Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

What's wrong with my stupid T5? ABS/STC/EML Lights again!

Hi everyone,

2001 S60 T5 with 140 odd k on the clocks

Parts replaced,
    Both front wheel bearings
    Both bottom ball joints
    Both driveshafts
    Both front drop links
    Abs pump and module swapped out for a known good one with matching numbers etc
    New battery.

Basically it started as something that was intermittent, after a run once the car was stopped and started back up again it would go away but now it's constant.

After disconecting the battery to clear everything

Ignition on, ABS light stays on.
    Set off, STC and engine light come on. ABS SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED and STC SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED in the display

Will skid and will light up when you boot it
    Occaisionally the brake light warning light comes up with the message BRAKE FAILURE SERVICE URGENT

turn the car off, come back to it ignition on ABS/EML lights on, start moving then STC light will come on same messages as above.

Once when the ignition was switched on the speedo hobbled about a bit up to about 20mph for a few seconds before the ABS pump madE a noise and the STC light, brake light and the brake failure message came up (ABS/EML already on)

And once had just driven about 10 miles, then turned the car off, turned it back on set off, lights stayed off.......looked down speedo was reading around 40 but was going quicker than that, ABS/STC lights came on and speedo pinged up to 70 witch I was doing

The last 2 have only happened the once

Checked all ABS sensors, all giving good resistance (970 at the front 1040 at the rear), swapped the front ones around and gave them a clean. Slight scores but nothing I'd class as major. Cleaned rear sensors

ABS rings were brand new with the shafts

Slight drag on the rear o/s brake but they do all work

After changing the ABS pump and module flushed brake fluid with dot 5.1 fluid

Had it scanned by Volvokid for codes and this was what was brought up

They cleared but at the time the problem was still intermittent so could probably be doing with running another scan.

Anybody had anything similar or can point me in another direction?
    MOT ran out because I couldn't get them sorted in time and Im waiting for an operation on my wrist so progress has been slow!lol

Hoping you guys have some idea or for the first time in 11 years I'm going to have to throw the towel in and chuck it into a main dealer.....or there's going to be a T5 for spares or repairs soon!

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping someone has had the same symptoms and know what was causing they're issues

Cheers
    2001 S60 T5

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Do those resistance values means 100% that the sensors are OK....what about checking the wiring to front sensors for poor connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Took both sensors off and gave them a good checking over, thought I was getting dodgy readings from one but it seemed like it was the way I was holding the probes on, that was the drivers side one, it's now on the passenger side and speedo is fine so I'm assuming it was my clumsy hands holding the probes on.
    2001 S60 T5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Anybody ever had a rear bearing go?

Just wondering if that could be the culprit. But not heard anything untoward from thhe back end? Just wondering if my rear brake sticking slightly isn't actualky the rear brake sticking but the wheel bearing letting go? Seeing as the abs ring for the rear from what I can see is in the rear bearing itself
    2001 S60 T5

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Are you sure it's not the DIM (drivers information module - dials) they are a know weakness & can throw all.sorts of weird & wonderful codes to the ecu. Just a thought - you could end up chasing a lot of non existent mechanical issues only to later find out the DIM is knackered. Good luck & if it helps I have a spare from a 2002 s60t5 knocking about somewhere if you need it. All the best, Morgan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

Bones (Wednesday 25th March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There was a code flashed up for dim when it was scanned.

If it's DIM does it not let everything still work but just bring up the lights?

Abs and traction control definateley aren't working.
    2001 S60 T5

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    No idea fella - might want to have a check on voc in the s60 section,,quite a bit of information on there about DIM defects. Might not be that mind, just thought it would be worth checking before pouring money down the drain chasing your own tail. Good luck,,Morgan

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers mate, I'll have a search round, been searching for all abs related stuff and faults and symptoms.

I'll have another poke about and check a few more things tomorrow and if I can't see anything obvious I'll give Volvokid another shout to see if he's free to scan it.

Once it's MOT'd and I've done my cam belt I thing I'm going to invest in VIDA/DICE etc.

One thing I've learnt since owning a Volvo is that they're complicated buggers!haha
    2001 S60 T5

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    P2 ones are! (complicated)

Here are some links to DIM info but I can't see symptoms that match yours...?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73695

http://www.volvotuning.net/topic/2258-dim-etm-repairs/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Bones (Wednesday 25th March 2015),Shinsplintz 101 (Monday 23rd March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Haha, I've wanted a P1 or an 850r since I was a kid....but her indoors says "they're not very pretty"

Done a fair bit of scouting about on DIM failure and the links you posted and reassuringly mine isn't showing the same symptoms. Touch wood mine must be one of the bulletproof ones! Everything works fine........everything works too well in fact!

