Join Today
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Time for an update.

Sometime in January we were on our way back from a meal late at night, when all of a sudden the exhaust came apart and the car started sounding loud (it was pretty awesome). So we limped home as quietly as possible Next morning I made a trip to my mom's (where I keep my ramps), oh the noise was brilliant, pops and burbles hahaha (though it would drive you nuts on cruise). Turns out the clamp bolt had snapped (original bolt) on the joint above the rear axle and the two pipes had worked apart. So an new bolt was found and repair effected.

Then coronavirus happened and I got furloughed from work. This meant lots of time to spend doing things around the house....nah.

Got some good weather so changed the track rod end and the wishbone on the front N/S.

Finally got round to sorting the petrol flap lock motor (got sick of having to go in the boot and pull the little lever to open it as it would lock but not open). It just needed some lubrication, fortunately it is screwed together so easy to fix (compared to the glued together ones).

The rear N/S caliper had seized (found out on the motorway when the carr started to vibrate like mad). Closer inspection found the dust boot had been worn away (by the disc I think, bit of a design flaw or badly sized pattern part discs, the other side had wear in the same place). A new seal kit arrived and I eventually got the piston out due to all the crap that had gathered inside, got it all cleaned up and it's working great now.

Then I needed to replace the bushes on the gear linkage on the gearbox. After looking around for something to fit I opted to make my own. I measured up the linkage, designed a bush on Sketchup and printed some out using some polyurethane 3D printing filament:

I used the brass centre out of the old rubber bushes. They fit nice and snugly:

Currently I am relocating the data display so will post that once it's done.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 2nd September 2020),craigoodwood (Friday 1st May 2020),kmb (Monday 27th April 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I remember fitting new metal skateboard bearings and some washers to my MR2 Turbo linkages some years back, made a nice difference to the directness of the gearchange, I imagine this has done similar.

Not sure if all gear linkages are of similar dimensions so that such bearings would fit in our cars? Visually the parts look the same, but no idea how the sizes match up.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Oddly enough the MR2 bushes are the same size as the Volvo ones. I remember a mod was to use the solid brass bushes for an MR2. You can get the polyurethane bush for the MR2 as well (after a quick google search) but I made mine for a hell of a lot less than you can buy them for and I enjoyed doing it

Don't know about the difference yet as I haven't driven it (mainly due to the lockdown) but it feels better just operating with the engine off.

You been watching Mighty Car Mods with Marty's turbo MR2?
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Monday 27th April 2020 at 22:17.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

kmb (Friday 1st May 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Oddly enough the MR2 bushes are the same size as the Volvo ones. I remember a mod was to use the solid brass bushes for an MR2. You can get the polyurethane bush for the MR2 as well (after a quick google search) but I made mine for a hell of a lot less than you can buy them for and I enjoyed doing it

Don't know about the difference yet as I haven't driven it (mainly due to the lockdown) but it feels better just operating with the engine off.

You been watching Mighty Car Mods with Marty's turbo MR2?
    That's handy, I may have a spare pair of the MR2 roller bearing bushes, maybe I will fit to my C30 T5 (assuming they're the same) at some point!

I haven't been watching Mighty Car Mods MR2 Turbo, But I will now! Mine was a 96 Rev 2 in a very nice metallic blue, sold for only 3.5k 12 years back and only had 60k miles... DOH!

New Identity
    Thanks
    Another item off the list today.

The throttle cable (being original) was falling to bits and getting a bit stiff. Apparently you can no longer get a throttle cable for our cars (despite being used on different models over so many years), most suppliers I've looked at state it is discontinued (though I didn't try a Volvo dealer).

After seeing Al on the Skid Factory do a throttle cable how to I thought I'd have a go myself.

So I bought a universal throttle cable (teflon lined) kit off ebay.

Ripped out the old cable leaving the base in the bulkhead (as it can get damaged if you try to remove it meaning it can't be refitted).

The old cable was a bit knackered, the outer sheath was falling off and the teflon liner had been worn through in several places meaning eventually the inner cable would have broken. The cable snapped on my cousin's V70 a few years ago. To get home he taped the outer cable to what was left of the inner cable and drove with the improvised cable coming out of the bonnet and through the drivers window :S

The new cable outer was just a bit smaller than the original which meant it slipped into the base snugly

The kit comes with a few different end ferrules (if that is the correct term) one of which matched the throttle body end (which was nice) and another round one which fitted the pedal end (also a bonus).

I cut the outer cable to length, pushed the new cable through and added the original cable adjuster.

Then soldered on the end ferrule

And the job was complete

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Tuesday 5th May 2020 at 23:58.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

kmb (Wednesday 6th May 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Nicely done, might be worth sticking up the cable dimensions should anyone else wish to follow suit.
    Last edited by kmb; Wednesday 6th May 2020 at 18:54.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Sure, it was a 1.35m Venhill Throttle cable kit. Had to chop 14cm off the end of the outer cable to make it the same-ish length as the original and trim the inner cable to the right length with it all in place.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

kmb (Wednesday 6th May 2020),The Flying Moose (Tuesday 12th May 2020)

New Identity
    Thanks
    The Lockdown projects continue....

