Join Today
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Thats one dodgy battery cable! Thank god it didn't cause any more damage or worse!

Love the old school volvos, I miss my 940, would take anything I could throw at it, even battled on with a corroded cylinder head mating surface (when my sister in law had it). I had a spare cylinder head but it had been sat outside for years and was all oxidised. A quick scrub and pressure wash and it was useable (fortunately the mating surface was good), still going strong today
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Swede demon
    Thanks
    some more updates from a very productive weekend on the bus. so first up is a better picture of those battery cables showing that on a 7/900 they route them kinda bad causing this chaffing issue new cables were made up and eliminate this issue with some protective cord etc. then it was decided there and then that why not repaint my car? so off came the old corroded tailgate and off to ste haighs to swap it for the good one off his 940 to live on.

once it was back at johns he showed me how to prep it for the paint doing the inside satin black to make things easier and for a better look (personally) dont think i did too bad of a job for a novice including masking it up. meanwhile ste was preparing the side of the car for re-paint n we swapped my wheel to a old 240 steel so we dont have to mask it n no risk of paint on my gemini's. after that was done it was rolled into the workshop for the tailgate fitting and some more flatting and prepping. along with some rust removal using the rust be gone by john. we also modified the boot to fit a old style 740 handle rather than the later 940 curved one (looks mainly) also meant re-wiring the numberplate lights that i made some jumper harnesses up for.

then it came the time to paint it. bought the paint from a local paint shop and ste did a amazing job applying it onto the car. has a few things to sort out/flat and buff / re polish but its really finished the bus off nicely and after re-installing everything this is how it looks now! so a productive weekend all things considered and thanks to john and ste for repainiting my car for me!

battery cable issues

old tailgate removed

my old tailgate on ste's car

tailgate prepped

and inside painted satin black

car prepped outside

#

in the workshop rust removing and masking

ste putting the first coat on

tailgate all painted up fresh

outside to be re-assembled

the bus outside my house

no more horid painted quater

nice shiny red tailgate

no more rusty arches

nice shiny door

The Scrapyard Saved 740

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Wednesday 2nd September 2015),dionbullock (Monday 19th October 2015),kmb (Tuesday 15th September 2015),Shinsplintz 101 (Tuesday 1st September 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Been a bit quiet recently as work picked up but im back on with a few more items on the car. so first off it did another flawless journey to essex for a weekend with the new partner and just clicked over 160K and washed all the euro crap off it from ef at last. all looked like it was going well. then the breather decided to fail n pressurise the insides and blow the cam cover seal literaly showering oil all over my damn engine bay!

not to worry bought all the parts from FPF who did me a great deal and replacing the breather was a small pain in the arse with space constraignts but i got it and the crank case pressure was sorted then i also replaced the cam cover gasket that had well and truely gone. vectored and de-greased all my engine bay and got it looking shiny again and went into leeds for the day and snapped a few pics on top of the woodhouse lane carpark.

rolled over 160K

in essex

washed all the euro crud on it

the mess the cam cover made

the mess the cam cover made (2)

area i gotta remove to get the breather

offending breather removed

replacing the cam cover gasket

shiny bus in leeds

sunset setting shot

shovel nose front

shiny rear with no corrosion

The Scrapyard Saved 740

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Tuesday 15th September 2015),jamesy12345 (Tuesday 15th September 2015)

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Looking good fella, some more progress.

I love the blasé attitude towards the part respray

This user has no status

Thanks
    Can we swap?

I see you are running the old K-Jetronic like mine, does it sound like a diesel slightly?

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    Looking good fella, some more progress.

I love the blasé attitude towards the part respray
    not sure what you mean by the blase way? im hellish greatfull for the part respray just maybe dont show it as much on forums ya know. mainly cause i got no clue what to type most of the time! and yes mine runs Kjet injection. unsure what you mean by a diesel? the slightly more rattly noise they have yeah but mine has that jetex exhaust on it so sounds rather good in my eyes
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Car looks great Husky, you rate of progress is amazing, it takes me forever to get the simplest thing done. Lol.
    I think Davey means Blase in the way that you take these things in your stride , that much respraying usually merits a thread on its own, keep at it mate , the bus gets better every time I see it on here.

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Keep the updates coming fella - really enjoy this thread, especially how you just take the mechanical foibles the car keeps throwing up & just fixing it. Many would have set fire to it by now, but it's great to see you put the time & effort into this old workhorse.

It's really looking rather good , all the best, Morgan

Appreciative
    Thanks
    As others have said, great thread and even better progress - Making a top job on turning this car around!

Volvo Mangler
    Thanks
    A labour of love to be sure, and a credit to its owner!

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemihusky View Post
    not sure what you mean by the blase way? im hellish greatfull for the part respray just maybe dont show it as much on forums ya know. mainly cause i got no clue what to type most of the time! and yes mine runs Kjet injection. unsure what you mean by a diesel? the slightly more rattly noise they have yeah but mine has that jetex exhaust on it so sounds rather good in my eyes
    Nah, as Orca says I mean as in Jon and Steve make it sound like nothing, a simple task.

