Join Today
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    Good decision Andy. A general question to everyone though. Why are people so hung up on what the car may be worth in the future? I'd rather enjoy driving the car as much as possible, instead of once in a blue moon and worrying about putting the mileage up etc.
    Good question Mike, I had a friend who would buy a new performance Ford every three years, he would leave all the plastic protectors on the door cards, cover the nice recaro seats with cheap seat covers front and back and I once remember he was going from Machynlleth to Shrewsbury
    and turned back when he was only about 7 miles from Shrewsbury as they had just tarmacked the road, All he did was make it a lovely car for the next owner, he can't have possibly enjoyed the cars himself.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Good question Mike, I had a friend who would buy a new performance Ford every three years, he would leave all the plastic protectors on the door cards, cover the nice recaro seats with cheap seat covers front and back and I once remember he was going from Machynlleth to Shrewsbury
    and turned back when he was only about 7 miles from Shrewsbury as they had just tarmacked the road, All he did was make it a lovely car for the next owner, he can't have possibly enjoyed the cars himself.
    The part of the enjoyment is keeping it in good condition some people enjoy that more than the driving experience itself.

Glad your keeping it Andy
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Funnily enough, I've just got back from a little M meet. One of the guys has a 1M, only made 450 of them. New they were £40000, and 4 years on they still fetch £40000. He's the second owner and it's now on 41000 miles, 2000 he has put on it in 6 months. He's love driving it. Another guy who turned up with his e46 M3, 13 years old and he does a 1000 a year in it and he's had it 3 years. He got worried when the rain clouds came over. I asked him why buy a caryou really wanted, but don't use it. He got ££££ty with me and said it would be worth more in the future. Sad really.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 29th June 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    The part of the enjoyment is keeping it in good condition some people enjoy that more than the driving experience itself.

Glad your keeping it Andy

But I do both, I maintain it, detail it etc etc and then really enjoy driving it every day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Sunday 28th June 2015)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    But I do both, I maintain it, detail it etc etc and then really enjoy driving it every day.
    You have to drive them or I totally can't see the point in having them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foammanmark For This Useful Post:

MIKESC70T5 (Monday 29th June 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah and then some dick head could write you off that's why I have my other R I'm not so sentimental about it plus it drives better than the old bus anyway
    Thanks
    Martyn

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Yeah and then some dick head could write you off that's why I have my other R I'm not so sentimental about it plus it drives better than the old bus anyway
    That's a really perculiar thing to say, I see no point in having a car if not to drive, it's not as if it's an E type or old Ferrari which is appreciating by 10's of thousands of pounds each year.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Tuesday 30th June 2015),MIKESC70T5 (Monday 29th June 2015),t5 pete (Monday 29th June 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That's a really perculiar thing to say, I see no point in having a car if not to drive, it's not as if it's an E type or old Ferrari which is appreciating by 10's of thousands of pounds each year.
    That's your opinion though. Mine is that I always wanted that particular car and now I have it I don't want it to get ruined by driving it. Like I said I I've another car that is pretty much better in everyway so I drive that one so that the saffy is kept in good condition. I'm not worried about how much it's worth, I know its not worth much. The car costs me nothing , I would probably have a different view on it if I was paying money for the car. People collect model cars because they like them, turns out I have the real deal and it will stay that way
    Thanks
    Martyn

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 29th June 2015),MIKESC70T5 (Monday 29th June 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    All he did was make it a lovely car for the next owner
    This is the quote of my life with all my motors...

I have spent thousands and thousands just to let the future owner get the best from them!

My boss in the sixties all ways had a new car every 2yrs. those were the times when undersealing was an expensive optional extra which he always had done.........until i told him he was just paying for the car to be looked after for the future owner!

One of my Mk1 Lotus Cortina`s in great condition with a brand new exhaust i sold when the speedo cable broke and i did not have time to fix because of work ....it broke my heart seeing it drive a way but it was too late by then...

