Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Something went wrong at the aircon pump, smoke everywhere!

Driving back up from getting the dog microchipped, and noticed a burning smell, got about 2 miles up the road to a roundabout and smoke started piling out from under the bonnet, pulled over and popped the biggest just and it was belching out from around the aircon pulley. I'm assuming it's going to be clutch related or the pump has siezed. Then the belt snapped!

Problem is, I've got to drive from aberdeen to Preston on Tuesday an back up on Wednesday for a job interview to got back out to saudi.

Any body know if they did these without aircon? (Doubtful) but if they did would the belt off one of them fit? Or anybody else know of a quick repair I can do to get me going and get down the road and back.

Cheers everyone!
    2001 S60 T5

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    Driving back up from getting the dog microchipped, and noticed a burning smell, got about 2 miles up the road to a roundabout and smoke started piling out from under the bonnet, pulled over and popped the biggest just and it was belching out from around the aircon pulley. I'm assuming it's going to be clutch related or the pump has siezed. Then the belt snapped!

Problem is, I've got to drive from aberdeen to Preston on Tuesday an back up on Wednesday for a job interview to got back out to saudi.

Any body know if they did these without aircon? (Doubtful) but if they did would the belt off one of them fit? Or anybody else know of a quick repair I can do to get me going and get down the road and back.

Cheers everyone!
    sorry to here of your troubles, but you can get a short non-a/c belt, not sure whether you can fit it with the pump still in place though, worth a try or drop the pump off, it will probably have to come off anyway to repair/replace it to get your a/c working again

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That's handy!

I'll give volvo a ring now if they're open to see if I can get one tomorrow.

That's not an issue I'll just rip the pump out if needs be.

Going to try and work out wether it's the pump or the clutch that's gone. If it's the pump both the clutch is still fine I'll just chuck a new belt on and drive it without aircon. Then put a new pump on next weekend.
    2001 S60 T5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Turns out you can't get a shorter belt for P2's. And the clutch is siezed solid! Otherwise I would have put a new belt on and not used aircon!

Just my luck!
    2001 S60 T5

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    I had this happen on my V70 p2 and despite all the internet stories of belts that allow you to delete the air on pump. They do not exist.
    I bought a second hand aircon pump from an S80 the scrappyA sells them for about twenty quid there is no demand for them.
    I disconnected the electro clutch connector to stop the aircon clutch engaging and have had no problems ever since. I never use aircon anyway.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think that's going to be my plan of action.

But won't be able to get the pump in time, so trying to sort out borrowing me mum or dads car for Tuesday and Wednesday then get mine sorted when I'm back, then like you leave the electrical connection disconected untill I get mine re gassed!

Last time I had an interview to go out to Saudi I had car grief aswell! A driveshaft let go on the M6........but that was a saxo so it was to be expected. I ended up getting the job so hopefully it's history repeating! Haha
    2001 S60 T5

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Volvo actually sell a separate pulley that bolts on in place of the pump, but it costs 70 quid , the second hand pump was only Twenty quid.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Orca2 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 7th June 2015)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    I think that's going to be my plan of action.

But won't be able to get the pump in time, so trying to sort out borrowing me mum or dads car for Tuesday and Wednesday then get mine sorted when I'm back, then like you leave the electrical connection disconected untill I get mine re gassed!

Last time I had an interview to go out to Saudi I had car grief aswell! A driveshaft let go on the M6........but that was a saxo so it was to be expected. I ended up getting the job so hopefully it's history repeating! Haha
    It's a sign!! The volvo is telling you to avoid Saudi - not enough alcohol there

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not enough alcohol....... I've never drank as much in my life as I have over there!haha

All home brew mind, and if you go for it the next morning you feel like your recovering from an autopsy!

In other news, stripped the clutch down,

Looks as though the bearing has gone, got so hot that the insulation on the electromagnet has gone aswell and then made that short out.
    going to give the breakers near me a shout in the morning and if they want silly money I'll pick up a bearing from scots bearings and that at least will get it up and running to get me down the road and back!. Then worry about banging on a new pump and get it regassed next weekend or when I get time.

There's will be pics to follow.
    2001 S60 T5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Couple of pics.

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/padjy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/5027A08D-449F-436B-82F0-AA3E693C2DBA_zpszmqgybsa.jpg.html][/URL

Hopefully it will be back up and running tomorrow afternoon!
    2001 S60 T5

Thread Information