Couldn't agree more
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkysparks View Post
    Ofcourse. I wont do anything till I have a boost gauge.
    The thing is. Its a turbo car. I want full power when boost hits otherwise I dont see the point.
    I understand it can break things. I'll have to do these things gradually
    Full boost on an.mbc when you want it will only result it bend rods simples, you only want full boost when the engine needs full boost no point otherwise, yes you can have a car that spins it's wheels and makes you look like a chav but it won't be a quick car,

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    yes you can have a car that spins it's wheels and makes you look like a chav but it won't be a quick car,
    i got a 14.557 with a MBC (& a decat), thats faster than alot of mapped cars

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Theres some good people on here that can give you good advice what you need to understand is turning the boost up is only one side of the equation to getting the most out of the engine you also have to fueling, traction and durability also turning the boost up increases IAT's meaning that the air your blowing in has less oxygen in as hot air contains less oxygen so unless you fit a bigger intercooler and posiibly meth injection turning the boost all the way up wont net you any extra gains

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

oblark (Thursday 30th July 2015)

Jim
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i got a 14.557 with a MBC (& a decat), thats faster than alot of mapped cars
    Well it's faster than Claymore

My point was if you don't know turbo car's which I gather the op doesn't by his own admissions, is that if he stuck an mbc on we both know what the results would be.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Thursday 30th July 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes. What I'm trying to understand is at what level of boost I can go with a seemingly standard intercooler, Standard Injectors, rica tune, 16t turbo, big exhaust and a smooth simplified pipe setup.
    My main goal is to have access to alot of power. Not to spin my wheels up and do burnouts. To me this can be a raw simple engine, in a big body, but I know there are parts of cars that can be removed and aren't needed.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Edit. Double post

This user has no status

Thanks
    I am fully aware of how turbo cars work. I'm just new to t5 engines. I've not got the knowledge base of what's achievable yet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkysparks For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Thursday 30th July 2015)

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    15 psi (1 bar)

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Jim
    Thanks
    Yes. What I'm trying to understand is at what level of boost I can go with a seemingly standard intercooler, Standard Injectors, rica tune, 16t turbo, big exhaust and a smooth simplified pipe setup.
    My main goal is to have access to alot of power. Not to spin my wheels up and do burnouts. To me this can be a raw simple engine, in a big body, but I know there are parts of cars that can be removed and aren't needed.
    In a nutshell an mbc will bend your rods if you floor it under 3 to 3.5k, with the rica alone you can floor it at anytime and your safe, you can run 1.3 bar ish and not run too lean as the rica is a fairly rich/safe map. The t5 engine as it is is a simple thing to work on there is no need to remove anything as it's not going to help your cause.

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I think you will need bigger injectors if you wish to turn the boost up probably volvo greens or vxr blues but there is bound to be some one far more knowledgeable than me pop along soon.

My S60 is running at around 18-19psi but mines far from standard and is around 370ish bhp it was dynod at 342bhp before fitting the inter cooler and decat downpipe, I'm at the very top end of the k24 turbo in terms of airflow as my head has been ported I get the same amount of airflow at less psi than a standard head but I also keep my IAT's low by having a bigger inter-cooler and meth injection.

I've also maxed out my vxr injectors at 85%IDC now so the next phase is fit a GT28 turbo and bigger injectors.

But the one thing I took away from more experienced people on this forum was to not focus on power mods 1st, I'd recommend stiffening up the suspension and bushings which allow you to get the most out of the standard car and will put you in a better place once you start to increase the power.
    Last edited by ExternalError; Thursday 30th July 2015 at 22:52.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Friday 31st July 2015)

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExternalError View Post

But the one thing I took away from more experienced people on this forum was to not focus on power mods 1st, I'd recommend stiffening up the suspension and bushings which allow you to get the most out of the standard car and will put you in a better place once you start to increase the power.
    This!

You'll have a far, far superior car if you concentrate on handling upgrades first. 850's drive really well with the right mods and fresh bushes and joints etc.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Saaamon For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Friday 31st July 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    ExternalError are you on standard internals?
    I fully intend to stiffen the car aswell. Solid bushes where possible.
    Jamest5r I'm happy with that info. But people drag these cars. Full boost and torque from the off. The rods must be capable. I say that and know people will give me stories of bending them. Was there just a poor batch of rods or something.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    As I said in my first post there is absolutely no point in removing parts of the system if you want a quick car Here's a tried and tested method.
    First get the car running 100% also called stage zero

Inspect the suspension bushes most if not all will be buggered.

