Join Today
    Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts

Idles for 3-4 mins then stalls

I`ve fitted a 96 940 lpt engine and box into my 83 240.

It`s been starting and running fine for the last few weeks until today.
    When I turn the ignition on the fuel pumps run for a few seconds then stop, start the car and the fuel pumps start up. After about 3-4 mins the idle drops quickly and then stalls. Turn the ignition off then back on again and NO fuel pumps but if left for 3-4 mins with ignition switched off and restat the car the fuel pumps work but only for 3-4 mins then the car stalls with no fuel pumps. I`ve checked the white fuel pump relay and it is all ok it appears that something is timing out and shutting the fuel pumps/relay off. According to the wiring diagram the ecu grounds the fuel pump side of the relay so I`ve tried another ecu and the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks Rob

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Have you tried by passing the fuel pump relay just make 100% sure

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Have you tried by passing the fuel pump relay just make 100% sure
    I`ve had the thing apart and watched what it did when the car stalls, the fuel pump side of the relay drops out, tried shorting the contacts but the fuel pumps would run. Have spoken to Matt who has give me a few things to check tomorrow

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    First thing this morning start the car and wait for it to stall, didn`t take long about 2-3 mins. Checked for a spark coz the ignition module is known to fail and hadn`t nice big fat spark. The time of running was getting less and the time of waiting for the pumps to come back to life was getting longer. So I connected the fuel pumps to a fuse that was live when the idiot lights where on, Guess what car ran for 2-3 mins then stalled. This now ruled out the relay and pointed towards the main fuel pump. Removed the pump from the car and set up a little rig so I could run it pumping petrol, it ran for 30 mins no problem. So this is wierd, the pump will run fine off the car but not when on it. The only thing it could be is the connection on the fuel pump, these are the ones from a 240 which I`ve soldered into the wiring loom, so I cut them off and soldered the wires straight onto the pump terminals. Once the pump was refitted the car started up and ran for a good 15 mins, fingers crossed i`ve sorted the problem.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Nealevo (Sunday 3rd May 2015),Shinsplintz 101 (Sunday 3rd May 2015)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    At least it didn't cost much to fix other than being a pain.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    The only thing it could be is the connection on the fuel pump, these are the ones from a 240 which I`ve soldered into the wiring loom, so I cut them off and soldered the wires straight onto the pump terminals. Once the pump was refitted the car started up and ran for a good 15 mins, fingers crossed i`ve sorted the problem.

I hope you have sorted the problem Rob.....just a tip when soldering ( as i repair the old reel to reel tape recorders with pcb`s and all that etc)

People think that just because two wires are soldered that that is ok but the problem is the wires should touch before it is soldered!.......if there is a large gap and the wires are joined by a lump of solder then ok it will work but there is more resistance for the joint to overcome so that may be why the pump stops as its not getting the full wack of electric through the soldered joint...

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    more resistance for the joint to overcome so that may be why the pump stops as its not getting the full wack of electric through the soldered joint...
    The pump was cutting out with the standard volvo push on connectors. Seens soldering the leads directly onto the pump I`ve not had any problems

Thread Information