Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Swede demon
    Thanks
    and from the top n such. and id need a straight line ala masking tape style to make sure they were both perfectly in line or my ocd would explode
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    From the side and below, you only need 2 measurements as if they line up with those 2 then they are lined up

I'm just the same, repainting my badges but on these newer ones the letters are all seperate, fun!

Swede demon
    Thanks
    oh jeez. no tah. i also got a set of the early early badges for these im tempted by. like these ones

The Scrapyard Saved 740

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Friday 10th April 2015)

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Oh I know the ones, didn't realise you could get 740 ones, thought they were only on the 60s?

Swede demon
    Thanks
    dunno. i got a GLE. Turbo. Intercooler from a scrapper here didnt have the engine in so couldnt tell nor the number badge jus saw these n they looked executive style! XD
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Love those head lights

Swede demon
    Thanks
    soon i shal have a set too to play with. and ill needa figure out how to get um working with RHD. hella do conversion lights to H4 bulbs that ill get to see off the old sealed beams as they are crap!

then the wiring will be a fun thing to do XD
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you can get replacement 6x4 headlamps from Hella just make sure they are RHD. It is the filter on the lense that determines if they are LHD or RHD. Although some you can just turn over or I have some round lights that rotate to change between L or RHD.

Looks like GTO ones are the same: http://evilempireperformance.co.uk/g...roducts_id=127

Swede demon
    Thanks
    yeah hella do some sets. a set for highs with H4. then a high/low light with directions also to take H4 bulbs so ill get that sorted for when they land in england. should give the battleship a nice lift from the old man volvo look to a more executive mean look!
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Looking good fella,, with regards to the badges, if you do want them black just take some 1200 sandpaper & rub them back, just finish off with a bit of 3000 or cutting compound to get them nice & glossy -

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Been a while so thought id update with some pretty pics from gaydon and the only other thing ive done to it so far that is my brand new headlight + windscreen wipers genuine from ovlov cause the old ones were ruined. waiting for my brakes to arrive to do those =)

Having just rolled in (Pic by acidic davey)

on the approach rode with my face of not a single damn was given (pics by mr stephen evans)

catching up with people n trying to figure out where my engine is in the engine bay

old and new together

shined up pretty good for just a quick wash (quick by my standards)

leading the pack. or is it slowing the pack up?

retro back lines. need to get some chrome 760 bits on it ASAP!

More talking n catching up. can just catch glympse of my shiny intake

Nice side on pic as the clouds decided "screw your day"

a pic showing the terrable 80's color match resprayed wing my car had when it was not even a year old

and as promiced. heres my genuine headlight wipers

and windscreen wipers brand new from sweden

gives them a nice updated look with the aerofoil

and the headlight ones

The Scrapyard Saved 740

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Hound (Saturday 25th April 2015),jamesy12345 (Saturday 25th April 2015),Shinsplintz 101 (Saturday 25th April 2015),t5 pete (Saturday 25th April 2015)

Volvo Mangler
    Thanks
    Looks terrific Husky!

Swede demon
    Thanks
    So its been a while so time for a update as quite a few small things have happened to the battleship. so first on the agenda was to sort the brakes. they were binding and making a ££££ing god awful squeaking noise and what i thought at the time was the source of my speed vibrations. get above 60 it started to rattle. my 850 did the exact same n seeing how it was a known issue figured it may be that

FPF swansea did me a great deal on the disks n rear pads (only volvo things i can still get!)

so ordered 3 outta 4 corner recon calipers (PFV didnt have the 4th =( sucky) new volvo pads and disks all round. hardware n such but no brake lines cause i was broke xD fitting the brakes was fairly straight forward. not being a terrably old/high milage car most things did come eventually! the fronts gave us a lil scare when the brake lines got stuck n started to round but grips n a hammer fixed that issue.

the handbrake was binding and stuck on one side that wasnt helping me issue either. turned out volvo hadnt lined up a pin in the factory that needs to be flush n was just catching. but a angle grinder sorted that out brilliantly as it didnt wanna shift and we adjusted the cables so now it actually works!

