car looks well have a soft spot for these late s/v40s
    1995 854 t5r

2. The Following User Says Thank You to martybelfastt5 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 26th October 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Hi Biff, I have just come over too the dark side,got myself a V40 02 plate with 156k on her,
    Just bought it a couple of weeks ago with a duff turbo but today found out turbo is like new after replacing it and the waste gate actuator is knackered.
    Will try and get some pics up when it is cleaned up. It's only a SE so doesn't have the back lights but has a front splitter.
    Good to see its not just me had to leave the petrol behind... For now anyway!
    Thanks for the comments..
    They are nice cars, I've managed to get my wheels balanced this weekend which has sorted my high speed wobble. I'm waiting on a wind back tool for my calipers & then hopefully have my rear brakes sorted this week as my peddle is pulsing like crazy.
    Managed to establish that I have no boost leaks, gave it a service (although it looked like it had been done yesterday) a full tank of nitro+ diesel & some reddex.
    Acceleration is still very poor but improved a little. I really have to thrash it to get it to go (killing my mpg) & as stated between 1200 - 2000rpm the car is shocking. So much so that I'm scared I'm going to cause an accident! I've been sticking to the A-roads for my commute.
    Any ideas what the best way to test the actuator would be?
    I need to get this car sorted as its really an effort to use it at the minute.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    I miss my V40. Had hlm remap that made a great difference. Rear calipers I used to wind back with the pointy ends of long nose pliers :-)
    Enjoy the car mate.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CONDYBOY For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 27th October 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Made a bit more progress today, changed the rear discs & pads & happy to report my brake peddle no longer pulsates like a black mamba. Good work.
    I have stuck fuel additive in the last 2 tanks. It does feel much better but still have flat spots between 1500 & 2000k, also about 3k in 5th. I've changed fuel filter air filter oil filter & full oil change & cleaned the Egr. My mpg is bad, about 35mpg but I have been giving it some welly on the odd cold morning.
    Walking the dog tonight it dawned on me I've not yet unplugged the maf.
    Will try it tomorrow to see if it makes any difference.
    The car drives 10 times better than it did. I need to get my dads easy bleed kit & bleed the clutch & brakes now. The clutch is a tad high.
    As its my birthday on thurs I've asked everyone for money as I need a new head unit & possibly some upgraded speakers & cabling. How far I go depends on how well it sounds with just speakers, I have a Phoenix Gold 12" sub, Jbl 400w amp & a power cap. How good a sound I can get from the saloon body I don't know, I could possibly port the arm rest recess like i have in past cars.
    I'm half tempted to loose the wood inside. It does give an old man feel with the grey/cream interior.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    That does sound a bit like a bad maf mate.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 1st November 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
    That does sound a bit like a bad maf mate.
    The fact the flat spot moves dependant on the gear I'm in.. My old v70r was the same.
    Read a bit about maf cleaning spray, I will try that first then chuck on a new genuine one.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    The fact the flat spot moves dependant on the gear I'm in.. My old v70r was the same.
    Read a bit about maf cleaning spray, I will try that first then chuck on a new genuine one.
    Biff, what are you doing next Sunday? I ask cos I might be coming down to Wrexham for a breast cancer charity dog walk. I have maf cleaner and do you fancy joining us for a tenner? You and the dog have to wear one pink item..............

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foammanmark For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 1st November 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Lol cheers for the offer mate but it's my sons first birthday or I'd be on the Evo triangle run. Where is the walk?
    Disconnected the maf today & it feels more responsive up to 3000rpm.
    I do think it's maf related.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Pen-y-Lan estate mate.

