Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipod

This user has no status

Thanks

Question Ipod

Anyone tried using a Dension or similar IPOD docking system with the 850 "premier" sound system? I believe it plugs into the CD stacker plug.

Failing this, does anyone know which brand Volvo OEM'd for thier stereo's of this era? I suspect Clarion, but I supose it could be anything.

ta

This user has no status

Thanks
    Alpine, mainly.

If you want to hook up an Ipod cheaply, try using the iTrip, which broadcasts on an FM band and you just pick it up via the head unit reciever function. It's around £25-£30 but is unofficial, try eBay.

The range is short enough for you not to interfere with the FM frequencies in other vehicles, but good enough to put the ipod in the car anywhere.
    #

This user has no status

Thanks

Ipod

Thanks for that

I have an iTrip, but wanted the direct connection...

I might experement with the Alpine unit then...d'y'know if its i-Link? or pre i-Link?

Ta

Andrew
    This user has no status
    There is the i-link which works with some volvo stereos. There is also the i-linkFM which is like the i-trip but fully wires in for power, aeriel connections etc to make it much better quality and reliability. This is currently what I'm looking at installed by the car phone warehouse.

Ac.

This user has no status

Thanks

Ipod

Thanks for that

I have an iTrip, but wanted the direct connection...

I might experement with the Alpine unit then...d'y'know if its i-Link? or pre i-Link?

Ta

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    There is the i-link which works with some volvo stereos. There is also the i-linkFM which is like the i-trip but fully wires in for power, aeriel connections etc to make it much better quality and reliability. This is currently what I'm looking at installed by the car phone warehouse.

Ac.
    Its up to you but I can install it if you want, for far less than CW can do it for. In fact you could probably do it yourself.

The only problem i found when i installed my Denison kit was it doesnt come with a right angled bracket, so I had to source one myself.
    V40 T4

Apart from my dignity and self respect, I have nothing to lose

OTBC

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have the Denison system on my Sony head unit. I think on another thread Alpine have answered the the AI-net cable / adaptor is compliant, and as far as I am aware it uses the same technology (so you could get the Alpine Denison interface).

Have a search on ipod on here there must be loads of threads I think Ive stuck my oar in most of them! Theres a list of direct compliant units too.
    V40 T4

OTBC

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew

Ac.
    If your head unit is listed I would go for the iLink plus, which is uses the CD changer port.

The iLink FM still uses FM modulation to input the signal but is obviously hard wired.
    V40 T4

OTBC

This user has no status

Thanks
    ah..thanks for the feedback...although I think my dodgy recollection of technology and double posting of the same message has confused things.

When I said i-link, I meant AI-net...its been a while...

Trying to get IPOD into Stock Volvo stereo...is that the I-link thing you were referring to? If so, can i go carphone warehouse then?

I suspect though it won't give me the IPOD display on the head unit that the full Dension kit does, so I might be taking your advice and splashing out for an Alpine head unit...gives me some room for the Oil pressure and Turbo pressure gauges!!

You sound like you know a bit about Car stereos, so tell me have they successfully made something sound better than a 7939 yet? (yes it has been a while)

Ta

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Canary
    If your head unit is listed I would go for the iLink plus, which is uses the CD changer port.

The iLink FM still uses FM modulation to input the signal but is obviously hard wired.
    Yup currently not support (901)...

Ac.

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Get yourself a nice Alpine headunit and a KCA-420i Alpine-iPod adaptor and you wont regret it

You need a iPod ready radio or you wont be able to access your files

A wee pic of mine....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I spoke to Dension customer support about getting an ice>Link + for the SC-801 head unit in my 960. They told me that, although listed on their website, the unit isn't actually shipping yet - should be available sometime around Q1 of 2006.

So after reading a few posts on Swedespeed I took a chance on these guys:

http://www.usaspec.com/

Even including taxes, shipping etc it works out only a little more expensive than getting a CD changer (which my car doesn't have) - and I already have the iPod.

If Parcel Force get their act together the kit should be arriving tomorrow - it's been sitting in their West London depot for the best part of two weeks. If it does arrive I'll try to fit it over the weekend; I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

James

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks James

Very interested to find out...

I would prefer to use the standard head unit for now, but if not, I'll go for the over the top LCD screen based combo!!! Is that a DVD drive I see in the glovebox???

This user has no status

Thanks

Call yourself Scot's?

Frankly Fraz I'm dissapointed...given your avatar, I would have expected your sample shot would at least be playing something patriotic...

the 79th's farewell, Scootland the Brave, or possibly the proclaimers, but the Corrs? looks like your True celtic roots are showing thorugh...!

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Its the Coral ffs lol look at this pic, read the name lol the corrs pah!!!! hahahahahah

A have got Runrig on there, does that help lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Never 'erd of them...send me a link...looks like my eyes arn't as good as they were!

www.runrig.com then???

You a piper then?

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    A piper lol Your mad lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ah well, we can't all be perfect...I have a set that were played at Culloden if that means anything to ya??

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    lol na man a love bein Scottish coz we got a gorgeous country but as for gettin involved in history al leave that up to the story tellers lol as the guy in Trainspotting said "It's sh*te being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the £££££££g Earth. The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English. I don't. They're just w*nkers. We, on the other hand, are colonised by w*nkers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonised by. We're ruled by effete ££££££££s. It's a sh*te state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any £££££££g difference." Soooo true lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by david7
    ah..thanks for the feedback...although I think my dodgy recollection of technology and double posting of the same message has confused things.

When I said i-link, I meant AI-net...its been a while...

Trying to get IPOD into Stock Volvo stereo...is that the I-link thing you were referring to? If so, can i go carphone warehouse then?

I suspect though it won't give me the IPOD display on the head unit that the full Dension kit does, so I might be taking your advice and splashing out for an Alpine head unit...gives me some room for the Oil pressure and Turbo pressure gauges!!

You sound like you know a bit about Car stereos, so tell me have they successfully made something sound better than a 7939 yet? (yes it has been a while)

Ta
    No probs! I obviously dont know that much, whats a 7939?!

Cheers,

KC
    V40 T4

OTBC

Thread Information