Handling good shocks and springs or decent coil overs

Braking system
    Good quality pads Gen discs you can upgrade to fit 302 discs with brackets.

Good tyres not your special wanglee

Now tuning
    For 300+
    18t or 19t are the easiest way
    Angled exhaust housing ,down pipe and exhaust system.
    Green Injectors or vxr
    Standard intercooler should be able to cope but if a alloy one comes up cheap get it bought.

Then a good custom map if your on standard rods.

Finally you will find your open diff doesn't cope well with traction so either m59 which is cheapish but also not great or Quaife and gripper which are the best singled you can do.
    Last edited by t5 pete; Thursday 30th July 2015 at 23:28.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Friday 31st July 2015),MoleT-5R (Friday 31st July 2015)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Jamest5r I'm happy with that info. But people drag these cars. Full boost and torque from the off. The rods must be capable. I say that and know people will give me stories of bending them. Was there just a poor batch of rods or something.
    Yes alot of us drag them and 99% of us have all bent rods or all ready fitted forged internals bar Dean but his runs on magic
    Last edited by t5 pete; Thursday 30th July 2015 at 23:28.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Friday 31st July 2015),WOODY T5 (Thursday 30th July 2015)

NOS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,341 Posts
    I am sure one day it might bend a rod pete but I thinks mine is just down to I don't know but it works 1.3 and 1.55 some days full boost 1500 rpm to 7500 rpm but I get wot jim and other say about mbc's ran one on mine but never over a bar tho but it go to show these volvo's can be tuned on a budget
    Last edited by WOODY T5; Thursday 30th July 2015 at 23:38.

"WOODY T5 fastest volvo 850 since 2011/12/13/14 @ avon and york 13.3 112mph
    854 t5 19t gripper mte bc loads more 311.6 whp 373 foot pound 342 @ clucth
    toy cbr954

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WOODY T5 For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Friday 31st July 2015),The Flying Moose (Thursday 30th July 2015)

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes im on standard internals but its a p2 facelift S60 2.4 T5 so has a faster canbus meaning boost can be controlled more accurately via the TCV than on a 850, My engine is also shimmed to prevent the liners from splitting which is a known issue on some 2.4 and 2.5 litre engines in the T5 and R of this revision. The map I have controls the boost smoothly so i hit my full powerband between 2.5k-7k revs which is where you want it also ive not confirmed but have been told the rods in the 2005+ models are stronger but I wouldn't go on hearsay. For tips on 850's running high figures look at claymore, jamest5r,oblark or woody they all have far superiour knowledge than me about the 850s.

If I was you id do a stage 0 replace all bushes fit good quality sports springs or coilovers and then go see either shem or tim
    Last edited by ExternalError; Thursday 30th July 2015 at 23:40.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Yes alot of us drag them and 99% of us have all bent rods or all ready fitted forged internals
    i used to run 20.8psi all the way from idle & my original rods are still straight

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExternalError View Post
    Yes im on standard internals but its a p2 facelift S60 2.4 T5 so has a faster canbus meaning boost can be controlled more accurately via the TCV than on a 850, My engine is also shimmed to prevent the liners from splitting which is a known issue on some 2.4 and 2.5 litre engines in the T5 and R of this revision. The map I have controls the boost smoothly so i hit my full powerband between 2.5k-7k revs which is where you want it also ive not confirmed but have been told the rods in the 2005+ models are stronger but I wouldn't go on hearsay. For tips on 850's running high figures look at claymore, jamest5r,oblark or woody they all have far superiour knowledge than me about the 850s.

If I was you id do a stage 0 replace all bushes fit good quality sports springs or coilovers and then go see either shem or tim
    THe rods in a facelift S60 T5 are a lot stronger than the rods in a 850 T5.

Jim
    Thanks
    Yep I've always dragged my car's and yes flooring it off the line and through the gears is fine but as I said your revs will always be over 3k so you'll be fine, I've never bent rods just smashed 2 gearbox's and a driveshaft

Thread Information