Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

My 50k of trouble free T5 motoring has come to an end...

Evening all,

After eight years ownership and 50k virtually trouble free miles, my car has thrown a wobbler!

It's a 99 me7 T5 with 174k on the clock.

It went into limp mode and both the ets and engine management lights came on, no revs above about 2k rpm and a terribly lumpy idle. I am well aware of the dreaded etm issues with my car and was pretty miffed when I limped it home and pulled a P0121 fault code with my reader.

It's looking very much like my etm has had it's day :-(

What's the general opinion on what I do next? I'm not sure if cleaning the etm will help much? I'm pretty sure my etm is an original white sticker one so it's failure was almost inevitable!

Any tips on where I go from here will be very greatfuly received thanks

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    I am pretty sure that the contacts in your etm can be replaced I think the bloke at Volvo Diagnostics fixes them,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok thanks I'll make some enquiries.

Any tips on changing the etm as it looks like a bit of a pig to get to!?

"Need More Power
    Captain"
    Thanks
    i took mine off when i had trouble and gave it a good clean out and works fine now
    i did post a few pics but not sure if on my project thread or not
    C70 2.4 T Saffy Pearl now dead and stripped
    850 T5 "the Turk" wagon
    V70 D5 parked up for sale
    V50 1.8s family wagon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hmm I wonder if it's worth giving mine a good clean first as from what I can see from under the bonnet, it does look quite oily and manky? If the mechanical contacts are worn surely cleaning the butterfly assembly won't make any difference?

I've seen the newer contactless repair kits for sale, does anybody have any experience of repairing it themselves?

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    BE CAREFUL not to push the butterfly open by hand (as I did when stripping to clean ON MY V70 P2) It screwed the pooch!

Clean with the butterfly SHUT or leave it plugged in and get Mrs Turbo to open the throttle, its fiddly but wont trash the positioning. I now have to replace my LOVELY SHINY ETM because I pushed the butterfly open, this (according to Robert DIY on You Tube) can ruin the memory and positioning data and can need an ECU reprogram?

My idling went all over the place up to horrifying revs sitting at traffic lights (2500 - 3000 RPM -like having a launch control - anti lag running!) BUT OMG did she accelerate lol. Your ETM is a lot bigger than the P2 but similar to mine in operation.Name:  015859909909f67f8396ac65e7d957bef0b56b5f5d.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  986.3 KB

On ebay they do this for your model sadly the P2 doesnt have a mod that I know of - anyone know of one please?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRONIC...item419961c241
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Tuesday 25th August 2015 at 08:57.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tee5alive For This Useful Post:

simpT5 (Tuesday 25th August 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just thought I'd post the conclusion to my problem for future reference

I removed my original white sticker etm and sent it off to lucas at volvo diagnostics for refurbishment as the cost of a new one from Volvo plus the necessary software coding was just too pricey. He phoned me a few days later to say my etm is not repairable as the circuitry inside was knackered. Great.

I was lucky enough to come across somebody breaking a C70 T5 on a V reg with a yellow sticker etm which is date stamped at 2007, I figured it must be worth a punt.

I'm pleased to say after fitting it, I left the ignition turned on for ten minutes before starting it with baited breath. It now runs and idles better than it ever has and all the dtc's have cleared from the ecu

So it seems if you replace the etm for a second hand one, even going from an earlier white sticker to the later yellow sticker one, as long as the donor car's year and engine type are the same there is no need for coding, just plug and play.

For reference the Volvo part number of my old white sticker etm was 9186793 and the newer yellow one is 8644347, may be of some use to someone in the future!

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simpT5 View Post
    Just thought I'd post the conclusion to my problem for future reference

I removed my original white sticker etm and sent it off to lucas at volvo diagnostics for refurbishment as the cost of a new one from Volvo plus the necessary software coding was just too pricey. He phoned me a few days later to say my etm is not repairable as the circuitry inside was knackered. Great.

I was lucky enough to come across somebody breaking a C70 T5 on a V reg with a yellow sticker etm which is date stamped at 2007, I figured it must be worth a punt.

I'm pleased to say after fitting it, I left the ignition turned on for ten minutes before starting it with baited breath. It now runs and idles better than it ever has and all the dtc's have cleared from the ecu

So it seems if you replace the etm for a second hand one, even going from an earlier white sticker to the later yellow sticker one, as long as the donor car's year and engine type are the same there is no need for coding, just plug and play.

For reference the Volvo part number of my old white sticker etm was 9186793 and the newer yellow one is 8644347, may be of some use to someone in the future!
    That's interesting, I was always led to believe they weren't interchangeable.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think you got the ETM I had my eye on! I didn't realise they ere date stamped which is handy.

BTW how much did you get quoted for the Job at Volvo for them to fit new? My father lin law got charged £250 a couple of years back which didn't seem too bad, even if Volvo should be doing it free anyway grrr.

Thread Information