Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Opinions vary.

19t FTW.

This car is going to be a track car. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a K24.
    I personally prefer the k24 as in my experience it's less laggy and has made more power.

What was the final Dyno result with your Owens development 19t?

Did you manage to sort the map as it wasn't performing as You expected

I would have thought 350 plus easily with the spec you have.

Mine just pipe and map made 337 on 95 Ron, like them or not they do make the power without much work.
    Last edited by Ettienne; Thursday 2nd July 2015 at 17:47.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Price on k24s has come down a bit from what I remember, brand new complete turbo with actuator exhaust housing etc £495 inc vat (£150 ish surcharge on old core)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    I personally prefer the k24 as in my experience it's less laggy and has made more power.

What was the final Dyno result with your Owens development 19t?

Did you manage to sort the map as it wasn't performing as You expected

I would have thought 350 plus easily with the spec you have.

Mine just pipe and map made 337 on 95 Ron, like them or not they do make the power without much work.

Maybe you just haven't driven a car with a 19t that is set up correctly to it's full potential? Long gone are the days of throwing a 19t on, and chucking an old Rica340 ECU in and hoping for the best.

Redbrick's 850 made 370bhp with the 2.5, 19t and supporting mods on a Maha dyno. I believe the highest bhp seen on the same dyno with a k24 was around 10bhp less on an S60R with a flowed head/WI/etc. Not that peak HP really says what is what. If you were to drive Redbricks or my 850 you would find it is anything but laggy, it's savage, from any gear at any revs. 60-100 times about 1 second quicker than my old S70 with a new K24, and that was heavily modified too.

Why ask questions you know the answer to? You know that my S60 made three thirty something on the dyno day. And you know that it has been remapped since then. On that day, the car was running an MTE stage 2 remap for a K24, and when it went on the dyno, the boost was pulsing up and down (for some unknown reason, it's not something that happened on the road). I agree, and if you wanted to put a figure on the car, I would expect a peak figure of around 350bhp. At some stage I'll get it on a random number generator to put your mind at rest.

Second hand K24's are a waste of time. At factory boost they cope ok, but as soon as you up the boost they become a ticking time bomb. How many people who use a K24 on their car use their car on track? And I don't mean a 15 second blast up a drag strip, or one or two teaser track sessions, or one full track day a year, I mean actually use their car in anger on a track several times a year? I can only think of one, Ashok on T5D5. Ask him how many new K24's he has gone through. A new one will last a while, but I wouldn't waste my money.

If you want reliability and longevity, fit a brand new standard 19t. And you should get a good few years of track abuse out of it.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

kmb (Friday 3rd July 2015),leet5r (Friday 3rd July 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    That seems very defensive (but also very interesting), as an outsider looking in it just appeared Ettienne was providing a personal opinion.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Maybe you just haven't driven a car with a 19t that is set up correctly to it's full potential? Long gone are the days of throwing a 19t on, and chucking an old Rica340 ECU in and hoping for the best.

Redbrick's 850 made 370bhp with the 2.5, 19t and supporting mods on a Maha dyno. I believe the highest bhp seen on the same dyno with a k24 was around 10bhp less on an S60R with a flowed head/WI/etc. Not that peak HP really says what is what. If you were to drive Redbricks or my 850 you would find it is anything but laggy, it's savage, from any gear at any revs. 60-100 times about 1 second quicker than my old S70 with a new K24, and that was heavily modified too.

Why ask questions you know the answer to? You know that my S60 made three thirty something on the dyno day. And you know that it has been remapped since then. On that day, the car was running an MTE stage 2 remap for a K24, and when it went on the dyno, the boost was pulsing up and down (for some unknown reason, it's not something that happened on the road). I agree, and if you wanted to put a figure on the car, I would expect a peak figure of around 350bhp. At some stage I'll get it on a random number generator to put your mind at rest.

Second hand K24's are a waste of time. At factory boost they cope ok, but as soon as you up the boost they become a ticking time bomb. How many people who use a K24 on their car use their car on track? And I don't mean a 15 second blast up a drag strip, or one or two teaser track sessions, or one full track day a year, I mean actually use their car in anger on a track several times a year? I can only think of one, Ashok on T5D5. Ask him how many new K24's he has gone through. A new one will last a while, but I wouldn't waste my money.

If you want reliability and longevity, fit a brand new standard 19t. And you should get a good few years of track abuse out of it.
    It is only an opinion and the people you quote with bhp figures are again also allowed an opinion, bhp per £ I'd say the k24 is a much better bet. We all know you have spent lots on your s60r and other cars (all power to you) but brass tacks it's not proved currently it's more powerful than a k24 car with 1/4 of the money spent on it.

I personally haven't had k24 issues on any of the 4 cars which had it fitted, 3 of which were mapped and all by different companies. Also we aren't talking about a secondhand k24 as new are cheap £500 is not expensive for a new turbo, I've also owned mapped 19t cars, been in them and seen them on dyno's and all have been less powerful than the k24s on the day but that is my opinion.

As for a Dyno sheet I would love to see one to see how the improvements you have made worked out in a positive way.

To me (again this is my opinion) it seems that you have spent a lot of money with little reward bhp wise, you haven't dyno'd on a (number generator) and achieved more than bhp than a k24 mapped car with exhaust.

From what you've said iirc you must have spent £4-5k on the engine alone, to have 3 maps put on the car and not had it on a Dyno, where are you having the mapping done? Most places use dyno's as a diagnostic tool to see where and if alterations are needed.

If it was me I'd have it dyno'd and take your place on the bhp board, hopefully close to the top!

Isn't your running a Owens development 19t which isn't standard 19t. I had a conversation about the Owens development turbo at the vine with Scott (olive 850) who said he bought the prototype version and iirc was disappointed with its quality and build and longevity as it failed and it wasn't highly modified inside, but iirc he made 343 with meth inj, intercooler, exhaust etc, which is ok no idea what his spec exactly is but it's on the vt Facebook page iirc.

but then I have also heard Owens turbos are highly modified and have a 64mm compressor wheel and clipped blades from Shem, so you here differing opinions

As your signature pics says Chris "if it isn't broke don't fix it" which is the route I'd take hence the k24 gets my vote especially a new one.
    Last edited by Ettienne; Friday 3rd July 2015 at 13:29.

Thread Information