Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K605ewa View Post
    Yup, I twigged the b...££££ about the turbo but the company who reconditioned my turbo set the wastegate to open early. I have every confidence that when I have corrected the mistake to "half a hole" or around 5mm not the 1-2 mm movement of the actuator rod they imposed on me, some more power will appear. I unlocked the actuator rod, loosening the 10mm nut, removed the circlip and pulled off the rod from wastegate spigot. I tried to rotate the turnbuckle but could not actually move it. Locking compound or crimping??? Looks like a small dimple in the turnbuckle body.
    What I am very interested in is the condition of the regulating valve. If this indeed triggered a fault in my Robou, then it will have to go back and be mended.
    Would anyone have a known, proven, regulating valve I can buy from them please. It would be pointless to have the ECU checked to find the regulating valve may blow it again. I will, of course check the resistance as Robou suggested.
    The red pipe from the regulating valve goes to a new diaphragm working the actuator rod. The wastegate is new.
    The white pipe goes from the turbo area to the regulating valve. Let me know if the set up is erroneous.
    This is all proving quite disheartening.
    I replied on the 480 forum but repeated here...

Try using molegrips fella rather than pliers. Here's a schematic of the system

Name:  scheme-klein.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  50.3 KB

Top hose (black) feeds pressure to the solenoid, middle hose (red) goes to wastegate actuator. Yellow hose not so important. Colour references are to my photo, which may not match yours. If you suspect your boost solenoid it's resistance between pins can be checked...

...but if you have no luck I may have one somewhere

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

K605ewa (Monday 15th February 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well, the ECU is off back to Robou for an MOT....

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Well, the ECU is off back to Robou for an MOT....
    oh right, hope you get to the bottom of it

Is the wastegate rod adjusted correctly now?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok, here's the way it is. The turbo gauge indicates the exact same position in 1-5 gears using the standard ECU as it does with the Robou mod. This is totally illogical. Robou said there is nothing wrong with his mod. I received it back a few days ago from him after he had checked it out. This means the signal from the standard ECU to the solenoid booster valve is exactly the same as the signal from the modded one. Again totally illogical. In first and second the solenoid booster dumps the power early as it should and then closes, increasing turbo boost, as you go up the gears to 5th. Given that the engine with the mod is a few degrees advanced and the fuel is re-mapped, the increase in acceleration is felt with the modded ECU. My problem is that I know the modded ECU should hold back the wastegate actuator until the gauge reaches the yellow/red zone. Assuming the turbo works as per, which it does, Apart from the solenoid booster valve, is there any other electrical unit which could be interfering with the system. It can't be the dump valve that is new and is probably set at about 1 bar. The engine is only receiving standard boost, so the dump valve shouldn't be the problem.??????????????????????????? I am hoping the solenoid valve is at fault but looking at it logically, on standard ECU the system works ok. If, as he says it does, the modded ECU is ok, then why isn't the Robou holding the booster valve closed.
    My biggest problem with all this is that the mod has no effect on the boost at all.
    Is there anyone in England who can help me sort this out. I will pay for your expertise and any parts you use. Otherwise this is a white elephant???
    Last edited by K605ewa; Wednesday 16th March 2016 at 20:57.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Ok, here's the way it is. The turbo gauge indicates the exact same position in 1-5 gears using the standard ECU as it does with the Robou mod. This is totally illogical. Robou said there is nothing wrong with his mod. I received it back a few days ago from him after he had checked it out. This means the signal from the standard ECU to the solenoid booster valve is exactly the same as the signal from the modded one. Again totally illogical. In first and second the solenoid booster dumps the power early as it should and then closes, increasing turbo boost, as you go up the gears to 5th. Given that the engine with the mod is a few degrees advanced and the fuel is re-mapped, the increase in acceleration is felt with the modded ECU. My problem is that I know the modded ECU should hold back the wastegate actuator until the gauge reaches the yellow/red zone. Assuming the turbo works as per, which it does, Apart from the solenoid booster valve, is there any other electrical unit which could be interfering with the system. It can't be the dump valve that is new and is probably set at about 1 bar. The engine is only receiving standard boost, so the dump valve shouldn't be the problem.??????????????????????????? I am hoping the solenoid valve is at fault but looking at it logically, on standard ECU the system works ok. If, as he says it does, the modded ECU is ok, then why isn't the Robou holding the booster valve closed.
    My biggest problem with all this is that the mod has no effect on the boost at all.
    Is there anyone in England who can help me sort this out. I will pay for your expertise and any parts you use. Otherwise this is a white elephant???
    Like I said on the Skype disappointing that this hasn't been resolved. The only things I can think of would be boost leak (including the recirc leaking back to inlet side) or the boost solenoid. Have a good pull at all the hoses & lines or maybe a smoke test will pick any leaks up apart from the recirc. The recirc valve can be checked by trying to blow through the smallest connection on it. As mentioned make sure it is sitting correctly with the locating tab in the correct place.

Is that wastegate actuator adjusted correctly now btw I can't remember if you went back to the place that adjusted it. If there are no leaks and the recirc is OK it might be a case of adjusting the rod until you see the boost gauge get to the end of the yellow. Since the ECU is working correctly as Robou says then fuel & timing should be adjusted for the higher boost. Go careful though...I've got a spare engine if you need one...! Bullet proof way to do it would be to get a more accurate boost gauge and an AFR meter up the exhaust. I think Robou aims for about 13.5 psig so AFR's should be fine up til that point (maybe you could confirm that with him - what is the maximum boost expected with this ECU)

The problem is with these cars that there is not many of them about now & the knowledge just isn't there anymore for modifying. I ran out of time & money on them - it's hard work to modify a car that isn't mint to start with (as is usually the case for me)
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Thursday 17th March 2016 at 14:04.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    bump...believe this was resolved by replacing boost solenoid and/or recirc valve

Thread Information