Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

302 brake issues

I went down the 302 route a month or so back as I'd cooked the standard stuff showing a 200sx a clean pair of heels lol, it had got to the point of squealing and then a groaning when coming to a stop when braking. So on went the new stuff, just standard discs and Pagid pads IIRC, I noticed the drivers side caliper didn't really want to retreat back into the caliper when I clamped it, so this might be the underlying issue with; the squealing/groaning has come back! Took the front right apart yesterday to have a look and it seems the disc has warped a little already, so my suspicions of a sticking caliper could be true? Checked the pads to be greeted with a lip on the outside edge, it literally sits just proud of the disc! This can't be right can it?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Really, no one?

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    It does sound as if you've got a sticking caliper, I had the same problem on my C70, the piston wouldn't push back far enough to even get the pads in, so you'll either have to rebuild your caliper, or buy a new (service exchange) one from a motor factors. (About £65 from eurocar parts when you take your old one back). I've never noticed a lip like that on any pads I've ever fitted, perhaps it wasn't seated properly.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Does look like your pads are not fitted properly or are the exact type for the disc?

If your alloy wheels get very hot even if not braking then it's a sticking caliper.

This user has no status

Thanks
    That's definitely a sign of a wing part there as it's normally the dish that lips not the pad.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    It does sound as if you've got a sticking caliper, I had the same problem on my C70, the piston wouldn't push back far enough to even get the pads in, so you'll either have to rebuild your caliper, or buy a new (service exchange) one from a motor factors. (About £65 from eurocar parts when you take your old one back). I've never noticed a lip like that on any pads I've ever fitted, perhaps it wasn't seated properly.
    It compressed eventually, but it was by no means smooth like the other side. That good to hear on the service exchange, was expecting it to be a bit pricier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    Does look like your pads are not fitted properly or are the exact type for the disc?

If your alloy wheels get very hot even if not braking then it's a sticking caliper.
    I got them both from PFV, pads stated for an 850 T5 although I can't remember what the disc stated.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTS View Post
    That's definitely a sign of a wing part there as it's normally the dish that lips not the pad.
    That was my thinking, I'm going to check the nearside this weekend and see if that's gone the same way.

To me, it can only sit where the anti-squeal thingies sit inside the piston itself? Am I right in thinking that?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've had similar issues with mine but have had flexi pipe failure as well where the pipe lining had collapsed not letting the fluid return quickly enough giving similar symptoms to calliper failure!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kyboy View Post
    I've had similar issues with mine but have had flexi pipe failure as well where the pipe lining had collapsed not letting the fluid return quickly enough giving similar symptoms to calliper failure!
    Interesting, they certainly didn't look in great condition! Might be worth sticking a set of braided lines in?

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Did you bed the new brakes in around 150-200miles? also are the new pads for 302 disc's as there are a few variations , tbh that looks like the pad is to large for the disc surface

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Did you bed the new brakes in around 150-200miles? also are the new pads for 302 disc's as there are a few variations , tbh that looks like the pad is to large for the disc surface
    Come to think about it I don't think I did, would that cause overheating issues?

I'll have to dig out the receipt and see, I'm 99% sure they were for 850s with 302 brakes.

Thread Information