Join Today
    I Roll

Thanks

Handbrake jammed on

I know the handbrake shoes are a common fault on these cars, they were last replaced around 4 years ago.

I washed (and jet washed) my car on Saturday, then moved it into place on the drive. I came to use it this morning (weds) and the handbrake on the offside won't release. I've experienced it before where the handbrake would seize on, usually after washing it then not using it but a quick rock forwards and back would release it. THis feels worse and no amount of rocking will relese it, although the rear wheels are on pebbles this time so maybe that is the issue?

My fear is the shoes have de-laminated inside the drum and trying any harder to move the car will cause damage to the hub/drum assembly.

I have removed the caliper and disc retaining bolt but can't get the disc off, it rotates slightly but only by the same amount it does when the handbrake is on.

How do I get the drum off?!

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garett View Post
    I know the handbrake shoes are a common fault on these cars, they were last replaced around 4 years ago.

I washed (and jet washed) my car on Saturday, then moved it into place on the drive. I came to use it this morning (weds) and the handbrake on the offside won't release. I've experienced it before where the handbrake would seize on, usually after washing it then not using it but a quick rock forwards and back would release it. THis feels worse and no amount of rocking will relese it, although the rear wheels are on pebbles this time so maybe that is the issue?

My fear is the shoes have de-laminated inside the drum and trying any harder to move the car will cause damage to the hub/drum assembly.

I have removed the caliper and disc retaining bolt but can't get the disc off, it rotates slightly but only by the same amount it does when the handbrake is on.

How do I get the drum off?!
    The P2 handbrake set up is a bit 'special'!

Have you slackened off the 10mm nut on the handbrake assembley and pushed the cable back?

There is no internal adjustment on the P2's.

Once you've slackened off the nut some hard knocks with a big hammer on the drum part of the disc should alow you to wiggle it off, don't hit the friction part of the disc unless you are going to change them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

Garett (Friday 23rd October 2015)

I Roll

Thanks
    No I haven't slackened off the 10mm nut, just took the 2x 13mm off for the caliper.

Where is the 10mm nut is the other hex head next to the lower caliper bolt?

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Have you tried rocking forwards and backwards. Unless the cable has seized you might be dismantling them again..

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    After a good wash, I've had this issue with every Volvo that I've owned, unless I've gone for a short drive after the wash before parking up for a few days. As above, I have been seen to rock around in my car trying to free the brakes which has sometimes worked as we live on a slight hill as well. Even seized up with the handbrake not even applied on one occasion.

I Roll

Thanks
    Tryed rocking as its happened before, rocking doesn't seem to budge it. Just caused wheelspin from the front when I really went for it!

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    No I haven't slackened off the 10mm nut, just took the 2x 13mm off for the caliper.

Where is the 10mm nut is the other hex head next to the lower caliper bolt?
    It's under the actual handbrake. Slackening it off releases the shoes inside the disk

https://youtu.be/vtKfoUeIxS4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

Garett (Friday 23rd October 2015)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Tryed rocking as its happened before, rocking doesn't seem to budge it. Just caused wheelspin from the front when I really went for it!
    Lol!! Think my neighbours must have thought that I'd totally lost it when I did it. My 850 was the worst for this issue, but I think the shoes were shot at the time as well.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I made the mistake of changing the rear discs and pads but not doing the internal handbrake shoes... In fact I never realised they were there until too late.

The friction material soon came apart which resulted in lots of horrible noise and me buying the full spring kit and new handbrake shoes and fitting bits, used Bosch parts.

Nice and quiet and seems not to stick, I think the spring and fitting kit is critical.

This was on an 850.

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    I left a black stripe around the block by my house with my R.
    Even after replacing the lot it still used to seize if left for a while.
    Never had problems with the t5 though...
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

I Roll

Thanks
    So I took a lump hammer to the hub part of the disc, a couple of swift thwacks saw the sticking brake unstick, hurray! Still unsure what condition the shoes were in I persevered in getting the disc off. There is a bit of a lip on the inside of the drum which made this a bit difficult but some wiggling and levering and hammering soon got it off.

I was glad to find the shoes intact but slightly gutted that it was just a stuck brake after all that effort getting the disc off. Still I was glad I took the cautious approach and checked it wasn't something more sinister.

The shoes look in great condition with plenty of meat on them, they are genuine Volvo too which I was pleased to see. Unfortunately in getting the disc off the retaining springs have been weakened/stretched somewhat, so I paid a visit to Clive Brook Volvo in Bradford on my lunch break who relived me of £4.44 for 2x Springs, not too bad I thought.

Tomorrow I will reassemble, one more question - Is there a knack to removing the shoe retaining springs?

These ones for reference http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images...size_20722.jpg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Garett For This Useful Post:

Biff (Friday 23rd October 2015)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    What's the mileage on your car Garett? Only, it's also not uncommon that over time the handbrake cables will corrode, especially if there is any damage whatsoever to the cable outer sheath!
    Before reassembly it is worthwhile spraying copious amounts of WD40 into the handbrake cable, just where the metal cable comes out the collar.. un couple the cable from the rear assy and raise as high as possible so the wd40 travels along the cable.
    After reassembly, move the handbrake lever through its full travel many times.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Garett (Saturday 24th October 2015)

I Roll

Thanks
    Its on 181,000 miles now so is probably worth doing, I will be sure it give it a go, just about the brave the crappy weather and head outside to do it.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Its on 181,000 miles now so is probably worth doing, I will be sure it give it a go, just about the brave the crappy weather and head outside to do it.
    The handbrake cables are a bitch to do on the P2R and not advisable on your driveway, especially in crap weather!
    I've just had all 3 of mine replaced at the dealer and even they needed an extra half day to complete the job. Mine had done 144k and were well and truly f***ed. I'd been leaving my car in gear for about 3 months because if I put the handbrake on, it would take days to release fully, if at all!

New cables are about £55ea.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I don't see what all the issues are with handbrakes cables.

How different is the setup on a non 4WD version?

Certainly on my P2 T5 the handbrake cables were a doddle and took me about an hour start to finish (and that included a whole hub change due to the casting being sheared off by the delaminated shoes spinning around in the hub)

I did fit older 850/V70 adjusters to the shoes though, because they are a pig to bed in with non OEM Volvo shoes using just the 10mm nut at the handbrake lever.

Just keep smacking it with a hammer, the disc will eventually come off.

Thread Information