Join Today
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Swede demon
    Thanks
    been a while since i updated this but things have been happening still just at a reduced rate due to current financial situe!

so in the meantime i been slowly getting more goodies for the 740. first was a nice genuine set of volvo foglight covers in slightly used condition but after a quick refurbish will look good and will be used through winter to stop the grit ruining my fogs! and a set of genuine volvo turbo intercooler brackets cheap from the states including the rubbers that i took and sand blasted at work to prepare them for paint and storage untill the time is right.

then the BIG thing that has happened is that ive finally lowered the car! its on a 40mm drop all round on bilstien B4 dampers and a new IPD polly'd panhard bar and holy hell it handles so much better! like night and day no more ocean liner wobble. i also recieved a nice supprise parcel from sweden in the form of a genuine volvo snowcap with clips included.

foglight covers test fit

faded but still visible

turbo intercooler brackets sand blasted

lowering time! strut removed

the bus high but not dry in this awful british weather

old struts off. time to modify them

one lowered strut with old hardware, the dampers were shot

rears completed

bilstein b4's all round

new ipd panhard bar installed

press release style shot

the bus's new stance

amazing how 40mm changes a cars look entirely

side on drop shot

new snowcap from sweden

The Scrapyard Saved 740

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 16th November 2015),Hound (Tuesday 24th November 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Great job again, I bet the difference in handling is astounding, did you change top mounts etc. or were these all in good order?

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Looking good Husky. The lowered stance looks great, what is a snow cap ?

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    Great job again, I bet the difference in handling is astounding, did you change top mounts etc. or were these all in good order?
    Thanks! oh yeah the differance is night and day but the main thing (that i didnt think would make such a big differance) is the panhard bar with poly bush's in the rear of the car dont sway at all now through corners like it used to do. the top caps are ok for now + tight budget but will be changed eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Orca2 View Post
    Looking good Husky. The lowered stance looks great, what is a snow cap ?
    thanks. snow cap is a thing that goes over the heater vent holes in the scuttle to stop snow. leaves and general **** getting down n making your heater stop working. or clogging the sill drain holes n rotting the sills out from the inside out =) also it looks cool!
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Orca2 (Wednesday 18th November 2015)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    That's a great idea, I fished a shed load of leaves out of the scuttle panel on the c70 the drain holes were blocked solid

Swede demon
    Thanks
    so got a few things done this weekend in prep for winter.ste verry kindly painted my snowcap and got it fitted between the both of us and it looks rather good in my eyes! fitted my foglight covers to hopefully stop all the gritters ruining them. put in the genuine volvo snow trays as its gonna get bad soon and i dont want my carpet wrecking. and installed another power ariel so now it fully extends and dosent grind anymore!

snowcap fitted

close up of the snow cap

snow trays installed

foglight covers installed

power ariel replaced

fully extended ariel

The Scrapyard Saved 740

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 22nd November 2015),Hound (Tuesday 24th November 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thats some transformation

Credit to you, i love the these projects whereby hard work can outweigh outright money spent.

Looks great

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Making good progress, looks well for being lowered. I like the winter preparation mods, would you go as far as fitting big spot lights?

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saaamon View Post
    Making good progress, looks well for being lowered. I like the winter preparation mods, would you go as far as fitting big spot lights?
    the plan is to eventually yes as i got a set of original volvo "auxillary lamps" as their called. and the blue switch for the dashboard. just missing the brackets but im sure i can figure something out for those
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemihusky View Post
    the plan is to eventually yes as i got a set of original volvo "auxillary lamps" as their called. and the blue switch for the dashboard. just missing the brackets but im sure i can figure something out for those
    Awesome! Will look forward to that update.

Swede demon
    Thanks
    a small update but one that changes the look rather well i think. managed to get a original mudflap set and pinstripe kit from skandix to freshen the look up and re-pinstripe the painted side. but i also finally got my USA front after a lot of faffing about and turns out the wiring is exactly the same! just needed to extend the indicator wires.

so it was installed at johns late one night after dropping my winter wheels off for the tires fitting. and i think it looks quite good. oh yeah then a STUPID disastra driver rolled back into me in traffic as he didnt have enough pressure on the brakes. and he had a towbar. so its bent all my damn pressed plate. yaaaaay.

USA spec lights as arrived

new parking lights and indicator units

refurbished back plates

scandix parts

USA lights fitted

low beams on

The Scrapyard Saved 740

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 20th December 2015),Shinsplintz 101 (Friday 27th November 2015),t5 pete (Friday 27th November 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    So some more small updates as time has passed! not much has happened. first went to the cheshire meet and had a good time there talking old volvos with some nice food to boot. after that time to get my gemini's off and engage winter mode! 4 new conti winter tires on some old 940 alloys Ste verry kindly did me a good deal on. dosent matter if these get the brunt of the salt as they arent exactly rare, then came to fit my mudflaps on. and cleaning the surrounding area up i poked a hole in my floor. wuh oh, turns out its pretty localised so not TOO bad just a bit of a pain, been patched up with a margirine tub though thats scientifically proven to lower rust! or is that cholesterol? either way, looks better with some new mudflaps.

