Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Which option for R engine

Hi everyone, looking for some help and advice please about an engine issue I currently have with my S60R.
    The car has been shimmed and is running a MTE stage 2 map with Ferrita downpipe, 3" custom catback, Snabb turbo to maf intake and VXR injectors.
    The car has a misfire on cylinder 3 at start up and it maybe losing a tiny amount of coolant?
    It has been compression tested, all ok, but failed the 'sniff' test. It is going to require the removal of the head to check if it may be the head gasket or a cracked liner. The cost is prohibitive just to do the check, so I am considering options in this order:
    1. Darton liners with a full rebuild.
    2. A late T5 2.4 engine.
    3. A replacement R engine.
    4. Head removal to check.
    Any advice on either the issues or options would be massively appreciated.
    Thanks

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Dart on liners not cheap and lots of work, cheapest option get a 2.4t5 shouldn't have problem again.

My 2.5r runs perfectly on a split liner that's been shimmed for last 7k miles, but I'd just fit a 2.4 if it goes again.

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    another option is to get a closed deck lid

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    2.4t5 is yr best choice

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I'd get a new R head and have it linered on build.

Best of both worlds, more expensive granted but well worth it if you're keeping the car. If you're going through that expense then I'd want an engine that's done less than 50k otherwise it's not worth it. May aswell buy a new head! Finding one with that low mileage will be very difficult. Getting a low mileage R engine will be almost impossible.

Or scrap the car for parts!!

At any cost you MUST remove the head to see if it is the gasket thou! Otherwise you'll never know and you could have a cheap fix.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 30th June 2015 at 09:36.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information