Join Today
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Swede demon
    Thanks
    hey everyone! been a while i know but some more things have been going on with the old bus.

so at long last got my pinging issue sorted new knock sensor fitted and it still pinged. tested the wires wernt broken. and tried conti testing the old knock sensor. that it didnt like! oops then checked my timing, turns out it was set at 20 as a base and was just advancing it into oblivion so set it to 10 and now runs fine (spec is 12 but i couldnt get it that good)

fitted my turbo bricks sticker cause why not, got my new speakers for it some pioneer coaxal 3 ways to uprate the sound system slightly, also got my hands on ANOTHER set of ht170 NOS speaker grilles for the rear doors.

and heres my main find a set of 1988 early style 740 door cards. they arent in too bad condition some dents, damage and slight wrinkling on the passenger side but all fixable.

got them all installed with my new speakers mounted in temporarily untill i can make a proper mounting system for them. and also got some nice new headlight protectors to modify to make work with my USA lights to protect them from stones on my autobhan trips.

new knock sensor

turbobricks sticker installed

new pioneers turned up

out of the box

with the grilles removed

HT170 grilles

old style door cards

1988 date code, last of the old style

general mess of speakers grilles and trim!

new speakers screwed into the plastic mounting

not great weather for door card fitting...snowing.

HT170 grilles fitted on the new door cards, cant see the speakers behined

USA style at night

the west yorkshire brigade out in force

new headlight protectors

The Scrapyard Saved 740

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 31st January 2016),kmb (Sunday 31st January 2016),martin_r_smith (Sunday 31st January 2016)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    some more faffing has been done over the prior weeks and such to the car gave it a good wash + polish showing that the red still looks good after 28 years! original paint on the bonnet. i also brought my original volvo bodykit over to johns with my spare bumpers to start work on. its bashed up but not so far gone its unsavable.

we made a strenghtening piece for the bottom of the bumper to make it keep shape. crafted by john H pidgion ££££ welded by me! but once bonded in it works a treat. also got my new badges for the rear. found a nice little "Injection" badge that i think is off a 360 to give it a period sporty look as i cant put a fake turbo badge on when its not.

but dont want just 740 or 740 SE. so once again john helped with the paint side flatting and buffed the main part while i hand did the areas inaccessable by machine. looks nice with the new badges on. i also managed to break my airbox lid annoyingly and seeing how i had no spare. nor can i find a uncracked one off to halfrauds i went for a chav filter.

cause even chav filtered air is better than unfiltered air, so made a small L bracket for it utilising the original volvo studs in the engine bay n jobs a good one. gives a hilarious sound to it too on WOT, so yeah just thought id post up that stuff is still happening to the old red hunk o junk.

Fuel stop time

polished the bonnet

bodykit beng worked on

strength bar made

bar clamped in and being held to set

Injection badge as recieved

original badge layout idea

chav filter bracket making

home made bracket, does the job and dosent shake it or stress the intake pipe so jobs a good one

looks hilarious installed

badges installed

how we lined the other side up

The Scrapyard Saved 740

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 1st April 2016),Dangerous Dave (Sunday 21st February 2016),kmb (Monday 22nd February 2016)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    so thought id update this to show i am doing something with this car despite the 240! also im slowly going through re-doing the pictures to permalinks meaning all pictures will work again soon for those who want to look back at the progress.

anyway what have i done since badging it up? well i bought a original cassette tape holder accessory cheap nice little period touch i find it fun. replaced my exhaust front silencer as santa pod killed it with the launches i think, used it as a small parts van helping with Ste's headgasket job. then crashed the door into a tree =(

had the door open by accident and reversed caught the tree and bent it round bending the door good n proper. sourced a replacement door already though so not all hope is lost, also bought some genuine gaskets oil filters and some oil for a long overdue service!

cassette deck holder

installed

needs some tapes now

exhaust silencer whoops

new silencer to go on

parts van duties

and ££££££££

long overdue service!