everything bolted up fine. i didnt have my front pads at this time so we sanded the glaze off them installed n went for a drive. came back to smoke POURING from the front brakes. but it hasnt done it since so i assume i was burning off high spots in my terrable sanding efforts and after another bleeding the pedal feels good n firm again so thats a thing

and now it stops but still the vibration continued. so i had the wheels balanced. and still the vibration occours so maybe prop, center bearing or axle?

i then also got my new cb all installed! i know i know why use cb. well a lot of my fur freinds use it. its good fun on long road trips and i installed it for just that. me n britishfoxy all the way to scotland to be at the funeral of one of our best freinds n the nicest guy you have ever met draelen who sadly. took his own life =( but anyway the install went perfect. the cb is JUST right for the lower din unit. i modified the back to be open to accomidate the cb and it sits on top of the relays.

the ariel is a stinger with a mag mount so i can take it off for the time being. and a moonraker ext speaker so i can hear whats going on kinda! signal is brilliant on the thing n rather crisp. i used the transmission tunnel bolts as a earth n the cig lighter as a power source and even with cb on and phone charging no electrical issues at all happy days =)

New brakes n hardware

Bendix sliding caliper thingy on this car

new ATE rears with the 38mm pistons

brake parts for the rebuild of the final side and handbrake shoes. just in case i needed them

all laid out =)

more bits for the car genuine volvo this time

new front disk

nice n shiny n new

new rear disk + drum

new hardware all round

already been painted from volvo so no faffing to be done here

new drum surface. handbrake shoes will need re-bedding in like but not hard to do

rear pads are genuine =)

small handbrake mechanism needed some freeing and was greased

installing the new rears on the car. went pretty smooth after the handbrake was free'd

Last edited by hemihusky; Monday 11th May 2015 at 21:27.
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    new rears all done =)

back up on the jacks

new fronts all done

almost done!

yeah these were jus a lil buggered

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Continued on

Heres the CB i bought for the battleship

this was the first mounting idea but didnt like it

ended up mounted like this

used the cb screws as they just reached n did the job well

wiring started here

my small moonraker EXT speaker as the built in speaker will be useless

modified din back

coax cable for the ariel. i needa hide it fully but for now that will do

ariel and aux wired in

springy stinger mounted

small over-view

CB earthing point

and it lives!

this needs a mount but bleh. later

moonraker mounted

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    and how it sits now

The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Well another small update like. after the VT lot dropped outta the holland trip i decided bugger it ill still go myself. i couldnt fix the vibration in time for the trip but figured i got breakdown cover. if its breaks it breaks dont it as im sorta past the point of caring about it for a moment. but i organised to go visit freinds for a weekend and just clear my head

with work life car n everything its been getting me really down recently (as some people know if you follow my facebook. i went slightly crazy) so thought holland may clear my head and if the fresh air dont. the hookah me n my freind smoked sure did! (Strawberry non tobaco hookak i could smoke for bloody hours) so off i set n the drive down was fairly un exiting. usual english motorway stuff got to dover with my phone just about dead (died as i came down the hill to dover luckily i knew where i was then) and then hit the traffic. **** me they were queing for this ferry!!! i just about got on n had a small chill out n some epic onboard fish n chips.

Heloooo france and off we went. going went fine and i found out with europe's 130kph motorway limits it was enough to balance the rattle out on the speed end! so barely noticed the issue. englands 70mph really rattles it to hell. but doing like 83 its fine. it was hot as hell in europe with no air con and then i hit antwerp. and solid traffic for about 2 hours took 3 hours 45 for a 2 hour drive usually! but every cloud n all that. i got to breda n thats where we flopped for a bit was a nice place tbh. friday was shopping for the essencials. some strong vodka. n some food. saturday ended up a full on games n hookah smoking day. we were gonna do something productive but that vanished.

