Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Help.....I'm in the S**T

Anybody can change the timing belt on a V70 T5 can't they? It's a piece of p**s isn't it?............Well I've managed to bugger it up.

I've just changed both belts, all the pulleys and the pump. Re-assembled everything and promptly got an engine warning light. Connected Vida/dice and it's telling me both camshafts low.

The camshafts as you know have timing marks on the outside of the pulleys which line up with the notches on the timing cover. I've also got white paint spots on the inside of the pulleys and corresponding white paint marks on the cam cover, but they are half a tooth out.

The Haynes manual says to use the ridge on the oil pump and the info on Vida says use the mark on the crankshaft pulley to line up with the tooth (for the want of a better description) on the crankcase.

Now this is the problem. The mark on the crank pulley and the ridge on the oil pump don't line up, they're half a tooth out. Also the white mark that has been painted on the crankcase, I assume for timing, doesn't help because the Vida drawing shows three crankcase teeth and I've actually got four.

It doesn't take a lot to see why I've got it wrong, does it?

Referring back to the error messages does "low" mean that the camshafts are too early or too late, with that information would it be possible to just release the belt tension and then jump the belt a tooth at a time, on the camshaft pulleys, till the timing is right.

There must be a lot of people out there who know more about T5's than I do, can you give me a clue because I don't want to miss Throckmorton on Saturday.

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian the PRAT

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    You have the correct belt kit ??, I'm no expert but afaik there are at least 2 different T5 ones, might be worth a double check, I was lucky mine all lined up prefect when I changed the one on my T-5R

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    what model year is it? I assume that this is ME7 with the VVT cam on the exhaust? Did you mark up the VVT cam - usually you'd mark it against the VVT solenoid with some liquid paper (before removing the timing belt). I also assume you locked the cams in the none pulley end?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi W D, yes there were two marks on top of the cam cover put on by Plod or other owner. It's VVT on both shafts, but don't understand what you mean by marking with reference to the solenoids. And you have just answered a big question. I didn't realise that you could lock the shafts at the non pulley end. Now I know where I should have put the very expensive lock tool kit (that stayed in it's case) because it had no bloody instructions. Oh well. I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks for the reply. Brian

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Without the locking kit you cannot set the VVT cam timing - especially if you have'em on both. I assume you didn't remove the pulleys from the cams? The cam pulleys are (or should be) spring loaded.

You'll need to take the strut brace off (including the top engine mount) to access the rear and remove the cam position sensors (I am not sure on). There is a cheapish kit available online for about 75 quid.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Dave, that makes things a lot clearer, and that's the set of lock tools that I've got.

Brian

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just a little update. With the aid of the video link that Dave supplied, and the fact that I've now got Vida working again, I think I can say there is light at the end of the tunnel.

By the end of this it will have been a brilliant learning experience.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billnbenT5 For This Useful Post:

Nealevo (Thursday 4th June 2015),Wobbly Dave (Thursday 4th June 2015)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    My top tip is to use liquid paper to mark the slots in the cam cover

Name:  Inlet Cam sprocket.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  332.4 KB
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 6th June 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    This is a final and successful update to my previous post. This is what I posted on the VOC forum.

Somebody posted this link.

Yes I had watched that video umteen times to make sure I was getting it right.

Wobbly Dave on "Volvo Performance Net", posted a video about using all of the lock tools.

https://youtu.be/o4uLvH151-c

It was at this point I realised that the first video made no mention that the VVT unit (Yellow) is actually free to move on the camshaft and if that happens you are then in deep doodah.

So I stripped the right hand side of the engine and locked the camshafts. Removed the starter motor and then locked the crankshaft. This was when I found out just how much was wrong.

In the video you notice that on the VVT unit the bolts are in the middle of the elongated slots, both of mine (twin VVT on a T5) were both at the left hand end of the slot. With the crankshaft locked against the inserted special tool, the paint mark on the crankcase was two teeth out, and the ridge on the oil pump line up directly with a projection specifically cast in the crankcase.

So now the engine is totally locked in the right place. I took the VVT's off and gave them a good clean, realigned the bolts in the middle of the slots, and then re-assembled with them biased fully clockwise with the timing marks in the top cover. Refitted both the belts, put back on everything that had come off.

Basically this job was a right pain in the arse to, the second video was an engine on a bench totally far from the real world.

But here's the bonus. For an engine that in theory was so far out of time it shouldn't have run it was fast. Now with it timed correctly and the VVT's running to their full potential it goes like BLEEDIN ROCKET.

Happy Bunny, you bet I am, and I've learnt so much. Once again thanks Dave.

Brian

13. The Following User Says Thank You to billnbenT5 For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 9th June 2015)

Thread Information