Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Had a big of an accident.....what have I bent?

So first day on the new job last Monday,

Driving along, someone pulled straight out on me, swerved into the path of an oncoming car, swerved back, spun and smacked the front passenger wheel into the kerb!

Only been able to have a quick look but I know I need a new wheel and wheel bearing.

Noticed I'm tonight it's got some negative camber. Had a look underneath and nothing looks bent. Subframe all looks straight as does the bottom arm, but on the back plate for the brake you can see where the knuckle around the ball joint has hit it.

Is there something on these that tends to go with that sort of impact because I remember in the Saxo days the bottom arms were made of cheese! Anywhere I should look at closer?

Cheers guys
    2001 S60 T5

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    You might have bent the shock or it's mountings. Best get the wheel off and have a proper look.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    So with the opposite wheel in a dead straight ahead position, which way is the wheel, that hit the kerb, facing?
    If viewed from the top....pointing in at the front is negative toe and pointing out is positive.
    Are you sure you have negative camber?? Normally, when you hit a kerb sideways, you bend the lower arm (wishbone) giving you POSITIVE camber.
    If the top of the wheel is leaning out (viewed from the front) then this = Positive camber.

I've never seen a car involved in a minor accident that's struck a kerb, side on, to have Negative camber!

If your car is toeing in/out then this would suggest you've bent the track control arm (either direction giving toe in or out) and the lower arm is ok.

here's a great simple video of the difference's.

I apologise now if I'm insulting your intelligence, I'm just trying to establish exactly your vehicles condition.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Saturday 17th October 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry my own fault!
    (Blame 12 hour days at work!)

Positive camber is what I meant, both wheels are fairly straight ahead, if one was turned inwards or outwards id have instantly thought track control arm.
    But it is as though the lower wishbone is bent but when I look under it seems ok.
    Wheel bearing is definateley had it there's about 4mm of play in if and it sounds knackered and the wheel is buckled.

I wouldn't have thought the wheel bearing alone would mane the wheel look like the top is poking out. If anything I think with the weight of the car on it it would look like it's got more negative camber
    2001 S60 T5

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    So what's bent?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information