Join Today
    Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks

Exclamation Broken steering fluid cap

Morning all

I just checked my steering fluid level and the cap broke when I was putting it back on.

Part of the cap broke off and dropped into the header tank and now won't tighten, it's not the dipstick bit so I can only assume its the bit which actually grips under the lip of the tank spout.

Is it ok to drive without the cap on or does it need to be a sealed system?

Is the bit that broke off going to cause problems in the tank?

Cheers
    C70 2004 2.0 GT Auto

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Clamp the hoses to the reservoir.
    Suck out as much oil as you can using a big syringe....(about 500ml)
    Then remove the reservoir and see if you can shake out the broken bit.

I have a spare Reservoir cap you can have if you want? You just need to cover postage.

The bit that broke will not enter the pump as it will be too big. However, is it worth the risk? A new pump will cost you hundreds where as a new cap....
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Shevek (Tuesday 3rd March 2015)

This user has no status

American Free Colonies, (in the ignorant) state of Texas
    Thanks
    You should be able to reach it with needle nose pliers and pull the broken part out. I'd use good amounts of strong tape to keep the reservoir sealed while waiting for the new part or heading straight to the wreckers for another used one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reverend For This Useful Post:

Shevek (Tuesday 3rd March 2015)

Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks
    Cheers both!

Lee, whereabouts in Maidstone are you? I work in King's Hill...
    C70 2004 2.0 GT Auto

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    PM sent.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    If you bring your car to me, I will remove the reservoir and retrieve the broken part. Long nose pliers won't reach if its dropped to the bottom, plus you risk damaging the valve if you ram some pliers in there!

Obviously, I'll refill the reservoir and fit you a new (spare) cap.

I'll do all that for a pint of milk and a jar of coffee and some Jammy dodgems!

Beer is the mind-killer
    Thanks
    Awesome Lee! I'll give you a bell to arrange a time. Thanks!

What's your preferred coffee brand?
    C70 2004 2.0 GT Auto

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Good ole Nescafé is fine. Call me asap cos today is my last day off. Back to work tomorrow, but I'm around all day.

Thread Information