Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    I must admit that I'm jealous cos that is one absolutely stunning car and you should be a very, very proud man.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Paint correction detail was £350
    Glass coating was £100
    Engine bay/Interior was £50
    Glass coating £100

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I don't give a 5h1t what you paid mate, it looks awesome and you're clearly happy with it.

You can't take it with you so spend it on what makes you happy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Saturday 8th August 2015),twr (Saturday 8th August 2015)

old skool rules

Thanks
    Tbh you have had a reasonable deal there, anybody that has done this like my self will no there is a lot of time involved in this. Getting the combo right for a start off is a job in its self. Especially on bmw paint as its one of the harder paints. Also the price of glass coating is expensive, Infact the majority of high end products are. Did he give you any tips on washing? I.e. Avoid the poles and maybe buy yourself a grit guard bucket and a wash mit etc.
    you will never be able to prevent swirls 100%, and on a dark colour they always show more. The car looks stunning enjoy, and like others have said its your hard earned cash spend it how you wish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twr For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Saturday 8th August 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    Glass coating £100
    What is your issue? If you think you know better, why don't you jack in working for the man, and go and do it for yourself? At your responses, there's clearly a lot more money in it than what you earn now.

Who gives a flying ££££ how much money it cost, it's not a concern or issue. I wanted the car done properly, and it has been. I'm very happy with the results, and despite what you think, happy with the price. I wouldn't do 3 days graft, including material costs for what he's charged. So in my eyes it's money well spent.

Amateurs, think they know it all
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Monday 10th August 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twr View Post
    Tbh you have had a reasonable deal there, anybody that has done this like my self will no there is a lot of time involved in this. Getting the combo right for a start off is a job in its self. Especially on bmw paint as its one of the harder paints. Also the price of glass coating is expensive, Infact the majority of high end products are. Did he give you any tips on washing? I.e. Avoid the poles and maybe buy yourself a grit guard bucket and a wash mit etc.
    you will never be able to prevent swirls 100%, and on a dark colour they always show more. The car looks stunning enjoy, and like others have said its your hard earned cash spend it how you wish.
    I never spoke to him about washing methods, as it's my intention to just get him to keep maintaining it. However I will do, as it may not always be convenient for him to clean the car when I need.

I have buckets with grit guards, and the proper mits, and understand the 2 bucket method etc... He also uses purified water, so you don't get any water spots, and also there is no need to dry the car with a towel I think he said. Maybe that something worth looking into? Or is that overkill?!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

twr (Saturday 8th August 2015)

old skool rules

Thanks
    Not at all Chris, the water filters do there job, there is nothing worse than water marks on black cars.

This user has no status

Thanks
    If Carlsberg detailed cars.............

Wish I could do this!!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Its nice too see a detailed motor and i'll bet it looks better in the flesh.
    Just as well you did not get the car done up here as it would have cost double what you paid. I therefore think you got a bargain at the price and the work involved.
    Post up the pics of the S60 when done.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    What is your issue? If you think you know better, why don't you jack in working for the man, and go and do it for yourself? At your responses, there's clearly a lot more money in it than what you earn now.

Who gives a flying ££££ how much money it cost, it's not a concern or issue. I wanted the car done properly, and it has been. I'm very happy with the results, and despite what you think, happy with the price. I wouldn't do 3 days graft, including material costs for what he's charged. So in my eyes it's money well spent.

Amateurs, think they know it all
    I don't have an Issue Chris. My first response was before even knowing what it cost. Yes the car looks great, but you copied and pasted what he says he does and to me that list isn't a complete detail and shouldn't take anywhere near the time he quotes.

I do it as a hobby and do the odd car for others. I've been told by various people I should take it up for a living as I'm good at it. I earn enough in what I do though thanks lol. Doing it for a living would take the fun out of it for me.

I guess knowing what a lot of these products cost to buy in, I cringe at how much some detailers mark them up at when it comes to quoting the customer, hence my surprise at the £100 for the glass coating.

As for calling me an amateur, well, that's up to you. I've been in car accessory sales for over 25 years now and dealt with many brands that are in the detailing industry and used most of them and also have a few friends who detail for a living who have taught me a lot.

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Plus he's jealous as yours is better than his.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Nice job.....although I must admit, I probably would've been more thorough on the interior....I see dirt on the rubber, scuffs on the plastics and the leather needs attention

That said, it's easy to pick fault when sat behind a keyboard. It's a Stunning car & I'm definitely green with envy.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    There the same cars, I've gone the oem + look, Chris has gone the modified look. I'm commenting on what the detailer does isn't a full detail. I'd say the same thing if Chris had put the thread up showing any of his other lovely cars. No jealously here.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    Nice job.....although I must admit, I probably would've been more thorough on the interior....I see dirt on the rubber, scuffs on the plastics and the leather needs attention

That said, it's easy to pick fault when sat behind a keyboard. It's a Stunning car & I'm definitely green with envy.
    I'm not picking fault with Chris's car, it's what the detailer says he does in the first post Chris put up that I'm picking fault with. Anyway we are going round in circles here, so no more from me on the subject. I've known Chris for many years and met him on numerous occasions and all his cars end up looking lovely, so it's his money and like he says, he's happy so

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    I know your just taking this piss, but in all fairness, it's horses for courses. They're the same car but just approached a bit differently. Mike's is modified, but far more OEM overall, which for a lot of people (possibly most) is a better direction.

Mikes car is just as well modified, maintained and looked after. It's certainly up there with the best E46's.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Its nice too see a detailed motor and i'll bet it looks better in the flesh.
    Just as well you did not get the car done up here as it would have cost double what you paid. I therefore think you got a bargain at the price and the work involved.
    Post up the pics of the S60 when done.
    I certainly will mate. It's going to him next week while I'm on holiday, something nice to come back to!

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    The most important question is: What fragrance is the complimentary air freshener?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post

Yeah I know what you mean. I just opted for a basic interior valet, ie vacuum and wipe the surfaces down. I could have had him do a full interior deep clean, maybe I will next time.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

stephenevans99 (Sunday 9th August 2015)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    You know it looks good, you don't need me to tell you how great it looks :p
    Thanks
    Martyn

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I understand what has been said regarding the costs of the products detailers use and the prices they charge yet i feel that, as long as they are good at what they do, its worth the money because of the time and effort they put in.

Its hard work to really get a car looking that good, i've spent 12 hours doing a car so to spend 3 days doing it.................well, i doubt i'd do it for 500.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

twr (Sunday 9th August 2015)

Thread Information