Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts

Volvo 850 plenum chamber

I’ve been thinking about making a plenum chamber for the 850 for the last year or so. But I did fancy cutting up a ME7 inlet manifold as the runner are not parrallel so when at the local BKV meet I noticed that the 960 inlet manifold was made up in two half’s, a small section where the injectors are then a rubber sleeve which joined onto the main part of the manifold.

So I started combing eBay for a 960 manifold. Found a guy that was prepared to sell me the section where the injectors are. Once it arrived it was a case of cutting off cylinder number 6.

The runners where extended to 6” and 3mm plate was drilled so the runners fitted through the plate, once they where welded the end of the runners where radiused to form bell mouths. The main body of the chamber was formed out of some more 3mm aluminium and welded up. A 3” aluminium 45 degree was welded on to move the throttle body down under the air filter.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

claymore (Thursday 23rd July 2015),craigoodwood (Saturday 25th July 2015),Doingitsideways (Thursday 23rd July 2015),Harvey (Saturday 25th July 2015),Jamest5r (Thursday 23rd July 2015),jamesy12345 (Thursday 23rd July 2015),JT (Friday 24th July 2015),kmb (Thursday 23rd July 2015),martin_r_smith (Thursday 23rd July 2015),MoleT-5R (Friday 24th July 2015),stribo (Thursday 23rd July 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Where are your stacks?

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Where are your stacks?
    If you mean bell mouths then the ends of the runners have had a radius machined on them.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Looks pretty tidy Rob - you know I'm an amateur at all this stuff, but what are the main advantages of the plenum chamber in the intake?

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    That looks awesome, given me an idea for the derv too, cheers.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Nice work Rob, nice to see some more of the 5 pots progression....

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    So where do I place my order for one of these??

This user has no status

Thanks
    Looks as though you will have to use the 960 inlet manifold gasket with the end pot cut off!...`cos of where the injector hole is?

If you have to......there are two gaskets, a pink one and a green one.

The green one supercedes the pink one as it distorts and will leak causing problems.......there even may of been a recall for the 960 as this was a very common problem. Only mentioning in case someone is selling old stock!

I don`t know the advantage of a plenum as the supply air is still at one end ...ideally the air supply should be in the centre and not at the end and so spread the flow better as the cylinders nearest will grab more air!

Pic. SD1 Single Plenum with air supply in the centre.

As your injectors are at the same position then the performance may be similar...with N/A the longer the inlet putting the fuel supply (carb) further from the combustion chamber the higher top speed.

The opposite shorter inlet with fuel supply very near the chamber then more acceleration.

Apart from all my crap...Lol... i think what you are doing looks great and i hope it works for you...

.................................................. .................................................
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    ^^^^^^ quite a lot of lack of knowledge on how a forced induction engine works up there, how many high performance turbo cars have you seen with the intake in the middle of the plenum?, and as far as I can see, the intake manifold gasket looks like a later vvt head one would be the correct one.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

This user has no status

Thanks
    Full marks to you ...as always claymore for knocking others instead of adding support!

Have you never seen the underside of an ME7 manifold then.....Lol...

I suppose you could say not Exactly central but to me it pretty well is........

Go pick on James again as you always do......and keep to your own click.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...force-awakens/

Have a read of this as he has a similar plunem chamber and is producing over 400bhp.

The manifold gasket for both engines are oem gaskets.

The downside of the me7 is the small plenum chamber and poor flow from the chamber to the runners.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

claymore (Friday 24th July 2015),kmb (Friday 24th July 2015),MoleT-5R (Friday 24th July 2015)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Full marks to you ...as always claymore for knocking others instead of adding support!

Small point of order, it's clique, not click.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

960kg (Friday 24th July 2015),kmb (Friday 24th July 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post

Have a read of this as he has a similar plunem chamber and is producing over 400bhp.

The downside of the me7 is the small plenum chamber and poor flow from the chamber to the runners.
    First of all and i am not getting at you Rob or anyone BUT all i did was offer some help which seeing as i owned a `96 960 for about 6yrs i should know some shortfalls to pass on to maybe help others, but it just looks as though others are just ignorant.

I understand everything i wrote in my above post and was just suggesting gaskets as you rightly said you know about them.

That ME7 plenum is still has a central opening for the intake so what i was saying is not tosh........there are still engines giving 400bhp with that plenum, it does depend what part of the engine one wants to play with as it`s turbo.

I agree i know more about N/A tuning than turbos but there is nothing to turbos as it is all forced induction BUT the secret does lie in the fact that whatever changes to a design an N/A motor will like it is also very beneficial to the turbo motor as you have all found out with searching for every single bhp and blend the combustion chamber inlets and exhaust etc. etc.

Go and read on Turbo Forums about intake design ......the volume of the plenum is important as so is the design inside it for the flow of air being it forced or just sucked!.......even the direction the throttle plate opens.

So please all you know all`s don`t always try to give me grief ...it goes over my head at my age anyway and just makes the interesting threads look an ar$e!

I see MRP is back after all the insults he was given ...i wonder how long it will be for the next lot?

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks

You said "ideally the intake should be in the middle of the intake" on what do you base that assumption on?, perhaps for oem packaging that would be the most convenient place, but we are not talking about oem, we are talking about performance tuning, showing a picture of an asthmatic 190bhp 3.5 V8 engine as a good example is not exactly helping your cause

As for advice about the gasket, do you not think that someone who can make his own manifold would not also know exactly what gasket he needs,
    Last edited by claymore; Friday 24th July 2015 at 10:40.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    You said "ideally the intake should be in the middle of the intake" on what do you base that assumption on?, perhaps for oem packaging that would be the most convenient place, but we are not talking about oem, we are talking about performance tuning, showing a picture of an asthmatic 190bhp 3.5 V8 engine as a good example is not exactly helping your cause
    My best advice to you is go read about design yourself then you may swallow your word`s...Lol

You are hardly talking tuning performance as you didn`t get much from one engine so you had to put TWO in so where is the knowledge about tuning in that?

My cause does not need to be helped by you or anything......the SD1 plenum was just an example as i had one in the early `80`s.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    My best advice to you is go read about design yourself then you may swallow your word`s...Lol

You are hardly talking tuning performance as you didn`t get much from one engine so you had to put TWO in so where is the knowledge about tuning in that?

My cause does not need to be helped by you or anything......the SD1 plenum was just an example as i had one in the early `80`s.
    ?????
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Lets just clear one thing up my plenum chamber design was not drawn up on the back of a fag packet.

I got in contact with Hussein who sent me the plans for his manifold then I modified it to fit my car.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

claymore (Friday 24th July 2015),S70T5Chris (Friday 24th July 2015)

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    Note where the intake is on this turbocharged V8 engine, surely they would get more power if the intake was in the middle.

PIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Is that a Cosworth Indycar engine?

They were not shy on power

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

claymore (Friday 24th July 2015)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post

I believe the original 850 inlets are meant to flow better than the me7 version

Thread Information