Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

That rings a bell

Hello everyone I new to owning a 2001 Volvo C70 2.0T cabriolet -about one month- and to this VPCUK forum. Now for some reason the warning alarm begins to ding shortly after lowering the top but no warning light comes on, however, it ceases after I've brought the car to a holt and then apply the hand brake, drive on and shortly there after starts again. Put the top back up and on completion of all movements the bell sounds and then remains silent.

I read one post on some form suggesting to another member thereof, that the removal of relay 204 up under the drivers side dashboard would stop the bell working, apparently it did.

Rather than jettisoning something that's working, or randomly pulling the car apart, I would prefer to locate the sensor or micro-switch that's energizing the bell when the top's down.

I've trawled the net looking for a workshop manual and or wiring diagram, with no luck. So any help would be much appreciated.

I live in Gwyendd it does rain...a lot and that's why we have green, green grass, but then when the sun does shine...well that's why I purchased a cabriolet.

Burgess

Volvo Mangler
    Thanks
    I was up amongst the relays swapping the intermittent wiper relay (L203) for a programmable one, and there isn't a lot of room in there at all. Nor can you properly see what you're doing.

L204 (blue, apparently) is next to it, in the top right of the relay box. You may well have to remove 203 to get to it (it's pink). You can just see it if you peer up in there with a torch.

I don't have a cabrio - I have a coupé - but I considered one, and read about this issue a few times; however, nobody seemed to have a definitive answer for fixing it other than remove the relay or hand Volvo wads of cash to diagnose it. In the end I decided Welsh mountain weather isn't ideal for parked cabrio hoods and I wouldn't take the risk.

Any access to an OBDII reader to see if any codes pop up? If you're near Porthmadog or Criccieth I could plug in a code reader next time Mrs Hound and I head for her caravan. In the meantime the relay is a comparatively simple, non-destructive and reversible fix. Good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hound For This Useful Post:

burgess (Thursday 23rd April 2015),c70geoff (Wednesday 22nd April 2015)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Welcome from a fellow C70 owner but a coupe. Hope you get your issue sorted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foammanmark For This Useful Post:

burgess (Thursday 23rd April 2015)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Hiya Burgess , the c70 softop is beeyootiful I bought a 2003 for my wife two years ago , the 2.0 lpt aint the fastest car in the world but it cruises beautifully, and it looks great with the roof down . Which isnt very often in Glasgow. Lol.
    It might be possible that someone will have a Vida code reader near you, I think it can read the roof module codes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orca2 For This Useful Post:

burgess (Thursday 23rd April 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Hound for the comprehensive reply. Yeah, I'll invest in a renovation kit and full car-cover quite soon. Thanks for the offer of plugging-in a code reader sounds good idea...I'll PM you when I find how to.

Regards Burgess

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Orca2.

I remember fish suppers in Glasgow back in the early 1970s. Our local chippie does very polite portions during the open season.

I've been without a car for a while and getting about on buses is ok, what with my bus-pass, but it's limiting. My thoughts turned to getting a mobility scooter, as a frustrated RC pilot did think of moving closer to one of the local clubs. One thing lead to another and well the C70 boot's large enough to fit a large RC helicopter into. An estate would be more accommodating...but it'll cost too much to keep lowering the roof.

Mr Hound has kindly offered to do a check with his OBDII diagnostic meter.

Regards Burgess

10. The Following User Says Thank You to burgess For This Useful Post:

Orca2 (Thursday 23rd April 2015)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Happy daze mate , I Nick Mrs Orcas car at the weekends when the sun shines, I have a V70 T5 all week and the C70 at the weekends . I am like a whale in Sh 1t

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Orca2 For This Useful Post:

burgess (Saturday 25th April 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Has anyone with a C70 cabriolet, used emanualonline.com?

It's difficult to assess how good their manuals are; to use the one for the C70, I would need to install a larger hard drive in my computer, to i) download the file and then, inflate it. No file size is given for the size of the down loaded file, and disk space needed to inflate the file, it would be so good if they'd sell the manuals in DVD format without having to do the big download first.

So very frustrating!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Doesn't the Haynes manual for the s and v70 also cover the c70?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

burgess (Thursday 7th May 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Welcome.
    Hope you get your issue orted for the great welsh summer. ahem.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

burgess (Thursday 7th May 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    Doesn't the Haynes manual for the s and v70 also cover the c70?
    Hello MIKESC70T5 and thanks your inquiry.

The Haynes 3573 manual covers S70, V70, & C70 1996 to 1999, but does not include anything for the cabriolet, and it's this data I need -would like to obtain; chasing down an electromechanical fault is so much easier with a schematic to consult and setting data.

Some have suggested pulling the relay and that would silence the bell, however, I would rather find the cause and remedy that.

With the hood down and when the bell starts, the words from the Beep, Beep song start running through my audio memory, beep, beep, beep, beep, his car went beep, beep, beep.

Hey buddy how do I this hood out of my left ear, beep, beep, this thing goes beep, beep, beep.

Burgess

19. The Following User Says Thank You to burgess For This Useful Post:

Orca2 (Thursday 7th May 2015)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Hope you get it sorted soon mate the summer is fast approaching , there is a big bright warm thing over Glasgow today... We are not sure what to call it as we have never seen anything like it before.
    Some of the braver girlies have actually removed their duffel coats , where will it all end.?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Biff

Yeah...summer arrives by installments around here...has to get round the mountains. A friend -now living in Portugal- reckons it never, never arrives. He was stationed at RAF Valley and say he remembers it being wet and warm and wet and cold. Today its glorious, the wind has blown itself out the sun is high and the sea is marine blue green...say that's Turquoise just like my C70 and I've had the hood down, and the bell kept silent...do u think it's got anything to do with ambient temperature lol.

The my nearest Volvo main dealer in on Anglesey at
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

Just glad we have phones now and no-longer need to write, if I had to, I'd just get in the car and go, go, go, in person.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well the bell problem seems to have resolved itself; thinking about what might cause it to malfunction:
    in the circuit there are
    #1 micro switches within the hood mechanism,
    #2hand brake,
    #3 window winding system

To lower/rase the hood,
    Hand brake has to be on
    Gearbox in neutral
    Engine running

Lowering:
    Windows drop
    stowage lid opens
    hood stows
    stowage lid closes
    windows rise
    bell sounds.

Raising:
    Windows drop
    stowage lid opens
    hood rises
    stowage lid closes
    windows rise
    bell sounds.

Therefore the problem would logically be associated with micro switches within the stowage area relative to the hood framework when in the stowed position.

All I now need is a good wind-free sunny day and flat ground to examen the mechanism.

Thread Information