The position of the data display was bugging me. Being stuck in the vent it looked bodged and the white cable hanging down also looked terrible.

I tested the display in different positions around the dash finally settling on just in front of the clocks.

So I did some measuring of the LCD and designed a case.

I 3D printed the case and added the display and wiring (and some hot glue ). It has a cutout for use with an SD card (when I get around to coding the datalogging part). It still has the white cable though as I hadn't got any black cable.

Then added a couple of sticky pads to hold it down and pressed it into place. Routed the cable into the dash. The position is a compromise unfortunately as there really isn't anywhere that it fits without interfering with something (switches, clocks, vents, etc.). But it doesn't look too bad and doesn't block anything vital whilst still being visible.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Then I got hungry for something bigger.......

Browsing eBay I came across a guy breaking a V70. So I fired off a quick message to him and 2 days later these were delivered.

Yup, 5 coils, associated wiring and bolts.

The locking tab had snapped off one of the connectors. I browsed through the RS components website and found a replacement connector. Next day it turned up and I swapped it over.

Next on the list was to get some wire and pins for the ecu connector. So I bought five lots of 5m wire in various colours (to match the actual Volvo colour coding) and another 5m of heavier gauge wire for the power supply to the coils. I also bought several of the two types of pin used in the ecu connector.

The cylinder head already had the holes drilled and tapped for the coils to bolt down (the cam cover is from a later car so maybe got lucky). I cleaned the paint from around the holes so the coils could ground properly.

To get the power to the coils I pulled out the fuse box and disconnected the supply wire that goes to the old coil (after checking the wiring diagrams) and checked it with a multimeter to make sure I had the right one. The added in the heavy gauge wire.

This is where it got a little crazy as I decided to add it into the factory wiring loom which runs down to the ecu. I took apart the plastic conduit and removed the old insulation tape as it had gone brittle or unravelled over the years, routed the wire through taping it all back up. Whilst I was in there I added in the wires for the wideband sensor and the usb for the ecu as they were hanging loose coming from the passenger compartment and added some plastic conduit to protect them.

The wiring loom splits just by the ecu box (not easy to see), this also had some crumbling insulation tape on it so it was all removed. Whilst it was apart I removed the acceleration sensor wiring which was hanging loose behind the headlight (I was using this for the wideband input ground so was a mess of wires too).

The wideband wires were shortened and terminated with the proper ecu pin and added to the ground bunch (purple and blue).

Once all taped up with new tape and screwed down with the cable gland it looked a lot better and neater.

But that was only the first couple of feet of just the power supply and some tidying of wires. The next bit was to get the 5 signal wires and the power wire to the top of the engine.

So after a lot of twisting and pulling the entire engine wiring loom came out (bloody horrible job due to the various pipes down the front of the engine).

I went along the whole loom picking all the old tape off, adding in the new wires and taping it all back up.

Eventually I got the wires to the point where I wanted them to exit the loom (by the injector wires) and I bundled it all back into the engine bay (again it took quite a long time).

I was going to join the signal wires to the wires on the coil pack loom using some crimp connectors but the signal wires in the coil pack loom were a bit brittle so I chose to run the signal wires all the way to the coils. The coil loom was dismantled (also removed the VVT wiring as it wasn't needed). The power wire was joined to the point where the 5 power wires merge in the factory coil loom.

Then all the wires were laid out so it could all be cut to length and taped up.

New pins were crimped onto the signal wires (fortunately the same as the large ecu pins). The conduit was added and taped up and then everything was connected and the earths bolted down. I cut down the rubber bung that holds the wiring at the end of the head and zip tied it into position.

But what to do with the gaping hole left by removing the distributor cap?

Well, scan the bottom distributor cap into a computer, add the image into CAD, measure the angles of each mounting hole from a reference point, create a cover based on the angles and measurements of the distributor cap and you end up with this

Send it to the printer

Add some 20mm M5 allen bolts and you get a lovely (and very accurate) camshaft cover

That was the hardware pretty much complete.

Next was to add some resistors to the ecu board (as the ecu already has the circuitry for extra coils) and change the mapping to use the extra coils (did this by comparing a 960 ecu map with the V70 map along with information from the Volvospeed threads)

I plugged the ecu in, connected the battery and turned the key :S

It worked first bloody time! It hasn't been started for a few weeks (maybe longer, I've lost track of time) but it still fired up straight away.

Not bad considering I haven't left the house to get parts (or just left the house at all).

Anyway onto the next project....not sure what that will be though
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Friday 29th May 2020 at 01:13.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 2nd September 2020),kmb (Friday 29th May 2020),LeeT5 (Friday 29th May 2020),RollingThunder (Sunday 23rd August 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Very nice conversion!

old Volvos never die
    Thanks
    wow you went from distributor to single coil and worked without modifying the ECU? nice!

