Join Today
    One Clean Volvo
    Thanks

Fitting Electric seats into non electric car

I should be collecting a set of R seats next weekend, i want to fit them in my non electric 1997 V70 neither seat is electric powered. Does anyone know how difficult doing this is? is anyone in the wiltshire area who could lend me a hand fitting them obviously cash,beer,tea &biscuits on offer
    Many thanks.
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    you'll be able to take the R seats off their subframes and viceversa then fit your manual subframes to the R seats, you could also fit the passenger side to drivers and have firmer bolsters for the important seat
    hardest part to seat change is getting the rear seat backs out the rest is pretty straight forward

3. The Following User Says Thank You to craigoodwood For This Useful Post:

500tie (Friday 22nd May 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 500tie View Post
    I should be collecting a set of R seats next weekend, i want to fit them in my non electric 1997 V70 neither seat is electric powered. Does anyone know how difficult doing this is? is anyone in the wiltshire area who could lend me a hand fitting them obviously cash,beer,tea &biscuits on offer
    Many thanks.
    I put electric seats in my old c70. Disconnect the battery first and leave it for 20 minutes, otherwise when you disconnect the air bag wires you will get a light on the dash come up. After I fitted mine they didn't work, as I needed to fit two fuses in the fuse box. Got these from Volvo, plugged them in and worked fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

500tie (Friday 22nd May 2015)

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigoodwood View Post
    you'll be able to take the R seats off their subframes and viceversa then fit your manual subframes to the R seats, you could also fit the passenger side to drivers and have firmer bolsters for the important seat
    hardest part to seat change is getting the rear seat backs out the rest is pretty straight forward
    I've heard the rear seat backs are a pain to remove even more so in mine as the drivers side doesn't fold the seat is stuck in the up posistion so I'm going to have to crack it open to find the internal mechanism before I even begin.

I hadn't even thought about putting them onto the manual runners to be honest, although I would like them to be electric I'll keep this in mind though should it not go to plan thanks mate
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 500tie For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 22nd May 2015)

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    I put electric seats in my old c70. Disconnect the battery first and leave it for 20 minutes, otherwise when you disconnect the air bag wires you will get a light on the dash come up. After I fitted mine they didn't work, as I needed to fit two fuses in the fuse box. Got these from Volvo, plugged them in and worked fine.
    Don't think it's that simple on my V mate as there is no wiring to plug it into I think I've got to fabricate a permanent live and Earth on the drivers side and a permenant live, Earth and a switched live on the passenger seat.
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    It's simple just connect an live and a earth there is a picture some where showing which connectors to connect to

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    This is on a 850 but same principle

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

500tie (Friday 22nd May 2015),craigoodwood (Friday 22nd May 2015)

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanks Pete I'm assuming there isn't much difference between the 850 and V70 seats then I know there isn't much difference with most things and I'm guessing that's just the drivers seat as the passenger side needs a switched live too apparently
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Yes that's correct the V70 seats don't have that black control box there but the connectors are the same and are at the front of the seats

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Just had a look under my current seats and there is a plug there but the drivers side and passenger side has different coloured wires there, also worth mentioning my current seats aren't heated either so it doesn't look like I can copy some other people guides I've seen. Once I get the seats I'll have a look for the connectors and I think I'm going to have to run fresh wires from the battery etc straight onto a spade and onto the set connector
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Personally ide have the live switched for the seats if not using the original loom also add a in line fuse for them ypu will be able to pick a switched live from under the dash

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    I think that's what I'm going to do Pete just wire a fresh power from under the dash with an in-line fuse and a fresh earth I'm hoping that the connectors I can see under my current seats will make the heated elements work in the new ones. On the passenger side I think I have to wire up a permenant live and switched live from what I've read.
    Last edited by 500tie; Saturday 23rd May 2015 at 07:55. Reason: Can't spell
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Just like to thank AcidicDavey for help getting the rear seats in and t5pete for the electric advice, after a little more digging around I've sorted it and got power cheers guys

Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 500tie For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Monday 1st June 2015),MIKESC70T5 (Monday 1st June 2015),t5 pete (Monday 1st June 2015)

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Nice one Sooty, that was quick!

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Having the odd drivers seat was annoying me especially after I had sat in the R seats, man those standard seats are flat. I also had a spare bit of time in the afternoon so I thought I'd give it a go
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

Thread Information