The Scrapyard Saved 740

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

kmb (Thursday 31st March 2016),Shinsplintz 101 (Friday 1st April 2016)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Bummer on the door, but good progress elsewhere

Swede demon
    Thanks
    this one will be a double post due to the ammount of pics (and limit on some forums) so bear with me. ive been doing things to the 740 just got out of habbit of updating on here!

so, whats been going on, well first the 740 got pressed into parts van service once again fetching a coffin nose bonnet for my 245/265 project thingy, once back treated it to a oil change and cam cover gasket change that stopped my leak from the top but i still got a leak around the water pump area. my guess the oil feed dowell is leaking through the head gasket. something i cant be bothered fixing currently!

jacked it up as the MOT was immiment looking for rust and oh dear. rusty rust all over the shop, holes in places and rust in nearly every seam! so the long term view on this shell is maybe it wont make it. but more on that later.

went and got a LPG kit and cruise control from a breakers 940 for use in the 7 turbo project and then gave it a good wash. thats all for this update more in a moment!

parts mission ready to go

with a bonnet on the roof ready to go

oil and cam cover gasket change

started the rust finding mission

inner arch not looking great

control arm mounting rust

big hole in my floor

breaker 940 parts gathering

gave the engine bay a clean

cleaned the load cover and rear area

rear seats cleaned

fronts done

front chrome tarted up

nonturbo brick

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    so after that. got my new CR-824 radio from australia for my eventual 780 style radio setup. gave it a wash and polish for the VT show at IK classics, modified my load liner to stop knocking it off my home made pegs over speed bumps and fixed the cover itself as it was all comming apart thanks to john for helping with a glue!

hit over 170K and had some nice beading from polishing, then came the big rust repairs. cut all the major rust out and welded a patch in, managed to pass a MOT with that but the long term idea of this shell may not due to the sea life its lived. but i have a 940 non rusty shell in storage now. that will eventually become this car, only issue is its metalic red and its got no sunroof!

then i got a new antenna ariel and some badges. its all about the small details.

rear cleaned

new badges looking ok cleaned

overall shot

CR-824 radio

got the code from a american dealer powered up n works fine!

side profile cleaned

modified load liner

showing it in the car

170K!

nice beading

bonnet beading

rust hole

all cut out for welding

another years mot

new ariel and badges

The Scrapyard Saved 740

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Santa (Sunday 8th May 2016),Shinsplintz 101 (Monday 2nd May 2016)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Great job, compared to when you bought this car it's an amazing transformation!

Swede demon
    Thanks
    this one will be a 2 parter as its been a while since i updated it!

so since the last update the car has been mainly just being the daily hack as its been doing good at, cleaned it and got some shots at the local asda, got some new lesfjors boot struts so now it dosent hit me on the head every 2 secconds! hauled johns new rebuilt axle and old 940 axle back to his house.

went to kierens and swapped the non dented door he kindly donated to me and i think the color will come closer with polishing, the centeral locking required wires lenghtening then decided to die after i got it hooked up, power going to the motor but jack all is happening, grrrr and de-pinstriped the whole car with a heat gun n filler spreader in the rain at 9pm the night before confuzzled. what a life eh?

got it all cleaned for cfz loaded up n set sail. breezed down to birmingham like it was nothing doing about 28 to the gallon not bad for a 2.0 being proper beaten on by me! and loaded up

more to follow

cleaned the bus

back shot

trains!

new tailgate struts

axle hauling

another wash and polish

door replaced, window held up with tape as we needed to swap the glass to use my 740 electric window regs as their a differant style!

centeral locking faffing

door fitted

still working late at night

all cleaned

front end cleaned quickly

packed and ready for the off

parked at cfz

my car at motorfurs after detailing with james coyote and arcais panda

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    after that met another volvo freind at cfz with a S60 T5, spaceball shifter and a original volvo car phone quite nice spec so obiously park next to him, then it was time to go home sadly, once again made it back easy as pie.

then back to chilling in the works car park with the boring cars, then drove to birmingham to collect more parts for my car and johns car when going down it was like end of the world rain floods all over the place and couldnt even see the end of my bonnet, but still breezed it the cig lighter came loose and blew a fuse but easy fix.

got all my bulbs working that blew during the fuse pop by accident, then did my engine mounts as it turns out, one side was not much of a mount anymore the cap came off when i jacked the engine, cleaned everything up and re-installed then went cruising as the sun sets. so yeah the 740's still going just being the daily van.