and sunday we went to a comic con in nokke belgium right on the coast where i suited up a lil. drive to there was rather nice with leon on the tunes (tape deck adaptor yeaaaa buddy) and only after a good day suiting n entertaining people with my freinds i got told we were being paid for it too!!! so 70 euro richer we went out to a fancy resteraunt in bruge n i had a nice steak chips and on the way home i got a wave from a 240 driver old volvo freinds. and once home we did a photoshoot with spanners and my inflatable wolf mainly messing with cameras as ya do.

the 740 did really well on fuel doing about 400 miles to 50 quid n really cant whine at that!! it was comming home things went wrong drive back was fine and got to the port 2 hours early. DFDS was nice enough to put me on the 8am ferry rather than the 10 as there was plenty space so thumbs up to dfds. i also got stopped n searched by customs who found my suit hillarious and my volvo a nice car

but then in england just passing cambridge *BANG* rear tire blowout sent me sideways nearly into a ditch. funny they were michilins with MILES of tread n the pressures were ok when i set off. but whatever i got a full size spare. walked to a garage with it to get some air n then set off. and then next day *BANG* exact same thing on the spare wheel!!! ****s sake. so to the garage i went n had 2 of the cheapest **** things i could find put on to get me by untill new wheels time. ill burn these ditchfinders out before i get rid of um.

i also got a £108 fine from the dartford crossing from a crossing i did on the 1st of 2015 in the 850 when their website ****ed up n said "charge £0.00" so i couldnt pay anything! but ah well every cloud n all that im contesting it i aint paying that!

so overall its been a interesting few days. volvo clicked over 110,000 too so. thats a thing. i didnt take many pics as my phone was dead n i didnt bring my euro adaptor (derp)

at the services on the way down. CB setup n euro ready

Aaaaand traffic

Eventually got there

Boarding

nice bikes at dover

Seen this V40 in breda with funky wheels

Comic con in Belgium

one of my fav pics from the photoshoot

home from the trip rather mucky now

just a flat? no issues

oh bugger

The Scrapyard Saved 740

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Thursday 28th May 2015),jamesy12345 (Wednesday 27th May 2015)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Sounds like a fun trip out really ££££ news on the tyres you've got to be really careful with old ones.
    Lol ide of loved to see there faces when they found the fox suit in the car at customs

This user has no status

Thanks
    Woah I love this car! I'd love to get one as a daily driver and do as you have done by keeping it OEM, the R can be for the weekends

How good is it on fuel?

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Well MPG figures i aint bothered working out but i can say instantly it is a TONNE better on fuel than the T-5R was ill get some actual figures on my way to work soon. i know the 850 on a work run did about 21 ish if i was carefull. and about 28 on the motorway

(Also these are old updates im posting from other forums. my life dont shift this fast!)

Finally got around to washing all the euro crap off the car today n i will say it looks all nice cleaned up. this is its pre confuzzled fur con clean cause i always like to rollup looking flashy =P clean that includes. wheels cleaned with acidic wheel cleaner then jet wash off. then normal wheel cleaner. car snow foamed. all arches + under car cleaned. washed off. soaped n washed off lathered polished. glass polished (inside too) headlights + tailights n such polished. glass rainex'd wheel center caps polished. under bonnet clean of the engine n such. all re-blacked. interior leather care'd n vinyl care'd to perfection. carpets striped. boot cleaned. and most importantly. the air freshner installed

in total its about 4 hours cleaning my car but it looks like it just rolled off the factory line. also i found a little interesting thing i found the original pre delivery inspection for the car! and it was sold to our dorris. so once again this is a 1 owner car. its original reg used to be F999 rather than F511 and it was sold on the 4th of may 1989 so shes just turned 26 years old =) 110,000 miles later discounting the rattle its still going good.

Fully polished and re-blacked

Interior cleaned

Polished badges

Polished side on shot

Classic lines do have something about them

Oldschool shovel front

Did the rears too but they didnt need much to bring them back up good

and gave the rigals a wash

The Scrapyard Saved 740

24. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Thursday 28th May 2015)

Thread Information