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    Pen-y-Lan estate mate.
    Ah by Ruabon. Pretty easy to find mate. We're off to Chester zoo.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Went to see our friendly maintenance man today in work & "borrowed" some electric conductor cleaner to blast the maf with.
    I can report no flat spots up to 3k but I couldn't open it up to see how she went due to the fog & 60mph being my limit.
    The cars been great for cheap fixes & is saving me a fortune. £145 a year to tax too!
    Now the mechanicals are sorted I hope to sort some tunes as I'm driving in silence or with my headphones in. 60 mile round trip is getting boring but at least I don't have any annoying squeaks!
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Wednesday 4th November 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you aint too fussed about the type of head unit, I have a reasonable one ( cant think of make or model ) that I removed from my soon to be sold/scrapped Audi A4. Send me your address and I'll post it out in the morning. I will post later tonight what it is as it is rattling around in the rear of my Avant A4. Reckon I should get my T4 back from my mate and let him use the Avant !!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zoidberg For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 2nd November 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for your kind offer! I've already got a brand new alpine head unit compatible with my phone. £36 delivered is not to be sniffed at. I'm in need of a facia which is cheap enough & the adaption loom. I'm a bit puzzled as to whether it has an amp or not as it has the plug.
    I am now enjoying driving it, it's not what I'm used to performance wise but I like it. My wife's golf is much quicker but I can work on that in time. I would love to try a t4 now I've had this. You should get it back.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No worries................... thought by your posts that you didn't have one !!
    So I shall stick iy on the for sale bit.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zoidberg For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 3rd November 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    stupid phone wont let me upload a pic of my v40 tdi onto this comment but if you look on my profile its on there an nice to see some one else with a v40 tdi on here
    an seen you was in about the stereo. there is a total of 3 adaptor cables needed depending on the year 1 is for radio ariel 2nd is 2 cables 1 for power an 1 for speakers an 3rd cables is for the built in amp other wise it will all sound flat. i still need the 3rd cable myself but im to much of a cheapskate as its £18 alone on ebay an with my sub i cant really tell an the other 2 cables are about £12 altogether
    an a local remmaping company near me will map the 115bhp upto about 155bhp with no other mods
    not sure what im currently running without a map at the moment but i can keep up with a mk4 golf gttdi 130bhp
    ive upped the boost 4psi
    removed both cats
    blanked egr
    if the roads are wet it will spin until i hit 3rd an im currently running 205 40 17
    also ive currently got 40mm springs all round less than a year old which will be up for sale soon as ive got a set of coilovers to go on an would only be looking for £50 for the springs
    Volvo v40 115bhp tdi
    lowered 40mm - both cats removed - no bax box an twin tip - t4 spoiler - debadged egg crate grill - blacked out an stickered headlights with led side lights an hids - laguna splitter - 18inch 8j front 9j rear axe deep dish alloys - boost turned up alittle - fly eye tinted side markers - led bulbs every where - debadged - black sport indicators

future plans - coilovers - remap (once clutch done as abit high) - fit bigger fmic - respray front an rear bumpers

23. The Following User Says Thank You to teddy241091 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 9th November 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy241091 View Post
    stupid phone wont let me upload a pic of my v40 tdi onto this comment but if you look on my profile its on there an nice to see some one else with a v40 tdi on here
    an seen you was in about the stereo. there is a total of 3 adaptor cables needed depending on the year 1 is for radio ariel 2nd is 2 cables 1 for power an 1 for speakers an 3rd cables is for the built in amp other wise it will all sound flat. i still need the 3rd cable myself but im to much of a cheapskate as its £18 alone on ebay an with my sub i cant really tell an the other 2 cables are about £12 altogether
    an a local remmaping company near me will map the 115bhp upto about 155bhp with no other mods
    not sure what im currently running without a map at the moment but i can keep up with a mk4 golf gttdi 130bhp
    ive upped the boost 4psi
    removed both cats
    blanked egr
    if the roads are wet it will spin until i hit 3rd an im currently running 205 40 17
    also ive currently got 40mm springs all round less than a year old which will be up for sale soon as ive got a set of coilovers to go on an would only be looking for £50 for the springs
    Cheers dude! From what I can see on my phone you car looks bang tidy!
    To host pictures your better off using photobucket as its probably the easiest way. Be great to see some pics of yours, wheels look right up my street! Have you started a build thread?
    Us v/s40 owners are rare although we have a slammed v40 with huge wheels local to me.
    Definitely be interested in the springs in the new year, although not sure what difference mine would be being an s40?
    From what I've read about 145bhp is my max with the standard set up, as much as I'd love to decat it & remove the egr I'm trying to keep it sensible as a daily so I can eventually get another t5 to add to the fleet.
    With the head unit, I have an amp adapter lead off my old v70, it's the grey & green plug I need. I'm hoping my double din to single din adapter fits from my old v70 also. I'm still unsure whether I have an amp, I've got the plug but can't find it in the boot where I have read it is. My car is well spec'd so would of thought it has got one.
    Cheers for the response.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    So I have my new juke box....

Next up I need the wiring harness to connect it to these plugs.

Found one on eBay for £9.99 but it's for an s80. Surely these plugs must be the same.
    Pictured are the plugs I think are for the amp, if it exists?!
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    best to add me on fb mate to keep in touch if you want springs ect as not on here daily
    search daniel tedstone
    Volvo v40 115bhp tdi
    lowered 40mm - both cats removed - no bax box an twin tip - t4 spoiler - debadged egg crate grill - blacked out an stickered headlights with led side lights an hids - laguna splitter - 18inch 8j front 9j rear axe deep dish alloys - boost turned up alittle - fly eye tinted side markers - led bulbs every where - debadged - black sport indicators

future plans - coilovers - remap (once clutch done as abit high) - fit bigger fmic - respray front an rear bumpers

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy241091 View Post
    best to add me on fb mate to keep in touch if you want springs ect as not on here daily
    search daniel tedstone
    I'm not on face book mate but bare me in mind when you take them off.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Saturday 14th November 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    out of intrest mate you still got the nokia system you removed as ive still got mine but the buttons missing an i use mine quite alot an will take a pic to see if mines the same
    Volvo v40 115bhp tdi

Thread Information