I fully understand the passion we all have and what with this OCD thingy ...i have to wipe the dash with a microfibre cloth everytime i lock up the Merc. to keep the dust off, what a prat is that....even at my age...Lol

All i can say is Move On as i did cut your losses and enjoy the next motor and get the problem one out the way and out the mind....you will feel better for it.
    Last edited by 960kg; Monday 29th June 2015 at 11:51.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    The way I see it its one of the best R`s on here if not the best and lots of money spent on and I understand why were thinking of selling it cos sometimes u have to draw the line.In terms of sentimental value u can keep it as u`ve decided now or just move on and I`m sure there many other car that would make you happy but after a 9 years ownership I can`t be too sure.It is sad to see that engine coughing after all that money and effort.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Speaking as someone who is in a similar boat - I think parking it up for a while and trying something else for a bit is no bad thing. I am very attached to my SSB despite all the hassle. However if your heart is just not in it anymore then perhaps a clean start is something to consider. Can't think of anything else I'd really like.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Speaking as someone who is in a similar boat - I think parking it up for a while and trying something else for a bit is no bad thing. I am very attached to my SSB despite all the hassle. However if your heart is just not in it anymore then perhaps a clean start is something to consider. Can't think of anything else I'd really like.
    It's the same with my 480 - it's worth far less than the money spent on it, but I never manage to get rid. I've promised many times to sell it (& have even sold/gave it away twice) and it keeps coming back....sometimes in bits!

Appreciative
    Thanks
    That's what I like to term a yo-yo car

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Tuesday 30th June 2015)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    That's what I like to term a yo-yo car
    the string has snapped at the moment mate (engine blown)....so I'm trying to squeeze a T4 engine in there....

Appreciative
    Thanks
    The yo-yo that gets a bit more interesting each time it comes back! Like the sound of it with a T4.

I used to drive a 480 Turbo (was a pool car in a small family company I worked for) about 20 years ago, I had a Citroen ZX 1.9i Volcane at the time and remember being distinctly underwhelmed by the Volvo. But I did like the separate rear seats

Bugger, showing my age.
    Last edited by kmb; Tuesday 30th June 2015 at 08:17.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    The yo-yo that gets a bit more interesting each time it comes back! Like the sound of it with a T4.

I used to drive a 480 Turbo (was a pool car in a small family company I worked for) about 20 years ago, I had a Citroen ZX 1.9i Volcane at the time and remember being distinctly underwhelmed by the Volvo. But I did like the separate rear seats

Bugger, showing my age.
    I could waffle on loads about 480's but I don't want to de-rail the Andy's thread...they are under-powered as standard but there's a good few of us with ECU's fiddled with by a chap named Robou in the Netherlands. About the 480 T4 - my ideas are great but sometimes reality gets in the way - promise to make a project thread if I get anywhere...!

http://volvo480.spreadshirt.fr/roboumod-C316829

ZX volcane very underated btw

Apologies Andy!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 30th June 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Last invasion into this thread (ooops apologies) - I replaced the ZX Volcane with the ZX 16V (mi16 lump), it never really seemed as good a car as the Volcane.

I shall await the yo-yo project thread James

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Great to hear you're going to persevere with the car Andy, my only concern is parking a car up for a year or 2, really does it no favours at all, bearings and seals dry out, bushes perish, brakes rust and seize. A car that only needs an engine now, may need quite a bit more work a year or 2 down the line.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Great to hear you're going to persevere with the car Andy, my only concern is parking a car up for a year or 2, really does it no favours at all, bearings and seals dry out, bushes perish, brakes rust and seize. A car that only needs an engine now, may need quite a bit more work a year or 2 down the line.
    Very true & becomes even worse if the car is stored near the coast
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Tuesday 30th June 2015 at 10:33.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    it keeps coming back....sometimes in bits!
    At least it came back from me in one piece!

Lol

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

Thread Information