Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fires then dies

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Ecu has been unplugged for 24hrs, still fires and dies. Disconnected the maf and no different.

All the time it's firing and dying the lambda light stays on.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would try unplugging the immobilizer next & see if it acts any differently to how it is now.... they don't run for very long! almost so it gets to idle revs & dies immediately

Its always going to be tricky when you have various systems fitted! What would vol fcr read on your car? I never tried it on anything apart from the 4.3 ecu & I think most of my obd wiring has now gone anyway....
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
    I would try unplugging the immobilizer next & see if it acts any differently to how it is now.... they don't run for very long! almost so it gets to idle revs & dies immediately

Its always going to be tricky when you have various systems fitted! What would vol fcr read on your car? I never tried it on anything apart from the 4.3 ecu & I think most of my obd wiring has now gone anyway....
    I've done some more checks, I have 12v going to all 5 coil packs and a good spark, The fuel pump fuse is ok and I have fuel pressure, the injectors are pulsing. As all of the above check out ok I would hazard a guess the fault is not with the immobiliser.

I have vol-fcr but it will only read the fault codes when the engine is running.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    For the record gents, an alternator whether faulty or not, won't cause the symptoms the OP has.

Was the battery disconnected whilst you changed the alternator? If so, then it's more than likely that your ecu has lost all its 'learned' settings and now can't start due to adaptation not complete.
    It is possible that there may be too many fault codes preventing the car from starting. This has happened to me before on various makes and models.
    If your 100% certain that you have have 12v and 5v present at the MAF, switching signal at the injectors, normal amp draw and 12v at the fuel pump fuse with fuel pressure in the rail, then the car should run.

Double check all your fuses before doing anything else as it's very easy to blow a 5 or 7.5amp ecu fuse.
    If they are all ok then it will almost certainly be immobiliser related.

Have you tried locking the car....wait for the led to settle after about 30 seconds, then unlock and try to start the car.
    DONT TOUCH THE THROTTLE ON CRANK!!

See what happens. It has to something simple.
    Remember of course that you will induce faults and error codes if you unplug sensors whilst the ignition is on!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Was the battery disconnected whilst you changed the alternator? If so, then it's more than likely that your ecu has lost all its 'learned' settings and now can't start due to adaptation not complete. The battery was disconnected whilst the alternator was changed, when I moved the battery to the boot the battery was disconnected for well over a week, when reconnected it started with no problems
    It is possible that there may be too many fault codes preventing the car from starting. This has happened to me before on various makes and models.
    If your 100% certain that you have have 12v and 5v present at the MAF, switching signal at the injectors, normal amp draw and 12v at the fuel pump fuse with fuel pressure in the rail, then the car should run.

Double check all your fuses before doing anything else as it's very easy to blow a 5 or 7.5amp ecu fuse. I'll check all the fuses tomorrow.
    If they are all ok then it will almost certainly be immobiliser related.

Have you tried locking the car....wait for the led to settle after about 30 seconds, then unlock and try to start the car.
    DONT TOUCH THE THROTTLE ON CRANK!! The car can only be locked with the key as the remote fob stopped working years ago.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post

I have vol-fcr but it will only read the fault codes when the engine is running.
    even the non 4.4 stuff?

I would have assumed you would have been able to read the abs/immobilizer/cruise or whatever your car has?

do you still have an alarm fitted? the original 850 one?
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Hmm...

Sorry to jump in, but does the dash LED do anything during any of this?

From reading all the above, I'm pretty convinced it's an immob problem.
    I have spare fobs here, I could send you one to pair to the car to try if you like?

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    On 4.3 mapped ecu's, the immobilizer is disabled, my rear engine wont start on a standard ecu, does exactly the same as Robs, I have to use a mapped ecu in it
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    even the non 4.4 stuff?

I would have assumed you would have been able to read the abs/immobilizer/cruise or whatever your car has?

do you still have an alarm fitted? the original 850 one?
    I'm running a M4.4 ecu, it still has the orginal alarm fitted but I don't have a key fob to arm the alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Hmm...

Sorry to jump in, but does the dash LED do anything during any of this?

From reading all the above, I'm pretty convinced it's an immob problem.
    I have spare fobs here, I could send you one to pair to the car to try if you like?
    The dash LED does nothing,

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    On 4.3 mapped ecu's, the immobilizer is disabled, my rear engine wont start on a standard ecu, does exactly the same as Robs, I have to use a mapped ecu in it
    I'm I right in thinking with the M4.4 software from VS the immobiliser is disabled ?

