One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    c#*t!
    I said the same thing to him
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 500tie For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Tuesday 28th July 2015)

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks

Sold the locking wheel bolts off it for £15 so now it only owes me £215 hahahaha

I haven't touched it yet, give it time... Weather is all over the place, that's my excuse

Haven't heard about the other cars yet. If they are Rs they need to be saved so kmb stop asking for wheels lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 28th July 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Send them my way - I will save them

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Tuesday 28th July 2015)

Thanks
    I think you're 4th in line! I'd be shocked if they are Rs.

Someone must have seen them, they are in a pub car park in Birmingham apparently!

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Can't wait to hear about them

Thanks

It lives!

Before I start, I haven't heard anything from the previous owners yet, he told me they found the documents for the car but I haven't heard from them since!

So, finally got a battery the other day, the one with the car was completely ££££ed!

Sure enough the car started spot on, a bit tapperty as expected but once warmed up and revved up all is good, sounds as sweet as a nut . I recorded it if anyone cares lol
    No warning lights staying on.
    I ran the car up and down the road on a lane behind the house to give it all a brief test and it all seems fine, only thing I can fault are the brakes, doesn't pull to the side just they are rather inefficient.

There are issues though...
    - PCV system is completely blocked for sure.
    - Although the box is shifting fine it is a bit crude going into R or D about 1/3 times, the fluid is a Cola colour so hopefully a change of that will sort things.
    - There is a slight noise from the belts area when revs are increased slightly, either power steering pump or aux belt tensioner I think.
    - Either there is a very minor exhaust blow at the back or there is a slight rattle from the area, hard to tell.
    - Sunroof not working, you can hear it clunk then nothing happens. Got complete replacement unit so no worries there.
    - Don't think the AC is working either, oh well!

That's it really.

It moves!!!
    850 R 03-08-15 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

850 R 03-08-15 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

850 R 03-08-15 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

After it was running for a while I turned it off and then there was no power at all, disconnected and reconnected the battery and it was fine so can only presume a terminal worked loose as they were only finger tight.

Paint.

This is the roof, all the little specs are heavily ingrained dirt, this car hasn't been washed in A VERY LONG TIME! Spit on it and rub it in and smooth paint underneath. Maybe I should lick the car clean?
    850 Roof by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Strangely it is only the roof and bonnet that are all speckled. Here is a bonnet/wing pic...
    850 Bonnet and Wing by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

The target.
    850 Paint Target by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Engine bay.
    850 R Engine Bay by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Boot full of tac!
    Free Crap! by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

850 R Interior by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Heated rear seats!
    Heated Rear Seats by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

What now? I have no idea...
    Last edited by AcidicDavey; Monday 3rd August 2015 at 20:43.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

Aussie T5 (Sunday 9th August 2015),Jamest5r (Monday 3rd August 2015),jamesy12345 (Monday 3rd August 2015),MoleT-5R (Tuesday 4th August 2015)

old skool rules

Thanks
    Just WOW!!! Will be keeping my eyes on this

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twr For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Monday 3rd August 2015)

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    What now mate is full blown servicing get that engine and box running smoothly. Then I'll have to pop up and give you a hand to sort that paintwork out. After that you'll have a sweet car to sell to me lol
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 500tie For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have started the exact same project myself! I've already done the cutting and polishing but needs a few more passes and a hell of a lot of was. People say that once the paint blooms then its pretty much shot - but I'm willing to test that! I've doing oil, filter, fuel filter just to make sure no crud goes in the engine. Need to change the rear exhaust silencer and do the PCV too! Trying to find a decent exhaust that isn't ridiculously expensive. Will be good to compare notes and see how we progress!

Rohit

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogo1806 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cheers chaps.

I guess now I need to compile a parts list and get it all ordered in one go. Still need to have a good poke around under the car, need to get more axle stands.

On the paint front I've been reading on Detailing World about restoring red paint. People are rather than cutting the paint back with a compound using Meguiar's Glaze #07 which is a oil based product that rejuvenates the paint rather than removing it. I'll give it a go but it's going to be one hell of a job!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Get it mechanically OK then clean, clean and clean?

1996 850 T5 Estate (Manual) - 215k miles, 267bhp/280lb/ft
    RICA 304, De-cat, 'R' front bumper, Wooden steering wheel

FOR SALE - PM Me!

