Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks

Going to burn this sucker if it doesnt stop smoking!!

TOATLLY p'd off bought a 2001 T5 with faults -

turbo oil seals- easy job DONE
    ETM Throttle body hunting - REBUILT and cleaned DONE.
    missing spare wheel - DONE
    cruise not working - not looked at yet
    drivers seat belt return spring knackered - new one ordered

SO....
    Rebuilt the turbo including taking all parts into work in the parts washer and cleaning them SPOTLESS to remove oil - all good. Put back together started SMOKING......ok check intercooler lines - intercooler FULL of oil. Flushed and rebuilt.....

STILL smoking like a fecker Looked under car - one last idea is the CAT clogged ...YEP pools of oil under exhaust so the whole system is a write off - looking at £500 (that I havent got) for a replacement

Another thing - when I start her now she wont idle for more than a few seconds - before the strip all was fine apart from the fog bank. Checked all plugs all look OK but I guess shes not breathing right because of reduced CAT volume?

My problem is I need a new system but I cant drive the car to get it TO an exhaust fitters (or I get stopped by the Rozzers) I will have to do this in situ on axle stands LOVELY

I am in Berkshire - any tips as to where I can get a replacement system that I wont have to remortgage the house please? Otherwise Im phoning Pete the Pikey to take it for scrap!! Loads of work FOR NOTHING.
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Friday 10th July 2015 at 11:53.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I cannot advise on the idling problem but I would have thought the smoke would clear after some driving surely?

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    yes Max I thought so left it idling until hot with foot on the throttle as I think the ETM is sticking but it didnt clear just made the neighbours shout! Ive been told if any amount of oil has gone through the delicate ceramics in the CAT its a system change - judging from oil pouting out of the centre box just after the CAT its mullered Also the rear box is off as that was rotten so shes a little noisy!

Think I might just bite the bullet and fit a JETEX system if im spending £500 nicker on a load of old steel pipes from Kwik fit

cheers though mate

This user has no status

Thanks
    I know this isn't ideal but, if you can wait a few weeks until I have got the money together for my aftermarket system you can have the one that's on my car now.

I don't suggest it's gonna last you a lifetime but it did pass mot a few weeks back so must be reasonably decent and it's free lol, which is always good

Plus as a Brucey Bonus my mate lives in Maidenhead so I can probably drop it to you (-;

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Soulboy For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Friday 10th July 2015)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    sounds good mate I MUST have it back on the road by the end of July as my other T5 needs to come off the road for a new steering rack and MOT I would be happy to donate something to speed your new pipe

Its a V70 T5 estate 2001 is that same as yours?

cheers

Wiping smiles off faces!

Thanks
    I know you are losing heart, trust me buddy I've had the same with my T5.
    She's getting old, so we need to keep chucking parts at her to fix it.

To give you an idea of what I have had to do to sort mine out here is a list:

Replace engine with one I acquired from scrapyard
    Change the engine again as it has no pressure.
    Change all bushes on the front
    Replace wishbones
    Replace snapped driveshaft
    Change discs
    Do cambelt
    Fix leaking air con
    Replace windscreen
    Replace ignition lock assembly as it refused to turn

Those are just some of the issues I've had, so don't lose heart mate they are just testing your commitment to the project!

Oh and the list is still ongoing.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    I have the old downpipe off our S60R with a perfect serviceable cat if you're interested.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Friday 17th July 2015)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Have you checked the PCV is clear? If not, it will smoke!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Aha - I'll check it Lee T5 thanks

Although with the car on axle stands arse down I have oil dripping out of the centre silencer, I would say thats pretty much FULL of oil from when the turbo seals were shot, suggesting its become a secondary 'sump'! I had thought about taking the pipe of and standing it vertical but if the sound deadening fibre inside is soaked thats a no go surely?

I took the throttle body out again and checked it the disc valve wasnt quite centred exactly - reassembled - corrected that now she idles better but the oil clagging is still an issue. Also found a little air flow sensor round the wrong way (discovered its easy to do as no alignment slots or anything!!) So the ecu thought it was SUCKING not blowing

I have run the car on idle to settle the new turbo in and the CAT got up to temp so that must have flashed off any oil in there, BUT still smoking so Im guessing its that centre box clogged guys - what do the crew think please?
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Friday 17th July 2015 at 08:23.