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pepinosport View Post
    wow you went from distributor to single coil and worked without modifying the ECU? nice!
    Not quite unfortunately...

The Motronic 4.4 ecu was also used on a 960/V/S90 which had 6 coil packs, so the circuitry is already on most M4.4 PCBs to control 6 coils, just some resistors are needed to add in the extra outputs (this was worked out by some people over on Volvospeed).

The software on the 960 coil version it loops through outputs 1,2,3,4,5,6 (coils 1,5,3,6,2,4 for correct firing order).

The distributor software version pulses only output 1 whenever spark is needed, then distributor sends it to the right cylinder.

So the distributor software version just needed modifying to loop through outputs 1 to 5 and connect each coil in the correct firing order (1,2,4,5,3)

I was really surprised it worked especially after dragging the entire engine loom out and ripping it apart.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 1st June 2020)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    wow....not been about for a while on here (not sure why really) but I'm impressed with your progress Dave, they are some superb modifictions, loving the cops mod. 3d printing really is a great step forward and so useful, I've been meaning to get into it for a while now.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    wow....not been about for a while on here (not sure why really) but I'm impressed with your progress Dave, they are some superb modifictions, loving the cops mod. 3d printing really is a great step forward and so useful, I've been meaning to get into it for a while now.
    Life gets in the way bud, then all of a sudden it's 12 months later and you wonder where that time went. It's good to hear from you.

Cheers mate It's kept me from going insane during these weird times.

Got a couple of things to add to it then maybe look at tuning it properly.

I managed to pick my 3d printer kit up for £80 and bought some upgrade parts for it which cost no more than £20. Looking on ebay, etc. I can't find it for that price any more (or anything like it), looks like I got it at the right time. You know where I am if you have any questions on getting started

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Life gets in the way bud, then all of a sudden it's 12 months later and you wonder where that time went. It's good to hear from you.

Cheers mate It's kept me from going insane during these weird times.

Got a couple of things to add to it then maybe look at tuning it properly.

I managed to pick my 3d printer kit up for £80 and bought some upgrade parts for it which cost no more than £20. Looking on ebay, etc. I can't find it for that price any more (or anything like it), looks like I got it at the right time. You know where I am if you have any questions on getting started
    Luckily it's not been that long but, some how furlough has kept me away from here, with gardening, landscaping or building projects mainly. Although Gul got some much needed attention and a post will be up soon, but not sure on the best way to get photo's into the thread now photof#cket and flickr have gone tits up on there users, got more project stuff underway but need access to larger machinery at work to progress so realistically months away at present till the madness settles down, hope you are all keeping well your end and look forward to a possible meet up when your able to travel this way in the near future, it could be and interesting time for possible small car meets with like minded volvo enthusiasts, see we hope to see you soon.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

New Identity
    Thanks
    The photo upload on here is better now, had a play with it and it should be working (was already working but not easy to figure out)

We should be coming your way soon! I'll let you know mate

And yes some small meets would be awesome

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    The photo upload on here is better now, had a play with it and it should be working (was already working but not easy to figure out)

We should be coming your way soon! I'll let you know mate

And yes some small meets would be awesome
    Let me know when you would be heading this way and we'll see what we can arrange

New Identity
    Thanks
    Just a little update.

Since I've been running the wideband control and the COP mod I haven't had very good fuel mileage (it wasn't great before but it's got worse). I just want happy with using the 608 binary which is meant for the 2.3 engine. There are too many different maps between the 2.3 and the 2.5 to ignore.

So I set about converting the 305 binary which is what the 850 awd had from the factory and is setup for the 2.5 engine.

First thing was to convert the 305 binary to run coil on plug as otherwise the engine wouldn't run. The code is quite simple and it worked first time without issue.

Then I extracted the code for just the data logging from the 608 binary which is very short once the map switching and xram streaming is removed.

I then applied it to the 305 binary, my goal was to get it working without having to remove any of the factory routines. It worked great and just needed a little tweak.

Next was to add the wideband control. This again is quite simple, just the addresses are different and need to be worked out.

Then I just copied the ignition and fuelling maps from my 608 binary and it's working.

Now for the best bit, I've gone from 26mpg on motorway cruise to 38mpg (using exactly the same fuelling/ignition map as I was in the 608).

Have yet to get a town driving comparison but it's got to be better than the 17mpg I was getting.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Thursday 20th August 2020 at 17:10.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    I get about 25mpg on short runs with the D5 gearbox, AWD and using the 2.3ltr 608 bin set up for 2.5ltr.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

New Identity
    Thanks
    That was the problem. Going to the wideband control and having leaner cruise fuelling I thought my mpg would increase but it just didn't.

Still got a lot of testing to do but so far it's looking good. I'm getting 34-35mpg on country roads with the occasional boot down for overtakes.

Thread Information