Join Today
    Just new

Thanks

buggered radiator

So recently had a small leak from the rad. Nothing major, or so I thought! Checked level at 1200 at work and all seemed okay so off I drive into Musselburgh town centre and hit traffic jams and upon reaching Tesco for my 4p off a litre another driver comes over and points out a small river flowing out from under the front. I say river but in reality it was like someone opened the hoover dam. I thank him for telling me when a voice comes over the forecourt pa system to inform me that I've just flooded pump 4. So I crawl round to the main car park and wander around the store to let it cool and get some medicinal juice for later and then put 3ltr of water back in to get on the road again. I make it to the by pass when the warning light comes on, I've done only 1.5 miles! But I'm stuck so have to crawl to haddington which is about 10 mile. By that time there's smoke coming from the exhaust and under the bonnet and there's a friendly police car behind me that when I pull into a layby stops to kindly inform me that my car is "emitting an alarming amount of smoke and I should get it checked but btw nice Volvo!" Cheers! Anyway I let it cool while a mate brings me water and then set off again, 500 yards later and I'm back on the by pass and the warning light comes back on! No where to stop for at least 17-19 miles until I get to Dunbar. Luckily no smoking until I just get to the Asda petrol station. Another walk around the store while it cools. What I thought was nice that no one offered any help except an American tourist in a discovery who wouldn't go away even though I was ready to kill at this point. Other fill and another 500 yards and the warnings back but I manage the extra 7 miles home. No I need to remove the rad to find the clearly massive hole and try bodge it as I'm working at 0600 tomorrow and since I live in the middle of nowhere I need to try something. I love my car but it knows how to annoy me lol.
    Sorry for the long winded story but better typing than finding really big hammer to kill the rad properly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to weagie For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Saturday 30th May 2015)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Sounds like a nightmare day mate. If the leak is in one of the columns you could try rolling it back on itself with long nosed pliers. You lose one element but it will hold water for a bit .
    If it is in the head or tail you have less chance . Good luck.

Just new

Thanks
    Cheers. I'm in the process of removing it so I can see what the damage is

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Aye not many will stop for you now, mate

PFS might deliver to where you are?

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to craigoodwood For This Useful Post:

weagie (Saturday 30th May 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Weagie,
    I have just replaced my radiator as altho' the core was ok the plastic ribbed bit ( technical eh? ) had cracks all the way down and was slowly getting worse , pretty much topping up every day.
    I went to my local GSF Car Parts here in Glasgow ( Pollokshaws Rd ) and they got 1 in for me next day at a really good price, better than PFV or Ebay. It's important also if yours is an Auto or Manual as well as AC as there's different ones. If your stuck ask for Billy at the branch on 01414334083 ( tell him Stephen Fergus recommended him ) as he was great and am pretty sure they have branches all over or can deliver.
    Hope that's some help,
    Steve

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Goldmember For This Useful Post:

weagie (Saturday 30th May 2015)

Just new

Thanks
    Awesome, I'm in Glasgow next weekend.

Thread Information