the next few months along with some work colleagues I'm embarking on a project to develop a sequential turbo-charger system for my car as a bit of fun. I work for an OEM (not volvo sadly) as a control systems engineer - we are a tier 1 automotive manufacturer so there are a lot of knowledgeable people around me (thankfully!)

Anyway, I have a few questions that I am sure the forum members will be able to help me with. Ettienne as my one-stop-shop for volvo parts thus far has kindly given me a spec list of potential parts that would fulfill my needs, just looking for any shared experience on these parts, alternatives that could be looked at, or other upgrades to consider whilst everything is apart.

The aim is to see 400hp+ with really smooth delivery and buckets of torque throughout the ERPM range.

Engine wise I've gone with a S60R engine for the internals and will either match that block (shimmed obvs) with an 850 head or rebore the 850 2.3 to take the S60R internals. Any opinions on which to do? Overall what is the reliable HP limit of this engine spec in peoples experience?

I'm carrying out a full rebuild of the block and head - are there any aftermarket parts worth considering instead of OEM in the valve train/bearings/fasteners? Looking at NA cams as an option but need to do some more research on what benefits they bring, they also seem to be quite rare!

Head porting - worth it? Did have small benefits on the NA engines I used to play with but these were the days of spending thousands to gain 10hp!! Any other comments or suggestions on the engine front would be great.

Questions to follow on transmission & management options. Don't complain about FWD - watching the other project on here about the AWD conversion with great interest, and management plans are interesting....

Cheers

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Another option is that, you could fit the s60r internals to the 850/awd 2.5l lpt block with no machining necessary and should be a very reliable upgrade I have been told and I am considering doing myself, should I stumble across some s60r internals.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've been working on the mystery coolant behaviour recently - taken from another thread:

"When cold it can all but disappear from the tank and when driven hard it fills the tank to the brim, I suggest very close to blowing! Gentle driving does also get some expansion, but only within normal bounds. It's using a small amount but nothing excessive, it seems more like the system is being pressurised based on how hard the car is driven.

If the system is pressurised to the brim of the tank and I switch the engine off it immediately begins to drain with a gurgling sound and the tank returns to normal levels, this will also happen if I crack the tank cap when the car is hot.

Last year I replaced the water pump and thermostat as part of a overall service and of course replaced the coolant. I did the coolant again on Friday paying extra attention to bleeding and ensuring the thermostat was opening correctly (which it was).

I guess at this point I am looking at either a failing HG or even worse a split liner. Can anyone suggest some diagnostic methods to determine this either way?

So I had a head cleaned up and skimmed and I then fitted it to the car along with a new HG. Also replaced the two large coolant lines, coolant tank + cap, thermostat, gaskets, coolant etc - all Volvo original parts and...... its still got the issue!

I took great care cleaning the block to ensure a good seat for the HG, as well as cleaning all the coolant deposits from the various coolant line fittings. I also carefully inspected each cylinder and there was no evidence of cracking etc. Compression test all ok.

So... what am I looking at now - heater matrix? Radiator? Water pump? Any ideas because I'm stumped!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pingpong For This Useful Post:

petrolh34d (Thursday 22nd June 2017)

Thread Information