Join Today
    850 T5-R newbie
    Thanks

Brake Sets - T5-R

Looking into getting new disc and pads all round.

The fronts are severely warped.

Thinking of this lot;

Front Discs: http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...Path=52_54_792
    Rear Discs: http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...Path=52_56_801

Front Pads: http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=4579
    Rear Pads: http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=4589

Basically, all above Volvo Genuine parts.

Now, I've noticed that you can get bigger front discs 302mm.

Will my car allow this? Are the 280mm standard on the T5-R? Was it an option, or on the R only?

What do people think?
    Volvo 850 T5-R (Gul Yellow) 1994
    Manual - Saloon

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    I would go for the 302 upgrade
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    you just need the 302 carrier brackets ( getting rarer but still out there ), to mount your existing calipers onto and new 302 disc's obviously

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Your car already has the 302mm front upgrade Jamie

Surprised to here the fronts have warped as they where fine in my ownership...That said I sold the car almost 2 years ago.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

j@mie (Tuesday 12th May 2015)

850 T5-R newbie
    Thanks
    Well, bugger me Simon!

I haven't actually had a proper look into what's already on the car.

Yeah, the fronts are terrible. Quite bad to be honest.

I've got the another set of wheels for the car because at least two are buckled. I'm having them all reconditioned as we speak; I'll get some photos up soon.

What's on there at the moment then Simon? Do Volvo actually sell the 302mm? Can I get them from www.partsforvolvosonline.com
    Manual - Saloon

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j@mie View Post
    Well, bugger me Simon!

I haven't actually had a proper look into what's already on the car.

Yeah, the fronts are terrible. Quite bad to be honest.

I've got the another set of wheels for the car because at least two are buckled. I'm having them all reconditioned as we speak; I'll get some photos up soon.

What's on there at the moment then Simon? Do Volvo actually sell the 302mm? Can I get them from www.partsforvolvosonline.com
    Buckled wheels also?

Jesus its been through the wars a bit since I had it. I personally removed and refitted the tyres aswell as re-balanced them in 2013 and they where all nice and straight!

The Discs and pads are Pagid all-round, I replaced them all at the same time as-well as the OSR Brake Caliper. Again fine in my ownership or I would have removed them and had them replaced free of charge under warranty, The only vibration I got when braking was from the rear of the car but that was easily rectified by purchasing some Genuine Brake Pad shims from Volvo. Cured the problem instantly.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...-project/page4

You can buy the 302mm discs from Volvo if you are going Genuine, They where standard fitment on S70R's and P1 V70R's aswell as other models.

The place I would use and have used for many Genuine parts is FRF Swansea, Speak to Rufe or Simon as he is properly known. Tel: 01792 790066
    Last edited by bonelorry; Tuesday 12th May 2015 at 15:41.

850 T5-R newbie
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
    Buckled wheels also?

Jesus its been through the wars a bit since I had it. I personally removed and refitted the tyres aswell as re-balanced them in 2013 and they where all nice and straight!

The Discs and pads are Pagid all-round, I replaced them all at the same time as-well as the OSR Brake Caliper. Again fine in my ownership or I would have removed them and had them replaced free of charge under warranty, The only vibration I got when braking was from the rear of the car but that was easily rectified by purchasing some Genuine Brake Pad shims from Volvo. Cured the problem instantly.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...-project/page4

You can buy the 302mm discs from Volvo if you are going Genuine, They where standard fitment on S70R's and P1 V70R's aswell as other models.

The place I would use and have used for many Genuine parts is FRF Swansea, Speak to Rufe or Simon as he is properly known. Tel: 01792 790066
    Yep, when I brought the car it was the first thing I noticed.

On two of the wheels I had a load of counter-balance weights on the inside, which to me indicated something was wrong...when I got it on the ramp I spun the wheels and they have flat spots which indicate an impact of some sort.

I've actually hardly driven the car since having it; now we all make mistakes now and then...and can honestly say I haven't knocked it the slightest. This car is treated better than my Focus RS.

Another thing I'm going to look into is the gearbox...4th crunches. Going to get the synchros looked at next year. Starter motor is sometimes not releasing as well; going to get a recon one soon (exchange).

To be honest, all these little things are silly, but I enjoy every moment of it. It satisfaction that I know its been done.

Thanks for the contact also Simon at Volvo.

Photo below;

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  477.9 KB
    Manual - Saloon

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j@mie View Post
    Yep, when I brought the car it was the first thing I noticed.

On two of the wheels I had a load of counter-balance weights on the inside, which to me indicated something was wrong...when I got it on the ramp I spun the wheels and they have flat spots which indicate an impact of some sort.

I've actually hardly driven the car since having it; now we all make mistakes now and then...and can honestly say I haven't knocked it the slightest. This car is treated better than my Focus RS.

Another thing I'm going to look into is the gearbox...4th crunches. Going to get the synchros looked at next year. Starter motor is sometimes not releasing as well; going to get a recon one soon (exchange).

To be honest, all these little things are silly, but I enjoy every moment of it. It satisfaction that I know its been done.

Thanks for the contact also Simon at Volvo.
    The weights are packed together like that because of the 5 spoke design of the wheel, You cannot put the adhesive weight's on the outside and on the inside like a conventional alloy wheel design unless you fit the knock on type weights onto the outside lips of the wheel which would damage them and also ruin the looks. So all the weight is placed behind each of the spokes ideally in one place.

Having worked for Goodyear for 8 years I can confirm than Brand new Wheels and Brand new tyres can sometimes take considerable amounts of weight to properly balance! So this is not always an indication of a bent, Damaged or flat spotted wheel.

These where balanced on a Hunter GSP9200 which is one of the finest and most accurate wheel balancers, No flatspots or buckles when I fitted the tyres and balanced the wheels.

However as said this was nearly 2 years ago, It is possible some pot hole damage or whatever has occurred since then. It is easily done with the state of UK roads!

Anyway, Thought I would try and be helpful but reading that back looks like I am trying to explain myself for some unknown reason.

Time for me to keep my mouth shut from now on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

j@mie (Tuesday 12th May 2015)

850 T5-R newbie
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
    The weights are packed together like that because of the 5 spoke design of the wheel, You cannot put the adhesive weight's on the outside and on the inside like a conventional alloy wheel design unless you fit the knock on type weights onto the outside lips of the wheel which would damage them and also ruin the looks. So all the weight is placed behind each of the spokes ideally in one place.

Having worked for Goodyear for 8 years I can confirm than Brand new Wheels and Brand new tyres can sometimes take considerable amounts of weight to properly balance! So this is not always an indication of a bent, Damaged or flat spotted wheel.

These where balanced on a Hunter GSP9200 which is one of the finest and most accurate wheel balancers, No flatspots or buckles when I fitted the tyres and balanced the wheels.

However as said this was nearly 2 years ago, It is possible some pot hole damage or whatever has occurred since then. It is easily done with the state of UK roads!

Anyway, Thought I would try and be helpful but reading that back looks like I am trying to explain myself for some unknown reason.

Time for me to keep my mouth shut from now on.
    Blimey; you did make sure you did a good job...perhaps I should keep my mouth shut! hehe
    Manual - Saloon

Thread Information