2 volvos at cfz

old and new!

time to hit the road, bye bye birmingham hilton

back at work

what the hell rain

stopped for food still dripping wet

fully loaded with the parts. trim bits for mine n windscreen surround for john

all the bulbs light up

EQ light up properly now

replacing the mounts

whoops thats bust

mounts replaced

and other side replaced, dunno why pro parts painted them so as soon as the engine lands on it cracks like hell n looks awful

gone cruisin

The Scrapyard Saved 740

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Monday 13th June 2016)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    right another lil update to this, seeing how its been a while. firstly replaced the rather corroding and bubling 740 side bump strips with 940 ones, what a pain that was a volvo put the pegs that hold them onto the door in differant places so they had to be "modified", with a dremel.

gave it a good old wash for a show at woodvale, good classic car show and some nice volvos on our stand, made a small RWD section all spanning from west yorkshire too, 2 bradford 2 huddersfield 1 leeds, got a set of 440 gauges to put into my lower 780 radio box section (yes that ideas still going ahead, battling customs atm)

got some 740 turbo badges for the eventual transformation, fitted a pro parts sweden splash tray as it being missing was causing one hell of a mess in the engine bay, and then i got a new gearbox mount to try solve the rattle thats happening. so not a huge update but ya know, still plodding along.

bump strips replaced

cleaned for the show

front end all re-blacked

ready to rock and roll

fear the injection.

our RWD lineup

440 gauges

badges, bought both styles as why the hell not

new splash tray

gearbox mount

old car old street

The Scrapyard Saved 740

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 4th July 2016)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    been a while since i updated this thread! so a long overdue one i think as its just been doing daily duties if im honest. so in the time its been on hiatus i replaced the M47 gearbox rubber mount mainly as the old one was sagging to hell and i thought originally it was the cause of one of the rattles thats plauged my car from buying it. but it turns out it wasnt. now thinking prop center bearing is on its way out slowly. also helps when you tighten the bolts for the mounting as a few days later there was one hell of a buzz. as the bolt rattled against the crossmember doh!

also replaced the cambelt before a large yearly trip. mainly for peace of mind the old belt didnt look like it was a shoe string but better safe than sorry. got some nice used sil covers from america for the car to give it a slightly higher class look but will be used in the MK2 version of this build most likely.

the car stood up to the hammering through the summer with no oil pressure issues at all in the blazing heat, got some rare tweeters for the dashboard from sweden for my ultimate accessory build up. got some badges ready for the reincarnation and rupert kindly donated his old 440 turbo gauges that fit in the lower slot of a 780 radio setup thats where these will be but with turbo and alternator rather than economy gauge.

bought a polis pannel from sweden for extra switches by the rear view mirror that only works with non sunroof cars. gives a small clue about the V2 of this car. then it had my yearly trip to germany. from huddersfield to hull. over to nurburg for the oldtimer grand prix. back to breda holland to pick up a freind. then up to berlin. and all the way back to dunkirkue and up the country. car help up perfect even doing some high speed 100+ runs and keeping up with johns turbo 245.

once it was home it got one hell of a clean to get all the flies and grime off the car. treated it to some nice good condition orange lights as i sorta prefer the retro look now. and then recently my coolant gauge died so i replaced it with the unit from my old GLE. all working but thats about it for now!

M47 mount replacement

cambelt time

good condition sill covers

summer time cruising

tweeters

better condition badges

440 gauges

Polis pannel

fly spattered bumper

brake dusty geminis

killed a fair few flies

fly spattered numberplate

let the cleaning begin!

all clean

put back on oranges

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    another update gonna be quite a large double update as i havent been keeping up with this car. poor 740! anyway. after fixing the coolant temp gauge i came home to a nice package from a swedish freind. that includes a good condition genuine volvo 3rd brakelight spoiler for the 7. outside air temp gauge kit that im going to modify into a place. nor will it read outside air temp.

a set of map reading lights for the rear passengers 760 style and a blue aux lights switch for my winter time running lamps. then gave the car a nice valet and re-blacked all the trim just in time for it to snow in leeds! yep. fully snowed over for a few day and it ruined all my cleaning work!

then fitted my genuine volvo sill protector covers gives a bit of a nicer touch when the doors open and my volvo internal wind deflectors i also got from sweden. then finally i found a R sport style horn button in my box of 240 parts that john hughes kindly modified for me to fit into the isuzu steering wheel like his is. makes it look a lot more quality item rather than a sticker. i also started to prep my brakelight spoiler for instalation but more on that next post.

gauges apart for fixing

coolant temp guage fixed slowly rising

package from sweden

outside temp gauge

map lights switch and temp gauge sender

brakelight spoiler

cleaned the 740

snowed over

snowed over back view

at work in the sleet n snow

rear sill protector installed

front sill protector installed

internal wind deflector installed

R sport horn button i found

spoiler prep

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    continuing on a big thanks to john hughes for helping me fit my spoiler. peeling the old tape off was "fun" in the same way that eating a box full of nails is. touched it up slightly and then we had to think of a fitting solution as i didnt have the original volvo U clamps. so john drilled the tailgate and we used a nut and bolt + double sided tape to install the spoiler. quite a secure mounting system with no worry of comming off.