the bus and john's 245 turbo intercooler at the cheshire meet

another angle of the 2 red estates

winter mode engage!

ahhhh bugger

quickly bodge it with tape n seam sealer!

new mudflaps installed

general front pic =)

The Scrapyard Saved 740

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 17th January 2016),jamesy12345 (Sunday 13th December 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    If the lights are us spec does that mean the beams can be adjusted for rhd roads or are you blinding everyone? Lol
    Looks well dude.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    If the lights are us spec does that mean the beams can be adjusted for rhd roads or are you blinding everyone? Lol
    Looks well dude.
    nah they are flat dipping meaning they have no bend up/cut off like Ecodes do. just a flat beam so aim them far enough down and they are perfectly legal. i got a set of H4 conversion lamps in the works to change it to left dip Ecode style eventually though
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 14th December 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    been doing some tidying up and nerding this weekend. the fact i had GLE door cards and a turbo interior was starting to seriously bug me. so i decided why not at least try and re-skinn the door cards using my old seats that i stripped for the covers. so i did! contact adhesive and a lot of chopping n faffing (and making 2 right rear door cards. oops!) later i have a full set of turbo style door cards! their not excelent i admit. but for my first time making anything material wise i dont think their TOO bad. livable anyway.

making the door card

front fitted

rears fitted

gives a nice match now

drivers side

The Scrapyard Saved 740

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 21st December 2015),Dangerous Dave (Sunday 20th December 2015),martin_r_smith (Sunday 20th December 2015),t5 pete (Sunday 20th December 2015)

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    That looks alright - certainly not a bad first effort at all. You'll be reupholstering whole interiors before you know it!

Swede demon
    Thanks
    so happy new year to all n all that sorta stuff. dont expect me to change ill still be the same miserable git. anyway more updates with the bus small ones but. still counts i guess

first off my amazing partner bought me a Efan from a 940 as a christmas prezzy (as well as a new phone! well.. his old one but ya know) so that will be used to get rid of the vicious fan on the front that makes about as much noise as a cessna on takeoff!

i then ocd specced my dashboard with green bulbs for my switches cause it was gonna bug me. dunno why my old phone picked the dashboard up as blue it looks green in real life.

and finally i got a nice VX3 cam from mr chesh in nice condition with no pitting to replace my slightly pitted and not as hot V cam. was thinking that + the e fan may see some slight gain back in power making it a little better for the time untill i Jurbo intercooler swap it.

Efan

blur o vision shot of the dashboard with greeny bulbs

first shot of 2016 with the new phone seeing how it coped with dark

VX3 cam cleaned up

VX3 stamp. and slotted for 7/9 use

deacent lobe condition. thinking a low miler or good maintinence

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    few more updates on the 740 installed a under bonnet light from a GLE mainly cause i hate how they just left the wire dangling like "you couldve had this. but you bought a SE didnt you. poverty spec ****!" swapped the VX3 cam in witch gave a nice power band addition past 3K but makes it run a LOT smoother after setting the dizzy timing correctly.

while i was at it decided to wet flat my volvo logos back shiny as why not the corroded look was annoying me, finished installing my load liner to give it that proper estate look just need to re-tention to spring as its loosing its reel back, and then my new dashboard from the states arrived! this has the rare setup of oil temp gauge left and oil pressure right. also included all the senders and the same day my original NOS HT170 kit from germany arrived but turns out late door cards arent compatable with early speaker grilles so thats the next on the list. also got a NOS grille bracket to replace my buggered one.

installed all the oil pressure gauge milarkey that was a small pain in the rear with the senders adapter and such but in the end its on and working.

GLE under bonnet light

shined up my lettering

load liner finished

new dashboard arrived

nice rare oil pressure gauge

NOS grille bracket

NOS HT170 kit

HT170 unboxed

oil pressure sender installed

healthy oil pressure for 166K

The Scrapyard Saved 740

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 17th January 2016),kmb (Monday 11th January 2016),Shinsplintz 101 (Sunday 10th January 2016)

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    looking good

Swede demon
    Thanks
    some more small updates done. think this weekend the leak on my glass sunroof has been sorted thanks to the help from john.

after getting the glass out that turned out to be 4 8mm bolts when the 940 haynes says "take it to a dealer" my arse! took the edge seal off and found a lot of water underneeth the glass on the inside. so gunked it up with locktite stuff and re-installed and hasnt leaked yet. just because we couldnt streach the seal all the way back to its original possition there is a gap and thats whistling but not to worry.

it also saw its first snow in my ownership and looks at home in the white stuff. also finally my conti winters have come into use. was starting to thing it was a waste of money this year!

sunroof out

edge seal off awaiting re-sealing

first snow of the year its seen with me!

and back in bradford with a nice ground coverage too

The Scrapyard Saved 740

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 17th January 2016),Shinsplintz 101 (Sunday 17th January 2016)

Thread Information