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    Nah, as Orca says I mean as in Jon and Steve make it sound like nothing, a simple task.
    ahhh got the wrong end of the stick =P well it was pretty much just a impulse thing over the weekend i turned up to fix my battery cable issue. then john decided why not repaint my car and do the tailgate while im here. so we did XD
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Thursday 17th September 2015),Orca2 (Thursday 17th September 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    so a few more updates on the old bus. bought it some new goodies including some clear side repeaters as mine were faded as hell and not doing much matching to my clear rears and a new 130DB 12v airhorn high twin tone italian style to replace the horid ebay horn that was put on as a replacement to the rusted out volvo one. then spent a whole day cleaning and polishing the car for the gaydon VT meet. looks rather good now =)

New Airhorn

clear sides installed

all valeted

rear shot

valeted interior

valeted boot area

polished up my jetex

nose all cleaned up

and the other side

gave the gemini's a polish up

side profile

i got bored so angle shot

valated passenger side

rear seats done too

back profile

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    some more small updates to the bus took it to VT's gaydon show and got some shots with andy's great 760 ala 80's brochure style and picked up a load bay liner i bought, on the way home i made freinds with a V70R driver flash green manual of all things and a member of VOC just happened to be in the same fuel station i pulled into! then once i got home a nice supprise was my chequred headrest pads arrived from the states. so now i got 3/4 of a full turbo interior. and i wired in the antenna down switch from andys 760 breaker he kindly gave me and fixed the verry non volvo scotchlock wiring!

The bus with andys 760

the bus with andys 760 (2)

making freinds on the way home

headrest pads installed

power antenna switch installed

load liner

raio wiring

scotchlocked wires

back of the antenna switch

The Scrapyard Saved 740

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Tuesday 29th September 2015),t5 pete (Tuesday 29th September 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Its the small details i love to make on this car just got and installed my latest addition a original volvo optional extra armrest with cupholders front and back, gave it a small wipe with vinyl care too so its a little more shiny now and also cleaned up my mucky load liner so it looks a lot better now. not perfect but it dosent need to be. this car is still a parts hauler and not no show queen!

Cupholder armrest

front with non broken sliders

Rear cupholders

non broken rear sliders missing 1 cup tab but not a huge issue

load liner cleaned up well

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    some more faffing done this weekend with the barge got my foglights working after a lot of wire faffing as someones buggered about with my wiring prior making things difficult! went to a volvo breakers (primarily to get a freinds white 240 door) and walked away with a MUCH better interior for my car. same pattern just not collapsed and then i got my new shiny oil cap installed and it stopped my oil leak as hoped pluss it looks cool =)

new oil filler cap

both fogs working

new interior

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    so through this week ive been faffing with the soon to be new addition to the car cleaning it up. remember that awful dirty old interior i bought? well it now looks like this! a pretty good change i think personally gonna look nice when its all installed. i also took some artsy shots for the album =)

the old bus

with working fogs now

rear shot

rear seats cleaned

front seats cleaned

drivers seat

pattern came up good

rear seats again

The Scrapyard Saved 740

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Biff (Thursday 15th October 2015),kmb (Thursday 15th October 2015),Shinsplintz 101 (Thursday 15th October 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    another sucessfull weekend with great thanks to john n ste as per the usual for giving me a hand with the bits i got absolutely no clue on! this weekend i swapped the interior out for my better condition interior got the seatbelt warning light and illuminated seatbelt buckles working and dismantled the front seats to save the covers for spares if i ever need them (the drivers base will be cut up and used for another project) then john helped me install my fleabay special airhorn as the wiring as much as its simple for someone who has a general idea i got no sodding clue! but that went relitively easy and john made me a amazingly nice Volvo r sport homologation only in italy airhorn bracket.it honestly snt a old jack we cut up to make it work! it has a nice high pithced loud tone to it like a italian style air horn picked up my new winter wheels from ste and gave it a general wash over.

new front seats

another angle showing the condition

new rear seats

my winter wheels

airhorn installed

genuine volvo bracket not a old jack honest

relay location and wiring

power take off from battery

The Scrapyard Saved 740

24. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

dionbullock (Monday 19th October 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    another busy busy weekend on the bus. got a few things done to mine as i was mainly helping with others cars this weekend. so on the bus ive managed to give it a good wash and the interior a leather care over bringing the seats up to real good condition. re-blacked my grille and cleaned my winter wheels with my acidic wheel cleaner. then at johns i managed to wire in a fuse from the battery for the airhorn as i totally forgot that when wiring it! oops. did a oil and filter change and installed my new temp sender sump plug and connected that. i had it pre-wired for a while just had no sender and it works! just about the oil never gets up to any real temperature in this weather and being a small b200e naturaly ashmatic made all my dash lights work again and john kindly painted in my seats with leather dye making them look like brand new again!

so all in all another good weekend on the bus n edging it closer n closer to how i want it =)

rear seats cleaned

front seats cleaned

grille re-blacked

winter wheels cleaned

brake dust cleaned off the back

polished after its wash

new oil filter + temp sender

temp sender installed

oil temp guage working

seats repainted

The Scrapyard Saved 740

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 25th October 2015)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Looking better all the time mate, the seats look like new.

Thread Information