Join Today
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: H.i.d. Bulbs

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I never said anything about 4300k being blue, nor 5000k's. The 6000k does have a blue halo but only really noticeable from a distance. 8000k is definitely blue!

Respect son, respect!

Knob!

Here's a picture of my Audi TT (stock 4300k) on the left and my V70R (5000k) on the right.
    You can see the difference in colour temp but only because the stock bulb appears more yellowish.

I didn't know you were a hairdresser Lee.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    I didn't know you were a hairdresser Lee.
    You'll be surprised at what I can do with a stanley knife!

Alas, the TT belongs to my missus and being as it's the 225 Quattro hardtop and not the girlie 180 fwd soft top....I reckon it's as far away from a hairdresser's car as possible mate, especially when I'm behind the wheel, giving it a good hiding!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Right, I've finally got around to taking some photos of both cars running the HID lights together, and then some of each car separately showing the difference between the two kits.

The S60 is running the more powerful 55W kit, 4300K H7R 'anti-glare' bulbs. The V70 is running a 35w kit with 6000K H7 (standard) HID bulbs. I've labelled the photos to make them more self-explanatory but the differences are obvious. The 4300K is still slightly blue in colour but not nearly as much as the 6000K kit. Considering the 55W is actually more powerful, there is evidently less 'glare' around the edge of the light source than the 6000K kit depsite it being 20W less powerful. The individual photos show this difference better; the standard HID bulbs are giving off more glare than the H7R cousin.

I've also done a picture of the H7R lights shining on a wall, the wall is actually slightly 'cream' coloured so the light colour will look false, the light optics, although not perfect, I assure you are considerably better than that of the standard H7 HID bulbs which look like a much bigger splodge of light by comparison.

Last edited by JamesT5; Saturday 28th February 2015 at 20:58. Reason: Added another photo.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

AAnickmac (Saturday 28th February 2015),jamesy12345 (Saturday 28th February 2015)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Nice photos...those H7Rs look better than I was expecting in terms of light scatter

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Sunday 1st March 2015)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    Nice photos...those H7Rs look better than I was expecting in terms of light scatter
    Most people say that. Until someone puts a photo up with a side-by-side comparison it's difficult to appreciate the difference and I can say from experience, that I don't get flashed any more with the H7R HID bulbs than I did with standard Halogen candles.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Bit of a pointless test you did there James with the two different light sets. Like comparing a Ferrari to a Fiat Panda!
    There are too many differences to say which is better than the other...One set is 55w whilst the other is 35w yet both sets are using different types of bulbs, different colour temps and different wattages!
    What exactly is it that your comparing?
    The other thing is neither light source produces a good beam pattern. they are not crisp or sharp with any defined pattern. Just looks like a massive splurge of intense white light to me. The last photo clearly shows massive amounts of light scatter too.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Bit of a pointless test you did there James with the two different light sets. Like comparing a Ferrari to a Fiat Panda!
    There are too many differences to say which is better than the other...One set is 55w whilst the other is 35w yet both sets are using different types of bulbs, different colour temps and different wattages!
    What exactly is it that your comparing?
    The other thing is neither light source produces a good beam pattern. they are not crisp or sharp with any defined pattern. Just looks like a massive splurge of intense white light to me. The last photo clearly shows massive amounts of light scatter too.
    But there again nothing that I do meets your standards so your cynical and condescending comments are hardly a surprise.

In practice the lights cut down massively on the dazzle which even the factory fitted HID units give out compared to halogen bulbs, and to be honest, I don't really care whether you like them or not; they do what they say on the tin and that's that.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    But there again nothing that I do meets your standards so your cynical and condescending comments are hardly a surprise.

In practice the lights cut down massively on the dazzle which even the factory fitted HID units give out compared to halogen bulbs, and to be honest, I don't really care whether you like them or not; they do what they say on the tin and that's that.
    .....Still a pointless test, regardless.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Sunday 1st March 2015)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    the 4300k's look pink, & no brighter than the 35w's. I'll stick with my normal's

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts

In practice the lights cut down massively on the dazzle which even the factory fitted HID units give out compared to halogen bulbs.
    Factoty fitted xenons are in the region of £1500. They are this sort of money because they are a massive improvement over halogen bulbs and they DO NOT have any dazzle. Mine are very crisp and do not dazzle anyone as they have auto adjusters built in. There is no adjustment dial in the car. All these after market kits are just that, just a kit with bright bulbs in them hence why you can pick them up for £35.
    Our 63 plate Golf has halogen bulbs and when I asked what the cost would be to fit the full xenon upgrade, which would mean, wiring harnesses, headlamps etc, not just some bulbs and ballasts I was quoted £2000.

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Are you saying that your eBay HIDs are better than stock HIDs? If you are, then you really are talking rubbish, as your pictures clearly demonstrate how bad after market HIDs can be when fitted to light units that are meant to house halogens.

Your obviously going to say they're good or better than oe lights because you've fitted them to your own cars and that's all well and good. Clearly your happy with them but it doesn't mean they will pass an mot. You may well not have been flashed yet either but despite what you say, the light output is atrocious (as we can see).

Your pictures would have been more interesting if you'd have shown two cars, one fitted with 35w, the other with 55w 6000k bulbs both with anti glare filters. Or both bulbs the same wattage one 4300k, the other 6000k.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts

Looks just like mine

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Monday 2nd March 2015),LeeT5 (Sunday 1st March 2015),MIKESC70T5 (Sunday 1st March 2015)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    The H7R bulbs are a massive improvement over the standard H7 HID's, mitigating against most of the unwanted glare and dazzle; something I still find with factory fitted HID's which are also just "bright bulbs" which use the same technology with a few tweaks to sharpen the edge of the light pattern.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    N
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Looks just like mine

Just goes to show how much better a proper xenon factory fitted option is over an aftermarket hid kit. Nice cut off and pure crisp light

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    The H7R bulbs are a massive improvement over the standard H7 HID's, mitigating against most of the unwanted glare and dazzle; something I still find with factory fitted HID's which are also just "bright bulbs" which use the same technology with a few tweaks to sharpen the edge of the light pattern.
    Really! You do talk utter shi te.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    N

Just goes to show how much better a proper xenon factory fitted option is over an aftermarket hid kit. Nice cut off and pure crisp light

No contest, but those lights new would cost more than what James V70 is worth today ( even fitted with hid's)

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    No contest, but those lights new would cost more than what James V70 is worth today ( even fitted with hid's)
    TBF mate, they would cost more than his V70, and S60 put together.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Monday 2nd March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Exactly no contest mate, but James thinks an aftermarket kit is just as good lol.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Really! You do talk utter shi te.
    Coming from a man with illegal number plates (wrong spacing) that the ANPR cameras will likely not recognise and will be an MOT failure. What do you do Lee, swap your number plates over for the test and then put the illegally spaced ones back on afterwards? Hypocrite.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    I see james has to have the last word yet again.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

26. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 2nd March 2015)

Thread Information