Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Another 940 project!

So ever since watching Bamse's Turbo Underpants, I've been wanting to build a silly Redblock powered RWD Volvo! I looked at converting 240's/740's but this came up cheap cheap.

I already had a complete engine/box/look etc for conversion, so that's now being built up with some KG Trimning goodies in the shape of their KG-0004 cam, 38mm exhaust valves and double valvesprings, there will also be a set of rods going in too. Target for a start is 300 at the wheels, then start creeping it up until my T34 runs out of puff, then it'll be Holset time.

It's a late spec 2.3 HPT with M90 and all the goodies, bar an open diff...

Plan for the time being is to run the stock motor with the T34, big cooler, injectors, port matched head, ported exhaust/inlet fanimold and something like a K cam with a ££££ton of boost down its neck, see how long it lasts.

Paintwork is horrendous, which for a bufty like me is painful to see, but it adds to the sleeper appeal, outside will be staying stock bar a side exit and possibly banded steels.

Drove back from Birmingham with this, plenty of miles in them!

Goodies from Sweden.

So long A/C.

Turbo downpipe flange I made and had machined.

T34 needs clocking though, the compressor outlet aims right at the manifold at the moment

Going to DIY coilover the standard shocks for the time being, might do the same with some B4's later on, unsure on the rears yet though.
    4 pots on the front from something, will depend on what wheels I decide on!

Will keep you updated!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweep For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 28th June 2015),stribo (Monday 5th October 2015)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Sweet It'll probably take quite a punishing.

My bro wrecked his 940 turbo though he has an NA 940 estate for the bits to go into sometime in the future .
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Sweep (Sunday 28th June 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hopefully so! It's going to be a weekend toy so it's no biggy if it goes pop.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Sounds like a nice build .i wish I could do stuff like this .

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    sounds like a nice build .i wish i could do stuff like this .
    lol
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    Sounds like a nice build .i wish I could finish stuff like this .
    Sorted that for you

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

barkster1971 (Thursday 9th July 2015),Dangerous Dave (Sunday 28th June 2015),Jamest5r (Wednesday 12th August 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had to send the T34 off to Owen Developments for them to rotate the turbo as I could not for the life of me get it turning. Turned out it needs a rebuild, so that "1200 miles tops" turbo is poop. Which has now been replaced by this

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweep For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 5th October 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    When you put the rods in get everything balanced as it'll rev a lot easier to get that bugger spooled up.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Apparently they're really good on spool considering the size, I guess as they're designed to run on low revving diseasel engines!

This user has no status

Thanks
    but they're usually 6.5 litre engines!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to barkster1971 For This Useful Post:

Sweep (Saturday 15th August 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    nice project...will follow with interest. will be embarking on another 940 myself soon....I need to scratch the itch!

This user has no status

Thanks
    any progress?

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Good project, I'll have to watch this for when I start mine for real (still at paint) I managed to snag a 98 car, low miles 2 owners.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Little bit of an update, I've promised a lotta people that it will see the road by summer so I need to pull my finger out a bit!

Originally I was just going to get some tophats machined up and use the standard rubber top mounts to sit them in and then do the camber mod, but I figured I'd just do it proper and as ClassicSwede now stock adjustable camber plates, I snapped a set up.

Might pull them apart and anodize them, unsure yet.

Stripped/blasted/painted the lower arms, which considering we only have a real fine glass bead in the cabinet worked very well indeed! Standard issue poly bushes of course.

Eventually got sick of seeing the turbo laying around, so got my arse into gear and figured out where I wanted it mounting, the first Holset I got turned to be a dud one too, learned my lesson buying second hand turbos, don't! Sourced a brand new HY35W for a very good price, got the fancy anti surge compressor housing too.
    So with a bit of jigging/hanging, got my collector tacked into place.

Bit of progress..

It soon got heavy so had to chock it up!

And all tacked up now, will start welding it this week once I get my two-way regulator back from work to purge it.

Once it's welded I've got drill into the side of the collector to then weld in a piece for the external wastegate.

And a little comparison of the Holset to the 13C

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sweep For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Monday 25th January 2016),jamesy12345 (Tuesday 26th January 2016),kmb (Monday 25th January 2016)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Looks good will you be purging it in 1 piece or will you dismantle all the pieces and weld them together 1 at a time to make sure there arnt any imperfections or slag to break off down the pipe line and hit the exhaust wheel

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Looks good will you be purging it in 1 piece or will you dismantle all the pieces and weld them together 1 at a time to make sure there arnt any imperfections or slag to break off down the pipe line and hit the exhaust wheel

Yes mate I'll be taking one runner off at a time, there's no way I'd get my torch in some places as it is anyway.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I take it you have done some "snake charming" before?! What is the material if you don't mind me asking? It looks a very good effort, will you be adding turbo and w/gate supports?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nope, first attempt! I am a fabricator by trade but nothing like this, I'm quite chuffed with the outcome! It's all 316, the elbows are SCH10 (if I remember rightly) and the tube was donated to the cause by one of our friendly companies, slightly smaller OD but the inside is the same, made it tricky lining them up!

Definitely, although there's not a huge amount of options on where to bolt a support to, will have to see when it's all in place.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Nope, first attempt! I am a fabricator by trade but nothing like this, I'm quite chuffed with the outcome! It's all 316, the elbows are SCH10 (if I remember rightly) and the tube was donated to the cause by one of our friendly companies, slightly smaller OD but the inside is the same, made it tricky lining them up!

Definitely, although there's not a huge amount of options on where to bolt a support to, will have to see when it's all in place.
    (schedule) 10S elbow...sorry...old piping joke

Looks well mate, looks like you are managing all positions up to & including 6GR there
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Tuesday 26th January 2016 at 19:23.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Sweep (Tuesday 26th January 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Now what are you doing for engine management, chips and a big maf won't really cut it with a turbo that big, plus you'll be needing a decent clutch.

Thread Information