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Well you'd be welcome to give one a whirl, just give us a shout.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    I'm I right in thinking with the M4.4 software from VS the immobiliser is disabled ?
    Yep, the immobiliser is disabled in the VS hacked binary

Just a quick thought, have you tired reflashing the software to the ostrich? I remember reading about a problem from ages ago when someone with a TT had to reflash it as something had gone wrong somehow. And as TT uses the same hardware (ostrich) it may be duplicated?
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Saturday 10th October 2015 at 12:49.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Update - still fires & dies.

I was convinced the problem was the maf so I got a working maf & 2 key fobs from ettienne (Steve)
    Fitted the maf - no change
    checked all 35 fuse - no change
    reflashed the ostrich - no change

Tried to code the fobs to the car, on the 5th turn of the ignition with the fob button pressed the led on the dash flashes for 10 seconds then goes out. Both of the fobs would code themselfs to the car - could this because the immobiliser is disabled in the ecu binary or I have a immobiliser fault.

Sparyed some WD40 in the ignition lock and wriggled the key when starting - no change
    After spending the day trying to the car started I managed to flattern the battery.
    I'm at a complete loss why it won't start, all I did was change the alternator.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    On fifth flick of the ignition, the light flashes.
    Should then stay lit for a second when the fob button is pressed.
    Each fob to be used must be logged, one after the other before ignition off.
    Then ignition off to save them I think.

Not sure, but I think that unless you turn the ignition off before the led stops flashing, the system disregards it and reverts to previous settings.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    It does sound like an immobiliser problem, Rachel's V70 does the same thing occasionally, just needs locking and unlocking with the fob, and it's fine. Obviously you can't do this with no fob, and if your immobiliser is disabled anyway, then it's a moot point anyway. Does Steve's BSR code reader not bring up any codes? my generic code reader doesn't need the engine running to read the codes, just the ignition on. As I'm working in Romsey, I could always pop in, and plug it in for you to try.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    My friend did have a similar fault with his alternator, it had a dead short in it, without looking back at your posts, have you disconnected the wiring from the alternator and tried it, I'm pretty sure that would have been the first thing you did.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

CDO Sufferer
    Thanks
    Tried a new/working battery on it and checked the alternator's regulator? It may be causing your ECU to go nuts. Welcome to try my battery if you need to borrow a new one.

This user has no status

Thanks
    My friend did have a similar fault with his alternator, it had a dead short in it, without looking back at your posts, have you disconnected the wiring from the alternator and tried it, I'm pretty sure that would have been the first thing you did.
    I would assume the same! I probably would have just removed the belt first though!

assuming it has no immobiliser yet showing the same symptoms I would be suspecting an ecu fault! or something affecting the ecu after initial start up.....

I would also remove the alarm relay & jumper terminal 50E & 50F on the 210 side as the alarm relay can stop it running....
    Last edited by PNuT; Monday 12th October 2015 at 06:13.

Wiping smiles off faces!

Thanks
    Have you made sure all plugs to sensors haven't been knocked, and the little wire that plugs into the alternator is still in place?

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    It does sound like an immobiliser problem, Rachel's V70 does the same thing occasionally, just needs locking and unlocking with the fob, and it's fine. Obviously you can't do this with no fob, and if your immobiliser is disabled anyway, then it's a moot point anyway. Does Steve's BSR code reader not bring up any codes? my generic code reader doesn't need the engine running to read the codes, just the ignition on. As I'm working in Romsey, I could always pop in, and plug it in for you to try.
    The hacked M4.4 software from VS will only allow the fault codes to accessed when the engine is running, its something to do with the baud rate.

Will try this today

Quote Originally Posted by jimka View Post
    Tried a new/working battery on it and checked the alternator's regulator? It may be causing your ECU to go nuts. Welcome to try my battery if you need to borrow a new one.
    The battery is only a few months old.

I would assume the same! I probably would have just removed the belt first though!

assuming it has no immobiliser yet showing the same symptoms I would be suspecting an ecu fault! or something affecting the ecu after initial start up.....

I would also remove the alarm relay & jumper terminal 50E & 50F on the 210 side as the alarm relay can stop it running....
    Will try this today aswell.

I've been thinking about why it won't start,

When it fires it revs to 1500 rpm then dies, if the throttle is depressed when the engine fires it make no difference.

To me it's got fuel and a spark as it firing,
    But it won't run - to make it run the ecu needs to know the following,

Amount of air being drawn in.
    Position of throttle butterfly.
    Position of the crank & cam shafts.

As its firing you would think all of the above are working, I've changed the MAF for a working one. So today I'm going to start by trying Claymores & PNut ideas if they don't work I'm then going to changing over sensors to hopefully find the fault.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Good luck

If it is the same map as the volvospeed one then I think you can enable pre start OBD2 so you can retrieve any codes. You need to connect via the OBD port and send a 'o' via a terminal emulator (like realterm)

Info at the bottom of the page here: http://m44.wikia.com/wiki/Data_logging
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information