Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Valve stem seals

Good morning all,
    My R needs the stem seals doing and I'm wondering if any of you guys have done them leaving the head on??

I rebuilt the bottom end 10k ago and like an idiot didn't think to change them.

Any info welcome??

This user has no status

Thanks
    I haven't done them with the head on but if it were me by the time you taken the cams out etc, it's not much more to whip the head off, the whole process must be a lot easier the trying to do it in situ

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    There is a tool system that you can use to change the stem seals in situ, works by pressurising the cylinder through the spark plug hole with an air compressor, then using a tool that attaches to the head somehow to compress the valve springs and thus after some fiddling get to the valve stem seals. Though this tool set may cost a lot of money.

The alternative is to remove the head but then you have to factor in the costs for all the gaskets and new head bolts that need replacing plus tools like deep valve spring compressors.

Not sure on the costs I'm afraid but I can't imagine it would be cheap using either method.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    I wrote on the same issue a while back here There's a video that shows you what to do.

I even bought a kit from the US c.£100, but haven't plucked up the courage to use it yet. The stem seals aren't leaking that badly to warrant the risk / hassle.

I was planning on using a thin rope to feed into the cyclinder, then the turn the crank shaft to press it up against the valves to prevent them from dropping in (poor man's compressed air).

If anyone is local to Warrington and wants to borrow the kit then PM me, as it's currently gathering dust on a shelf.

C
    Last edited by TenaciousC; Thursday 24th September 2015 at 15:08.

Thread Information