took the feed for the extra brake light from the 3rd brake light feed on the main connector inside the car, seam sealered all the bolt points so my tailgate wont corrode out and will paint it once its dried properly. then gave the 740 a good wash outside and in for its continued good service so far. 180K now and still going strong.

embossed horn button installed

spoiler test fitting

spoiler test fitting

mounting system. will clean it up when its dry

all cleaned and showing the new spoiler

nice and shiny once again

side shot i like it a lot more with the spoiler

front end all cleaned

interior cleaned

brake light operation

The Scrapyard Saved 740

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 20th November 2016),smithy (Monday 5th December 2016)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    another small update on the 7 as im slowly forcing myself to do some things to it even though its life is a bit limited.

got a small package from sweden containing my genuine volvo roma steering wheel r sport boss and a coin holder full of swedish crowns for the 740.

installed that on a briskly cold day and personaly i love it a lot more than my old wheel then replaced the oil temp gauge that died with my volt gauge so at least i got something there that works.

john h kindly assisted me in taking the old corroded ££££ty trim off the 7 and repainting it a nice black makes it look a lot more presentable now

gave it a good wash with all this salt on the roads lately and installed my coin tray during the week =)

steering wheel, boss and coin holder

warming up the 740 and de-icing it

roma wheel installed

volt gauge installed

painted the trim

parked next to the 240

all washed off

coin holder installed with swedish crowns too

top down view

The Scrapyard Saved 740

22. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 6th December 2016)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    more updates to the 7 thread! so apart from a lot of cleaning, curse the winter weather!

i canabalised a 240 tape deck holder to fix my rarer 7 one and make my center console look nice once again, leather fed my gear shift cover from the back + front made it a lot softer and looks better as it was really starting to dry up.

Installed my blue spotlamp switch i need to get the lamps here yet but for now the switch can sit there, painted my grey 960 map lights black and with help from john H installed them in the 740. nicely volvo had put a mark on the rear of the trim to show where they needed to be cut out =)

and stuck my HT164 tweeters down to the dashboard the wires are routed but standard from volvo has them spliced into the standard speaker wires. i decided this would make them sound horid so a crossover is on order to make them only take the high end frequency

(on another note i am going back updating all pictures so they will work, give me some time!)

outside the chip shop lookin smart

461 by ramawson, on Flickr

christmas shot

462 by ramawson, on Flickr

time to rip apart one to fix the other

463 by ramawson, on Flickr

all fixed

464 by ramawson, on Flickr

another cleaned shot

465 by ramawson, on Flickr

gear shift cover leather fed

466 by ramawson, on Flickr

sat out in the corner

467 by ramawson, on Flickr

switch installed

468 by ramawson, on Flickr

map lights painted

469 by ramawson, on Flickr

HT 164 tweeters installed

470 by ramawson, on Flickr

map lights in the trims

471 by ramawson, on Flickr

and in the car

472 by ramawson, on Flickr
    Last edited by hemihusky; Friday 30th December 2016 at 00:34.
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    been a while since i updated this thread so theres a lot of catching up to do ill do over the next few days, ive been slacking mainly due to life getting in the way, but things have still been done to the 740!

so after the prior stuff it was pressed into its winter service running. getting rather mucky n reminding me how bad sealed beams are when they get mucky i couldnt see a damn thing! but it completed a long trip down to essex to see the partner and back flawlessly as usual, once back i got a package from my american freind that included some nicer seals for my USA quads to stop the condensation forming in the parking lights and indicators.

and another CR702 radio as my current one died. but after a while this radio turned out to be as bad as the other one so it got removed and pillaged for parts, bought some random odds n ends to treat it in the meantime including a NOS headlight knob as mine was badly worn another hazzard switch cover as mine broke and a ticket holder as i broke that installing the map lights.

