Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Header Tank/Radiator Leak?

Just over the last couple of weeks i have been loosing water somewhere, when the car is cold the water in the header tank stays at the right level, actually the car has been parked up for 2 weeks at heathrow airport carpark as i have been in the USA on business, so i checked the level when i arrived to come home this morning and the level was still at max, the 60-70 mile drive home with car at right temperature, i checked the header tank when i arrived home and and the level is 1/2 way between max and min, and another short journey i am guaranteed i will have to top up as the low water level light will no doubt come on any ideas, i am guessing leak in pipework around header tank or radiator i guess?

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Could well be a leak, but it may be a split liner. Check for leaks first off, if you have no luck finding one, get a sniff test done to rule out a split liner.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryW View Post
    Just over the last couple of weeks i have been loosing water somewhere, when the car is cold the water in the header tank stays at the right level, actually the car has been parked up for 2 weeks at heathrow airport carpark as i have been in the USA on business, so i checked the level when i arrived to come home this morning and the level was still at max, the 60-70 mile drive home with car at right temperature, i checked the header tank when i arrived home and and the level is 1/2 way between max and min, and another short journey i am guaranteed i will have to top up as the low water level light will no doubt come on any ideas, i am guessing leak in pipework around header tank or radiator i guess?
    I did a sniff test on your car last time but when your passing......
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok, well S60R is in at volvo as on Saturday engine management light came on and stayed on, that with the water leaking from header tank when hot and working its way to the minimum line after 1 journey lead Volvo to think its the head gasket, but they need to do there diagnostic work and have it for the week while i have the wife's car. Hopefully its not, sniff test done showed definitely no issues a couple of months back. If its the head gasket, car will be parked up to sell, which is a shame given the work down with angle gear etc., and i will look into leasing for the business.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Ok, well S60R is in at volvo as on Saturday engine management light came on and stayed on, that with the water leaking from header tank when hot and working its way to the minimum line after 1 journey lead Volvo to think its the head gasket, but they need to do there diagnostic work and have it for the week while i have the wife's car. Hopefully its not, sniff test done showed definitely no issues a couple of months back. If its the head gasket, car will be parked up to sell, which is a shame given the work down with angle gear etc., and i will look into leasing for the business.
    PM sent.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    It's rare for the head gaskets to go on these, normally a liner goes first.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OK well feedback from Volvo today says its the head gasket, but they cannot say whether its the liners or head gasket unless they take the head off basically, well the price for Volvo to sought it £3-£4000.00. I will keep you posted on the events over the next weeks as i have some options thanks to Lee T5

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryW For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Thursday 5th March 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sounds very much like the problem I have with my 70 t5. On way home from work the coolant needed to be topped up (less than 20mile journey).

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    OK well feedback from Volvo today says its the head gasket, but they cannot say whether its the liners or head gasket unless they take the head off basically, well the price for Volvo to sought it £3-£4000.00. I will keep you posted on the events over the next weeks as i have some options thanks to Lee T5
    Told you it would be £3500 to fix!

It will be 99% liners mate and even if it is the head gasket, doesn't matter, the heads still gotta come off! So you know what to do, as discussed.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OK here's the update have spoken to a great chap called Tim Williams really good guy, upfront and honest and knowledgeable. Yes he can make a 500 repair, but the preference is to replace the engine, the thing is after our discussion it became apparent with the mileage I am doing things will only to continue to fail, and its 10 year old performance car so I have decided to bale out, before it starts costing me even more money, cause a new engine or repair won't stop there, Tim knows someone who would be interested in the car as is, I have to pay off a bit of finance on it as well as getting a another car likely to lease sensible if boring c250 Cdi merc.

Thread Information