Join Today

Thread: S60R misfire

This user has no status
    Thanks

S60R misfire

Hello all,
    Recently been experiencing an intermittent misfire, drove 200 miles on Wednesday night and it became more prevalent. Called the Volvo Assist mobile mechanic out yesterday, he checked the coil packs visually, and took the camshaft position sensor out and cleaned it with carburettor cleaner, fired it up, plugged the computer in and it showed an engine misfire which had been cleared. I took it round the block and it did seem better. He went off to his next job, and of course later it bloody well happened again. I spoke to the nearest dealership (Rybrook Warrington, what a useless bunch of *******) who quoted me £50 for a new sensor.

So, question is, is this the most likely culprit - should i just buy it and replace it, or buy the coil packs too? Got the return 200 mile journey on bank holiday bank holiday monday, don't fancy a poxy breakdown with missus and 6 year old in the back. Car is MY2006 with 57k on the clock and been properly maintained.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Nick0

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Hard to say, would get the codes read before investing in a sensor. If the codes point to the sensor then its worth replacing
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    unfortunately i don't have the time to get it to a garage to get codes checked, we are meant to be going back 200 miles on bank holiday monday...

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Find out which cylinder has the misfire, then swap coilpacks with a different cylinder, and see if the misfire moves with it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

wallace570 (Friday 3rd April 2015)

aint nobody got time for
    that.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Find out which cylinder has the misfire, then swap coilpacks with a different cylinder, and see if the misfire moves with it.
    or unplug then replug one at a time, you will know what one misfires when the tone doesn't change. when u put the foot down does it stutter then take off but with not full power?

This user has no status

Thanks
    On your car VIDA will register which cylinder is misfiring. I'd start there.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    On your car VIDA will register which cylinder is misfiring. I'd start there.
    My generic code reader gave me the code for which cylinder was misfiring, changed the coil pack, all was fine.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks all. Bought the poxy 50 quid sensor fitted it and it stuttered a few times on the 200 mile journey home tonight. Will it register anything in vida given that its an intermittent problem? Been suggested on another forum that plugs could be the culprit. Will check both the coil packs and plugs.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Why does everyone think that a misfire is always a coil?
    It could likely be a lazy or faulty fuel injector or a spark plug.

How much more more money are you gonna throw at, replacing sensors that don't need replacing?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    It could be faulty coil, spark plug, ht leads if fitted, low compression, faulty injectors or injector wiring, unmetered air intake through a cracked pipe after the maf, timing issue, camshaft or crankshaft position sensors. Maybe even the coolant temperature sensor. Vida will tell all. Saying that, I spent the past two weeks trying to diagnose a misfire on a Seat Ibiza. Turned out to be an ECU issue.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
    It could be faulty coil, spark plug, ht leads if fitted, low compression, faulty injectors or injector wiring, unmetered air intake through a cracked pipe after the maf, timing issue, camshaft or crankshaft position sensors. Maybe even the coolant temperature sensor. Vida will tell all. Saying that, I spent the past two weeks trying to diagnose a misfire on a Seat Ibiza. Turned out to be an ECU issue.
    Well said. (I couldn't be bothered to rattle them all off).

Nick, the first thing I'd do (other than VIDA diagnosis) is pull out and inspect your plugs....ALL of them!
    Mine developed a random misfire before I fixed my cracked IC issue and it was found to be the plugs. Chucked a new set in and the misfire totally went and the car drove much smoother. If there's any hint of fouling or they just look tired and worn, replace them. Especially if they've done 20k +.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 19th April 2015 at 09:40.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information