Wish I wasn't stuck up in aberdeen or at least I'd be able to go and see Tim Williams and pick his brains!lol
    2001 S60 T5

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bones For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 23rd March 2015)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Any use...
    http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv.../t-112575.html

Were those codes after the pump/ECU/wheel sensors had been replaced? A few of them seem to indicate the sensors

Not sure if it works on the P2s, but on older stuff the wheel sensors will put out a low voltage as the wheel spins, might help with diagnostics

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=16782

You need a proper diagnostic for a good waveform test but the voltage output can be roughly checked by rotating the wheel at one rev per second and looking for a specified voltage (usually between 0.25 and 2.0 volts).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did try spinning the wheels but I'm reckoning the multimeter Ive borrowed isn't the greatest.

Found a knackered sensor on my merc that way.

They were before, after the pump and module was replaced, all lights were out until I pulled off down the road and then they came back on.

But where it mentions air gaps are critical. I wonder if the scoring on the sensors is too deep? And theyre not close enough to the reluctor rings? One is just a slight score about 2mm wide by 1 mm deep, and the other is about 3/4 of the sensor face and about 2mm deep. And with the new shafts having new rings on they're obviously not swollen up with rust behind them so the gap is bigger now.

Didn't think the tolerance would be that fine. Might pick up a couple of new sensors aswell. Just for peace of mind anyway.
    2001 S60 T5

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quick one,

Anybody know if the front ABS sensors are handed? Or have different part numbers for each side?

I know they don't look like they are but though it was worth a check first
    2001 S60 T5

This user has no status

Thanks
    Phone Brian Forbes stores at AC in Aberdeen and ask him the details you require e.g price etc.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmie For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers jimmie!

Always handy handy to get to know someone in a parts dept! Otherwise your just another big standard customer!

I'll give him a bell at lunchtime and tell him you sent me.
    2001 S60 T5

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    Hey Bones! I clicked on this link because I have issues with ABS on my P1 V70R that have been on going - I've replaced all the sensors, rings etc etc and still get the same faults. A Volvo main dealer even did a patch repair on the wiring from the NSF sensor but that has failed too..... my next step is literally to replace the whole section of wiring up to the bulkhead as I am sure it is this that's causing my faults. That said, not sure it will be the same with you though.... but good luck!

In terms of identifying part numbers etc, I find this US site very, VERY useful..... and has prices in dollars which okay different to our UK prices but gives a general idea of cost

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/pr...57&searchTerm=

Hope this helps

WHY DOESN'T MY SIGNATURE WORK??? ...IT DOES NOW! :-)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MA'R'K For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That's not sounding good for you mark, hope you get to the bottom of yours sharpish. I know how frustrating it is!

Looks like I'm finally at the bottom of mine!
    One of the lads at work used to have his own garage, and he's got a monster of a code reader that will pickup volvo's (it's actually got a volvo specific setting)

Ran the codes and it brought up

0012- left front abs sensor faulty signal
    0021- right abs sensor faulty signal
    0022- right abs signal faulty signal
    510f- vehicle speed signal low
    9300 clutch position sensor (already knew about that one....cruise control doesent work)

Swapped my abs sensors round last week to see if that would cure the lights and it hadn't

Cleared the codes. Spun it round the car park to bring the lights back on re scanned and got the following

0021-right front abs sensor faulty signal
    510f- vehicle speed signal low
    And the clutch position sensor

So the abs sensor signal has obviously followed the duff sensor

Just goes to show that even though something can appear fine checking with a multimeter it's not always a perfect guarantee that it's working!
    Picking up a new sensor tommorow and fingers, toes, eyes and any other part of my anatomy that can be crossed or tied in a knot to hope this is the end of it all!

I let you all know how I get on! Feeling hopeful anyway!
    2001 S60 T5

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bones For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 25th March 2015),MA'R'K (Thursday 26th March 2015)

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    It's all fine Bones.... even with the ABS playing up, my AP Racing brakes are sufficient Just really annoying at slow speeds sometimes when it has a hissy fit!

I have the official Volvo Autodiagnos equipment which picks everything up (only pre ME7 cars though). Even with the best gear tho, it can get confused when there's a break in the wiring. It will tell me that there are sensor failures, when really that's a red herring (all my sensors are newish and working fine), so don't always take those readings as gospel! I don't have to 'run' the codes either... as it is Volvo dealer equipment, all the codes are translated onto the screen

Did you have a look at the parts link? Save it in your favourites.... it will help you immeasurably!!!

WHY DOESN'T MY SIGNATURE WORK??? ...IT DOES NOW! :-)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MA'R'K For This Useful Post:

Bones (Thursday 26th March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    YAAAAAAASSSSSS!

Finally, abs sensor replaced and I now have no idiot lights on my dash! :-) well apart from a bulb out and my scooshers need filling up!

next investment is either Vida or a decent code reader! Bloody Volvo's!

I have Mark, I've got a bookmark on my home screen and no doubt it will be getting a fair bit of use over the next 12 months!

Anyway, Thankyou for everyone's input, I'm just glad it's finally over, it's been an emotional journey!haha
    2001 S60 T5

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bones For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Thursday 26th March 2015)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Good news, I'm happy your warning light free lol

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Thread Information