Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts

The new family bus!

Slight impulse buy! But when Mo wanted to shift his V8 XC90 (previously belonged to Peacey), I saw an opportunity to A: own a car i'd had my eye on for quite some time and B: get the wife into something that would be much more appealing to me than a Zafira!

So after a couple of weeks of driving around in it, the Mrs is used to the size and the gearbox (first time driving an auto), so we can officially get rid of the Poxhall! Woohoo!

It's not going to be much of a project car. It's very well up together. The day before I picked it up it was at Tim's for an MOT (no advisories), services, including gearbox flush, and a once over. It wants for nothing. Mo's done his usual in the 6 months he owned it, and Peacey kept well on top of the maintenance in his ownership.

It's just about as highly spec'd as an XC90 of the year can get, sat nav, phone, PDC, leather, sunroof, factory running boards and roof rails. Also in Peacey's ownership he added a gen Volvo bluetooth kit and Ipod connection. Also, even mental than me(!), he spent £800 odd replacing the speakers with high end Hertz components! The stereo sounds amazing!

After a few days of owning the car I drew up a list (very smal list!) of things that need sorting out!

- Peacey had scrapped the passenger rear door handle and wheel arch (blames his wife, tut tut), so that needed attention (ref; my Chips away rant!). Already done at my local bodyshop last week!
    - The Ipod lead needs looking at, the sound only comes through one speaker.
    - The front number plate surround is held together with tape. New ones in hand, just need fitting!
    - The centre armrest (that removes), falls off if you just breathe on it, so needs some sort of bracket to hold it in place.
    - Load cover missing. Peacey still got it, just need to get it from him!
    - The big one(!) Mo fitted a powerflow stainless exhaust. Not mental loud, but not my cup of tea, so new cat back from Volvo ordered and being fitted by Tim this week!

All in all, very minor bits and bobs that I've found just to make it 100% spot on.

It is booked in for a valet in a couple of weeks. And my valeter is also going to restore the headlight lenses, as they've faded as they typically do!

It's a fantastic drive, smooth, plenty of grunt at any revs. It's not blisteringly fast, but it is swift when you want it to be. It's just an ideal engine for such a big thing. It's not actually that bad on fuel. The first tank was mixed driving and did 420 miles to 65 litres. It's not actually any worse than our 1.8 petrol Zafira, so far!

So. No modding. Just getting up together, and looking after. Still I thought it was worthy of a thread. Here's a couple of recent pics.

Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Sunday 2nd August 2015),The Flying Moose (Sunday 2nd August 2015),Tomcat (Sunday 2nd August 2015),Wobbly Dave (Sunday 2nd August 2015)

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Very nice... You've got some proper variety now!

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    From my experiences with v8's, its just town driving that they're poor on. When you're out of stop start traffic they aint that bad, better than what most people think.

Looks great, my type of family car
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Very nice, Ive been thinking about one for a while as a school run car, but I'd need to sell something first.

Keep the exhaust! I bet it sounds good, should bring to the next vine meet!!

6sp's are a nice box, pretty good in a straight line and cruising around town.

You running it on vpower etc?

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Lovely car Chris and quite a rare beast too I understand?

Have you any interior shots? Does it vary much to a standard XC90?

Bet that sounds lovely on WOT (if a little loud and drony with a powerflow!)
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    I believe about 140 or so in uk.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Very nice.....thought I recognised it too lol

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    The only XC90 we'd have, loved the ride in the T6, but the gearbox was just crap, even when working properly.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDtrCxpKKI

This sounds lovely especially the over run (on headphones)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    That looks very nice, good spec too.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Update:

Last weekend Tim came down and fitted a new standard Volvo exhaust. WOW! Just what the doctor ordered! As great as it is to have a beefy sounding V8, the standard exhaust is a huge improvement over the Powerflow stainless Mo had fitted! (sorry Mo, actually no, I'm not sorry, you cost me money boy!) No more drone, no more waking the neighbours up in the morning, bliss! It's sounds and looks so much better!

Went on holiday to sunny Bognor last week with the Mrs and kids, and it was spot on. Beautiful motorway cruiser, mountains of luggage space (even our Zafira struggled for space on occasion), and it used less than a quarter of a tank of fuel to over 100 miles, it's really not bad on fuel on a run.

Today it was professionally valeted inside and out by my new best friend! Not been polished, just a coat of quick detailer after he'd finished the many several washing stages it goes through! He's done a fantastic job, I look forward to getting a coat of polish and wax on it at some point! I also had him restore the headlights as they were very mirky. They are not 100% perfect, but a thousand times better than they were!

Still got a couple of the minor bits and bobs to resolve from my initial list. But it's proving to be a great family bus, and the Mrs loves it! I couldn't be happier with it!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Tuesday 18th August 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not a huge amount to report....

Before Christmas the rear handbrake shoes ££££ themselves, so she had new discs/pad/shoes on the rear. Other than that it's been spot on.

The Mrs is doing a sterling job of filling up the interior and boot with empty CD cases, rubbish, general kids ££££ and female paraphernalia.

The biggest development; I've been on the look out for some new wheels ever since I bought the car. The current ones are a bit curbed, the tyres are winter's, 2 of which are past their best. Ideally 19's or 20's was what I wanted. And finally the holy grail of XC90 wheels came up for auction on eBay, genuine XC90 20" Cratus alloys! I had to have them. Won them on auction for a steal. With the help of Ashok, Redbrick & Ryan, got them picked up and delivered (again, many thanks guys, much appreciated). Refurbished (powder coated) in factory silver and new tyres. Well chuffed, just need the car cleaned now!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good to see this beast is still going, lovely car
    VOC C30 Register Keeper
    V70 R-Design - Previous Cars - 305bhp C30 R-Design T5 - V40 - XC90 D5 SE Lux - MY10.5 C30 R-Design - S80 T6 - C30 R-Design MY09 - S80 T6 - S90 3.0 24v - 760 Turbo Intercooler & V6

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
    Good to see this beast is still going, lovely car
    Yeah the "famous" V8 still going well!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Kizzer (Saturday 20th February 2016)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Not a huge amount to report....

Before Christmas the rear handbrake shoes ££££ themselves, so she had new discs/pad/shoes on the rear. Other than that it's been spot on.

The Mrs is doing a sterling job of filling up the interior and boot with empty CD cases, rubbish, general kids ££££ and female paraphernalia.

The biggest development; I've been on the look out for some new wheels ever since I bought the car. The current ones are a bit curbed, the tyres are winter's, 2 of which are past their best. Ideally 19's or 20's was what I wanted. And finally the holy grail of XC90 wheels came up for auction on eBay, genuine XC90 20" Cratus alloys! I had to have them. Won them on auction for a steal. With the help of Ashok, Redbrick & Ryan, got them picked up and delivered (again, many thanks guys, much appreciated). Refurbished (powder coated) in factory silver and new tyres. Well chuffed, just need the car cleaned now!

Looks very nice mate, what are you doing with the old wheels? BTW, that's not dirty:

You really don't want to se the inside of it.

CDO Sufferer
    Thanks
    Smart looking motor Chris. You've got the lineup!

Thread Information