Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Just cos the got the
    power, don't mean you got the
    right"
    Thanks

Good Vs Bad cars

Its been a few years since I was in the Volvo loop, I am currently without a car, I have already had 2 850 T5's in the past and fancy another. Now, I have recently looked at a supposed 'good' example but as far I could see the guy was off his head askin the money he wanted for a nail. I do fancy another MANUAL estate but after seeing that particular example and looking at other adverts I am starting to wonder if there are any GOOD examples out there that Joe Public are selling, I know yourselves have top notch motors but "have the 850s reached a point in time where there are more bad ones than good ones that are being sold?", I know you will find the odd very bad example but am starting to worry that I might not find something that I like/am happy with: body first - running gear second. I am not after a minter at all, but looking around the old tin worm is starting to make its presence more known, do these 850s rot chassis wise? I know doors, tailgate and wings are getting common but I always thought body wise they were pretty good. As you can probably tell the one I looked at had 'issues'... I think I might end up going newer as good examples that require general tidying and fettling are getting rare...

Mark

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Ide say there's more ££££ters than good ones if it's a 850 you want and can wait ide personally wait until a forum member decided to sell theirs.
    As for rot tbh there not bad at all yes there are a few with rot but there the minority.
    Also if you can live with a auto james t5r has a nice one for sale all kitted out

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    At the end.of the day they are 20 year old motor's, unless you strike lucky and get an old family car that's been looked after which is very rare now the only other ones are enthusiast's and knacker's

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Have to echo what James said, also think prices are on the rise slightly with T5s.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Just saw one on Gumtree that looks decent for a 'bag of sand', Kent area:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volvo...er-/1119788040

"Just cos the got the
    right"
    Thanks
    thanks lads, yeah I know its either finding 'family owned' example or dropping on an enthusiast car, I suppose I should also added I quite like something to do so a kitted out one might be great but doesn't leave me much to do at the weekend. As for that advert, what car do you think I went and looked at? This is supposed to be clean. To quote the seller "this one doesn't suffer with lacquer peel like many of these" but forgot to tell me about the hole in the drivers arch/sill. A***hole

Appreciative
    Thanks
    There aren't many to choose from and it does look decent in the pictures, so I'd probably have wasted a viewing there as well!

"Just cos the got the
    right"
    Thanks
    Yeah but the trader is a liar, the first thing I asked was about rust, I suppose I should have said rot... Its also NOT leaking from the flywheel seal and lubricating the underneath...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    He states in the add that CD models were top specced, is that true? if so ill be ecstatic that i dont have a mid range model luxury and class for me it seems!

Jim
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post

A grand for that is big money could have something like this for 1350 tastefully modded

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

t5 pete (Tuesday 16th June 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Yep - Looks nice that one. Where is it advertised?

Ps - To the thread starter, I have one I'm very happy with so not looking to steal your buy

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    A grand for that is big money could have something like this for 1350 tastefully modded

Lost count how many times I've said this but people minds well just buy a decent car in the first place

Jim
    Thanks
    Yep - Looks nice that one. Where is it advertised?

Ps - To the thread starter, I have one I'm very happy with so not looking to steal your buy
    It's not advertised really its just one of mine that I might sell as i very rarely use it, koni adjustables, 16T, angled dp, cat.back, removable cat, mapped, refurbished Volans new tyres etc,

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    It looks lovely mate , you should sell it to me , I already have a C70 in that colour, it would make a perfect set..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Orca2 For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Tuesday 16th June 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    It's not advertised really its just one of mine that I might sell as i very rarely use it, koni adjustables, 16T, angled dp, cat.back, removable cat, mapped, refurbished Volans new tyres etc,
    It does look great - That will be snapped up as those mods are exactly what people would pursue, the price of these seems stronger now for good ones, what mileage?

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Finding a good one is getting harder in the current market, they are out there but they want silly money, Unfortunately according to the price guide T5s are going up in value ever so slightly, sub £1k cars are pretty much dogs, shining on the outside but with hidden issues. something listed with a small oil leak could cost hundreds to put right, i would personally spend a little more and and search for a good one, does it have to be a manual?? autos are very capable if you are never going near a track or 1/4 mile, look for one that has had all the mods done which make them more fun to drive, a good auto mapped correctly can see near 270 bhp if you want to impress your mates down the pub with figures.

Jim
    Thanks
    It does look great - That will be snapped up as those mods are exactly what people would pursue, the price of these seems stronger now for good ones, what mileage?
    About 191000 at a guess odometer stopped working 10k ago

Jim
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealevo View Post
    Finding a good one is getting harder in the current market, they are out there but they want silly money, Unfortunately according to the price guide T5s are going up in value ever so slightly, sub £1k cars are pretty much dogs, shining on the outside but with hidden issues. something listed with a small oil leak could cost hundreds to put right, i would personally spend a little more and and search for a good one, does it have to be a manual?? autos are very capable if you are never going near a track or 1/4 mile, look for one that has had all the mods done which make them more fun to drive, a good auto mapped correctly can see near 270 bhp if you want to impress your mates down the pub with figures.
    Yep 271 bhp on that automatic.

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks

I actually bought that car about 4 weeks ago on ebay for £500, was going to pass it on to the flying banana who was after a manual estate. Couldn't collect it in the end as I blew my back at work & haven't been able to drive since. The original owner didn't mention rust either, or anything major mechanically & sold it almost immediately. The new owner/trader is just trying to turn a quick buck it seems, without attending to anything on the car. Shame, it looked ok in the photos.

To the OP - I've got a white 855 T5, manual, full blue leather interior, 140k ish - will be up for sale in a little while, there's s project thread on here for what's been done so far. I'm behind schedule as I'm still laid up with a blown disc, but hopefully get the last few bits done in the next few weeks.

Cheers, morgan
    Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Wednesday 17th June 2015 at 17:36.

"Just cos the got the
    right"
    Thanks

What interior is in that? Sorry to a lot of people but can not do with the biscuit/tan interiors...

Its defo nice and if your SERIOUSLY considering getting rid I might be able to offer it a home...

Thread Information