This user has no status
    Thanks

That was the state of the car i had last year after lots of mopping and elbow grease came up like new

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Quite excited to see how this comes up with some elbow grease (and possibly an oribital polisher)

List of things to do is not too drastic either at this stage, still bargain of the year!

Heated rear seats are super high spec, very cool.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    as said above, it's a well spec'd car to have the heated rear seats, something I would love to add to the Gul. Should polish up nice and I'm patiently waiting the finished result pic's

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    On the paint front I've been reading on Detailing World about restoring red paint. People are rather than cutting the paint back with a compound using Meguiar's Glaze #07 which is a oil based product that rejuvenates the paint rather than removing it. I'll give it a go but it's going to be one hell of a job!
    Just did a quick google on that and it sounds like a lot more work than just cutting back. Is it worth it? You could probably assume that it's never had any proper polishing in it's lifetime so I doubt the paint will be excessively thinned and you could probably get away with cutting it back quite safely. And if you are waxing, sealing and generally taking care of it thereafter then you aren't really going to need to aggressively polish it again (or not much at least) in the years to come. I just think with the scale of what you've got in front of you, why make life more difficult? Especially when you've a 166 that needs finished
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    The original paint is pretty thick, as long as you don't get to aggressive with the compound & the machine you'll be fine. What I found when I cut mine the first time was the pinkness was caused by layers of T cut, which when stripped away (ruining several pads as theyy cake up with dust) left a lovely deep shine. I used the megs 123 stuff & a rotary polisher. Haven't touched the car for a long time now & it's still very red! Have fun. Morgan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max M4X WW View Post
    Get it mechanically OK then clean, clean and clean?
    I think I'll start with rejuvenating the paint, will provide some much needed motivation hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by nottsgreent5 View Post

That was the state of the car i had last year after lots of mopping and elbow grease came up like new
    Thanks for that buddy, looks astonishing the difference in that 50/50 shot!

Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    Quite excited to see how this comes up with some elbow grease (and possibly an oribital polisher)

List of things to do is not too drastic either at this stage, still bargain of the year!

Heated rear seats are super high spec, very cool.
    No, there really doesn't appear to be much to do besides the preventative maintenance, which is good. Even the tyres are good and not old or cracked in the slightest!

Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    as said above, it's a well spec'd car to have the heated rear seats, something I would love to add to the Gul. Should polish up nice and I'm patiently waiting the finished result pic's
    It's got a locking boot floor too, never come across that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Just did a quick google on that and it sounds like a lot more work than just cutting back. Is it worth it? You could probably assume that it's never had any proper polishing in it's lifetime so I doubt the paint will be excessively thinned and you could probably get away with cutting it back quite safely. And if you are waxing, sealing and generally taking care of it thereafter then you aren't really going to need to aggressively polish it again (or not much at least) in the years to come. I just think with the scale of what you've got in front of you, why make life more difficult? Especially when you've a 166 that needs finished
    It does indeed sound like hard work, I'll give it a go though, gives me something to do if nothing else

Never mind finish the 166, I need to start working on it! Mind, saying that I did start on some paint correction on it the other week but that's it in 1.5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    The original paint is pretty thick, as long as you don't get to aggressive with the compound & the machine you'll be fine. What I found when I cut mine the first time was the pinkness was caused by layers of T cut, which when stripped away (ruining several pads as theyy cake up with dust) left a lovely deep shine. I used the megs 123 stuff & a rotary polisher. Haven't touched the car for a long time now & it's still very red! Have fun. Morgan
    I have been thinking about this paint since I last posted, as I say above I am going to try some Megs #7. If nothing else it'll mean I won't have to cut back so much and surely not having to cut back so much can only be a good thing?

A local chap with an 850 R in red came round yesterday and his car's paint is stunning, especially when I compare it to mine! I'll get a photo when I can

This user has no status

Thanks
    To be honest I almost like the paintwork, get it on some super bling wheels and you are away!

1996 850 T5 Estate (Manual) - 215k miles, 267bhp/280lb/ft
    RICA 304, De-cat, 'R' front bumper, Wooden steering wheel

FOR SALE - PM Me!

Thanks
    Yeah, I did say that somewhere (must be a different forum) that if I was braver I would just leave the bodywork as it is, polish the glass, fit some nice wheels and go chav hunting, would be a right laugh

Thread Information