Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Thinking of modding the T4, opinions please!

Hi,

I've had my S40 T4 (ex judgeninja) for a few months now - it really was only going to be an interim car but I've gotten quite fond of it despite a few faults. I'm now at a decision point about whether to invest a fair bit in it or whether to go back to my comfort zone (BMWs, been hankering after a 328i Sport).

As it stands, it has more than enough power for the chassis and the handling is pretty shocking really, so I'd be spending money there first before thinking about more beans. So my plan would be as follows, and probably in the order below; any comments or experiences would be appreciated. Should say that this would be my daily driver and if I'm really lucky, I might get a track day in or two...

1. Tyres - ditchfinders at the moment which make it sound like a wheel bearing is going (common problem I understand).. I've had good experiences of Toyo Proxes T1Rs before, do they suit the S40? Also, 205/55/16 are considerably cheaper than the std fit 50 profile - am I really going to notice any difference?

2. Engine Mounts - when I accelerate hard in 1/2/3, there is an awful knocking/vibration sound which I reckon must be engine mounts shot and causing exhaust to touch somewhere. I see Powerflex do engine mounts for these, anyone got any opinion on them?

3. Strut braces - Evo 1/2/3 I gather is what I need, best to do these before uprated suspension

4. Springs/Shocks - I'd be looking for reasonable quality stuff here, sounds like H&R springs are well thought of, shocks are less clear though. Arent the Billie B4s just OEM spec? I'd be looking for something more uprated I think. Are Gaz coilovers available off the shelf or are they specials?

5. Bushes - is it worth doing poly bushes throughout on the basis that I'm using it every day? Never had a poly bushed car, sounds like a good idea but I do need to be able to live with it..

6. Brakes - understand that some Mitsi 4 pots are interchangeable but is it really worth it, or can uprated discs and pads be as effective?

7. Other chassis mods - is there anything I've missed that is worth doing?

Once this is all done, I might consider some power upgrades... so it currently has a BSR exhaust, which I assume is a reasonable performance item? Reason I ask is that it isn't very loud!! And if I do want extra power, is it up to the job?

8. Induction systems - any recommendations? It is all a bit quiet at the moment, would quite like a bit more turbo drama provided there was a performance benefit too..

9. Higher boost - is it right that adjusting the wastegate actuating rod can up the boost safely? I have a boost gauge already, its only about 0.7 bar at the moment.

Finally, with all this done, will I have a pretty capable car or shall I save myself the bother and get a 328 sport!!!

Lots of questions I know, but I look forward to hearing some opinions and comments..

Cheers,
    Pad

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    1. I've fitted Verdisteins to the V40. They seem to be pretty good.
    2. Probably the two lower bushes. Quite easy to do. I managed to snap the upper mount bcause the lower ones were shot on the V40.
    3. Yep EVO brace will fit fine.
    4. I've fitted cheapie cool overs. Crap on the road, but OK on the track. I think KW do a nicer set.
    5. Yep. Bit of research needed as I believe you need a combination of FTO and EVO bushes as powerflex can't be bothered to list a set for the V/S40s (although I think EBay sellers have done a few kits). I still need to do this.
    6. Again a job I want to do, but in the mean time fit DS2500s to the front. The set fits all phases no matter what the catalogue says (they are about 4mm narrower on the inner edge. You Can give them more abuse and get very little fade. About £120 a set.
    7. Rear brace also. In a saloon you won't loose much space. Probably other things for EVOs might fit.
    8. Some induction kits have shown lower power figures. But I've one on my V40, cos I'm a child!!!
    9. MBC and adjust the actuator, you can adjust the car up to the ECU boost limit (at the moment I can't remember what it is, but you'd soon find out.

Handling wise your comparing your very nice RWD to a FWD and they have different. The S40 won awards back in the 90s for handling.

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGENINJA For This Useful Post:

brightonpad (Saturday 28th February 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Wayne, very helpful... yeah, I know they will be 'different' but I just wanted to make sure that before I spend 2-3 times what the car is worth on it, that there will be something pretty capable afterwards

Car has been faultless by the way

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I had a big BMC CDA inclosed induction kit on my t4, with an aluminium intake pipe. You couldn't notice any difference over the pipercross panel filter, power wise, but it sounded bloody brilliant. Bare in mind that with an enclosed kit you will need a metallic intake pipe for the noise, as without the pipe it was pretty quiet.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just my 2p but I've heard that the Toyo's have a rather soft side wall and increases the profile would affect this more so. Just to keep that in mind.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxTS For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    good point.. I've always had them on light cars and they've been brilliant but the Volvo is a bit heavier than an MX5

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have them on the front of my S70R but with a lower 45 profile they seem great.

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brightonpad View Post
    Thanks Wayne, very helpful... yeah, I know they will be 'different' but I just wanted to make sure that before I spend 2-3 times what the car is worth on it, that there will be something pretty capable afterwards

Car has been faultless by the way
    That's good to hear....Volvos seem to be quite addictive...

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

Thread Information