Join Today
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Question Data logging with VIDA

Calling all techy ppl.....

I tried data logging with VIDA today but I'll be totally honest, I didn't really know what I was doing!
    Trying to work out how to do it in VIDA took me 30 minutes.....

Once I found the options to select I decided to go for Intake air temp, Coolant temp, Ambient air temp and Boost pressure:

Can someone please tell me if I've done it right and also what I'm looking at please?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Dream3r does a data logging packages for 150 quid. I plan to get one when I am back up and running.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    It's a graph over time of the 4 different parameters you have selected, Lee

Horizontal axis is time - could be milliseconds or seconds, & the vertical axis is magnitude of whatever it is you are measuring:

Blue line is intake air temperature
    Green ambient air temp
    Black boost pressure
    Pink is coolant temp

temperatures in degrees C and pressure in kPa maybe? Hard to tell from pic

edit

it's in hPa...hectopascals which is the same as millibars - looks to be about 2550 / 2.55 bar absolute?
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Friday 13th March 2015 at 08:30.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Yeah, sorry about the pictures. I saved the image as jpeg and it came out smaller than I anticipated.

Basically, the graph represents 8 minutes of mixed driving with some very hard pulls in third gear up to 5000rpm. Whilst I understand what the graph means and what I see, I don't understand whether the readings are Good, Bad or normal?

I don't know what I'm expecting to see versus what I'm getting. If you know what I mean?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Yeah, sorry about the pictures. I saved the image as jpeg and it came out smaller than I anticipated.

Basically, the graph represents 8 minutes of mixed driving with some very hard pulls in third gear up to 5000rpm. Whilst I understand what the graph means and what I see, I don't understand whether the readings are Good, Bad or normal?

I don't know what I'm expecting to see versus what I'm getting. If you know what I mean?
    I can't see anything out of the ordinary...coolant temp max is 99 degrees C, ambient temp 11.6

intake air temp is low then spikes up a little with the boost...that must be your 3rd gear pulls

Max boost quite high? 2.55 bar absolute is about 1.54 bar gauge = just over 22 psi?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    I can't see anything out of the ordinary...coolant temp max is 99 degrees C, ambient temp 11.6

intake air temp is low then spikes up a little with the boost...that must be your 3rd gear pulls

Max boost quite high? 2.55 bar absolute is about 1.54 bar gauge = just over 22 psi?
    Oh yes! pulls much better since I adjusted the waste gate.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Friday 13th March 2015)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I can read graphs well enough (studied statistics in degree) but I'm guessing you will need to use this as a baseline to compare against for improvements. Pity you didn't find this before installing new intercooler, would have been good to have put a number on improvements.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    I can read graphs well enough (studied statistics in degree) but I'm guessing you will need to use this as a baseline to compare against for improvements. Pity you didn't find this before installing new intercooler, would have been good to have put a number on improvements.
    Exactly - in addition to comparing extreme values with other peeps', data logging very useful to compare the effect of mods you do to the car

Maybe you can save the data somehow, Lee, stick a date on it and revisit it later
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Friday 13th March 2015 at 09:45.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Are those numbers I see at the top left of the graph the absolute max readings over the 8 minutes?
    I think I need to do a basic VIDA course.....any takers?

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Are those numbers I see at the top left of the graph the absolute max readings over the 8 minutes? I think I need to do a basic VIDA course.....any takers?
    I assumed so, Lee, although I've never used it. Far too modern for me!
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Friday 13th March 2015 at 13:45.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The lack of recording in VIDA is a pain, plus it's limited, but fits a purpose.

The graphs are not the best either.

I can do bespoke datalogger packages for ME7 cars, any variable (rpm, maf, etc) available to the ECU I can get. (over 5000 if I remember right). I normally log around 55 when tuning my car.

http://www.ecm-tech.co.uk/product/vo...-base-package/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Friday 13th March 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just to add each one is bespoke written for the car so I need to read the car's ECU, either by post or with a DiCE unit/J2534 cable and laptop.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Friday 13th March 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    My car (MTE tune at the time) was 60 degrees c in 4th on boost, 16c outside iirc.

Torque seems to correctly report IAT for those interested, boost no though.

Thread Information