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    thanks Stribo
    I need to check the system through to see which bit is clogged.

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    Graham Welch should be able to help with a new exhaust if needed once other stuff is sorted shouldn't he?

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:
    2001 BMW E39 M5, LeMans Blue, grey/black two tone leather ** 2014 XC60 D4 Bright Silver, Black leather, walnut ** 1999 C70 T5 ** 2003 V70R Flash Green/Nordkap - now my dad's "big green Astra Van" ** 1990 Lotus Elan M100 Se Turbo, Calypso Red ** 2001 S60 2.0T Silver ** 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** 1982 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 ** Vauxhall Nova - 993cc monster

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Squirtydog For This Useful Post:

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    With the car on idle and up to temp, pull the dipstick out 2". If you see white wispy smoke/vapour puffing out the dipstick tube then your PCV is definitely blocked. This will not be helping your issue at all. A blocked PCV with cause the engine to force oil where it's not meant to go. One of the most expensive places it goes is the rear main seal. If that fails it will cost you £500 and £10 for the seal! It will also force the oil into breather pipes, ETM, Air filter, MAF, PCT nipple will almost certainly be clogged up too.
    Tell tale signs of a clogged PCT nipple is build up of crap/oil around the MAF to turbo pipe where the PCT nipple plumbs in.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    the PCT had a bit of crap in and I tried the dipstick trick - nothing. Also a trick I used on older cars oil filler off and feel for it blowing - again clear so the PCV looks good. I ran the car on idle today and she is perfect not I have sorted the ETM seating problem but STILL fog bank so its clearly a saturated centre box as oil is still dripping out from residue form the blown turbo.

So hopefully when i ditch that we should be cured. Trouble is I tried one bolt after soaking in WD40 it rounded straight away I even hoped it would shear off as the studs are on the bit im dumping! So its hours under there with a junior hacksaw trying to cut the nuts off tomorrow as my Dremel has died HAPPY DAYS . The CAT thankfully is sound and has flashed off the oil.

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Try drilling a couple of holes in the box and let the oil drain out overnight. If you get rid of most of the build up the last of it will burn off on a motorway run , probbly best at night when plod is fast asleep!

You can reseal the box with a self tapper or band it with a big jubilee clip.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Orca2 For This Useful Post:

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    NICE I'll give it a go then a blat up the motorway -

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    when I rebuilt my turbo, the car still smoked like a bitch, but after about 25 miles it did one last belch (all over the front of External errors car), it's been fine for over a year now
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

23. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Sunday 19th July 2015)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    UPDATE: 4 HOURS lying under the car with a junior hacksaw, dremel and cold chisel and the old exhaust came off, upended and drained of oil - turbo pipe to intercooler checked in case - BONE DRY so exhaust going back on in a few hours then..........lets see

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Good luck - Sounds like it should work this time.

I'm assuming if it now smokes you'll move into the realm of compression tests etc, hopefully not required!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Wednesday 29th July 2015)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    started her up and smoke AGAIN but Im convinced its just residue in the CAT so shes sat idling now for 40 minutes and SLOWLY clearing as CAT gets up to temp so tonight its a blat down the motorway, all readings normal no fluid losses.

One thing though I NOW have 2 annoying messages ENGINE SERVICE ATTENTION and BRAKE ASSIST SERVICE how do I clear these please? I read somewhere about holding reset button in, turning headlights off, heater on for 3 secs - stand on one leg sorta thing lol!!

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Well good news is SMOKE GONE
    bad news : car now DEAD
    Left her to idle for an hour went back in doors had a cut of tea.
    Went back out to her she was idling erratically so I turned it off. Waited 10 mins then tried to start NOTHING except a clicking from the starter solenoid.
    Metered battery 11.43 volts so loads there - disconnect and reconnect
    try again
    DEAD
    oil level fine
    water fine
    stuck in gear and rocked it in case starter stuck
    try again
    DEAD
    try imobiliser
    DEAD.
    So after all that effort the car is dead.
    My C70 MOT runs out tomorrow leaving me now with no ******* car NICE.

WHAT THE **** HAS HAPPENED?????

STARTER MOTOR?
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Wednesday 29th July 2015 at 11:38.

Thread Information