so did that one weekend and also made a 740 freind over at johns workshop turns out its a local car to us, 90's front 740 GLE

yucky salt

473 by ramawson, on Flickr

holy mucky sealed beams

474 by ramawson, on Flickr

183K still going strong

475 by ramawson, on Flickr

almost home from the trip to essex

476 by ramawson, on Flickr

mucky mucky

477 by ramawson, on Flickr

salt streaks gallore

478 by ramawson, on Flickr

better USA quad seals

479 by ramawson, on Flickr

the replacement not so great CR702

480 by ramawson, on Flickr

odds n ends

481 by ramawson, on Flickr

switch installed

482 by ramawson, on Flickr

old busted cover

483 by ramawson, on Flickr

radio in for the brief time (few days)

484 by ramawson, on Flickr

switch cover works

485 by ramawson, on Flickr

740 freind

486 by ramawson, on Flickr

replaced ticket holder

487 by ramawson, on Flickr
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

kmb (Wednesday 8th March 2017)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    following on from the prior update gave the car a wash and took it to a northern retro meet starting at the market in huddersfield then over to the highway man cafe and to ik classics and apart from the field getting us all stuck it was a good day n some nice cars spotted.

then inbetween the winter driving i took some fancy shots as im slowly getting happy with how my interior looks, fitted my better usa lamp seals thats mostly cured the condensation think the rest is bad aftermarket unit sealing, made a 850R freind in the services and got a shot of the fleet as it is. apart from my 940 thats hiding away.

washed n ready

488 by ramawson, on Flickr

looks good next to johns car

489 by ramawson, on Flickr

volvo team on a roll

490 by ramawson, on Flickr

stuck in the field

491 by ramawson, on Flickr

after show wash

492 by ramawson, on Flickr

nice interior shot 1

493 by ramawson, on Flickr

another fancy angle

494 by ramawson, on Flickr

aaaand another angle

495 by ramawson, on Flickr

suddenly got rather snowy

496 by ramawson, on Flickr

fitting my seals

497 by ramawson, on Flickr

all done

498 by ramawson, on Flickr

850R freind

499 by ramawson, on Flickr

nice view from my window

500 by ramawson, on Flickr

fleet shot 1

501 by ramawson, on Flickr

and another with a clean yard now

502 by ramawson, on Flickr
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    carrying on from the last time i did another oil n filter change to flush out some of the carbon crap thats still comming outta my 180K mile block. prior owner wasnt big on changes obiously, so down to the local clive brook in huddersfield, had a glance at the new range but not for me. once that was done i cleaned up my new TD6141 740 radio face i got from america and fitted a vatra battery that did solve my starting issue slightly, also made the car run a lot nicer.

on swapping the radio i found the tape deck was dead (worked but not picking up any sound) and half the lighting circuit was dead so im gonna have it refurbished by a radio place localy thats good with radios when i get the time, after that went to oil can cafe volvotuining meet, was a good day out car ran fine no complaints there, picked up a 100A alternator from ste to replace my dieing 740 unit as it was slowly not charging the new huge battery.

and kept pressing on with winter running duty's so lots of salt n grit, did WD40 the lid for a "instant black" look, bit cheating but ya know im lazy.

arty shot by the bf

503 by ramawson, on Flickr

new vs old

504 by ramawson, on Flickr

the new line, yet the old is still going strong

505 by ramawson, on Flickr

cleaning the face up

506 by ramawson, on Flickr

new battery fitted

507 by ramawson, on Flickr

radio milarkey

508 by ramawson, on Flickr

face off to check the circuits

509 by ramawson, on Flickr

in and powered up. radio side works but i use a tape deck aux a LOT

510 by ramawson, on Flickr

mine at oil can cafe

511 by ramawson, on Flickr

general overview

512 by ramawson, on Flickr

another from the bf driving back looks like its from a 80's vhs

513 by ramawson, on Flickr

100A alternator from ste

514 by ramawson, on Flickr

awful awful salt

515 by ramawson, on Flickr

instant black!

516 by ramawson, on Flickr

crusty headlights

517 by ramawson, on Flickr
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

28. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Wednesday 15th March 2017)

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Have been following your thread m8 but can't see all your photos which is a shame wouldn't mind a old 740 battle bus tbh I just missed out on one for free not so long ago well worth the effort turbo charged or not looks good
    Last edited by Johnboy78; Thursday 16th March 2017 at 15:52.

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy78 View Post
    Have been following your thread m8 but can't see all your photos which is a shame wouldn't mind a old 740 battle bus tbh I just missed out on one for free not so long ago well worth the effort turbo charged or not looks good
    yeah i know a lot of the old pictures have died im in the process of fixing them all dont worry just a long old job like
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Thread Information