Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H.i.d. Bulbs

Southern AA patrol.
    Thanks

H.i.d. Bulbs

I see a lot of you have upgraded to HID bulbs. is there a good place to get them or is it ebay? what ones are the best to go for? was looking at upgrading my C70 headlights. but wanted to check see if there is a good supplier to use first.
    cheers
    1999 Volvo C70, 2.5T Auto.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I sourced mine from 'HID's 4U' a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems, though eBay is cheaper with a few members having bought them on there with no problems either.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

3. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

AAnickmac (Wednesday 25th February 2015)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    If you're using reflector lamp units, get bulbs ending with 'R' (e.g H7R) as they're fitted with anti-glare strips and cut out the 'glare' usually seen from standard HID bulbs around the bottom of the light cluster (this is actually what causes the 'dazzle' to other road users). I'm using them in the S60 and I can drive around with the MRA set at '0' without getting flashed. If on the other hand, you're fitting projector lamp units then standard HID bulbs are fine, in fact the 'R' bulbs are actually not recommended for projector units.

4300K will give you a very slight blue tint (I have these so I know), 5000K is slightly more blue but very pleasent (have these on my main beam). 6000K will look quite blue and 8000K onwards just looks plain chavy. There are also 3000K bulbs but they seem far less popular, owing mainly to their much yellower colour.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i've just got a bargain of a set off ebay, uk stock so only took 3 days delivery & only cost £13. They only seem to do 55w kits which i wouldn't recommend for dipped beam

7. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

looking to get MTE Map
    Thanks
    Got my replacement hid bulbs from hids4u a few weeks ago as original bulbs were 9 years old when one went
    Ex Police V70 T5 SE now scrapped.
    Daily driver V60 D3 R-design

2004 C70 2.4T GT, modifications front strut brace, 19" Peg reps with white lettered tires.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to expolicev70t5 For This Useful Post:

Southern AA patrol.
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll start trolling through eBay then.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    As mentioned above HID's & stock headlights shouldn't mix...

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    55W kits are fine, in fact with the 'R' appended bulbs I mentioned, you may need the extra wattage to combat some of the light loss. You see, the H7R bulbs cut the glare right down and as a consequence of that, you also lose some of the light output.

I've been running the H7R 4300K 55W bulbs on the S60 in standard lens housings and not had any issues apparently arising from glare or dazzle. I'll snap a picture at some point and show you how my lights look at night.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    55W kits are fine, in fact with the 'R' appended bulbs I mentioned, you may need the extra wattage to combat some of the light loss. You see, the H7R bulbs cut the glare right down and as a consequence of that, you also lose some of the light output.

I've been running the H7R 4300K 55W bulbs on the S60 in standard lens housings and not had any issues apparently arising from glare or dazzle. I'll snap a picture at some point and show you how my lights look at night.
    The guy in the video I posted shone them on a white garage door - you could see the light scattered much higher than dipped beam should be. I'd be interested to see if the H7R prevent this as I can't see much on the net about them....well nothing unbiased anyway

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AAnickmac View Post
    was looking at upgrading my C70 headlights.
    Are you looking at upgrading your headlight units, or just the bulbs?
    I have just bought from HID4U. 55w dipped and the guaranteed error free starters. And they actually are error free as well! Not cheap, but they are incredible compared to the crap stock items. Now the high beam looks ridiculous, so I may upgrade them as well.
    My units are projectors (dunno what yours are) and the light stability and control is excellent.
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    FYI Nick, 4300k bulbs are what's fitted stock on a stock V70R/S60R. I have 5000k bulbs, which give a pure white light with no blue halo. It's a good 'go between'.

Also, make sure you get the newer 'digital' ballasts not the thicker, older type. You'll know they are digital as they normally say and you can see they are quite a lot 'thinner' than the general ballast. expect to pay between £30 - £50 for a good quality kit. There are UK suppliers too as ordering from China will take weeks and are a right PITA if they don't work.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 26th February 2015 at 09:18.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

AAnickmac (Thursday 26th February 2015)

Southern AA patrol.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Are you looking at upgrading your headlight units, or just the bulbs?
    I have just bought from HID4U. 55w dipped and the guaranteed error free starters. And they actually are error free as well! Not cheap, but they are incredible compared to the crap stock items. Now the high beam looks ridiculous, so I may upgrade them as well.
    My units are projectors (dunno what yours are) and the light stability and control is excellent.
    was looking at upgrading bulbs. Looked at getting crystal headlights but well expensive.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    J

4300K will give you a very slight blue tint (I have these so I know), 5000K is slightly more blue but very pleasent (have these on my main beam). 6000K will look quite blue and 8000K onwards just looks plain chavy. There are also 3000K bulbs but they seem far less popular, owing mainly to their much yellower colour.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    FYI Nick, 4300k bulbs are what's fitted stock on a stock V70R/S60R. I have 5000k bulbs, which give a pure white light with no blue halo. It's a good 'go between'.
    Conflicting information

I've just fitted 6000k in my factory fitted xenon headlamps and they are pure white.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    J

Conflicting information

I've just fitted 6000k in my factory fitted xenon headlamps and they are pure white.
    I know who I believe.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    I know who I believe.
    James

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

stribo (Thursday 26th February 2015)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    James
    James is going to show us some photos.....not easy to capture on camera how they look in real life but anyway will see if H7Rs are working

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    6000K is what I have in the V70 and they look quite blue to me, definitely not pure white. If I look at my 4300K bulbs on the road surface there is a hint of blue but much yellower than 6000K, but if I look at them reflecting off a shop window or the back end of a white car they look blue-ish white.

You'll see exactly what I mean when I take the photos. In fact, I'll get some photos of the S60 and V70 together with the lights running, that way you can see the colour difference between 6000k and 4300K and then tell me none of them look blue in colour. It'll also allow you to compare the 'H7R' HID bulbs with that standard H7 HID bulbs because the V70 has the standard ones in, although they are 35W dipped and not 55W like those fitted on the S60. I think this comparison may actually be useful to someone.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    6000K is what I have in the V70 and they look quite blue to me, definitely not pure white. If I look at my 4300K bulbs on the road surface there is a hint of blue but much yellower than 6000K, but if I look at them reflecting off a shop window or the back end of a white car they look blue-ish white.

You'll see exactly what I mean when I take the photos. In fact, I'll get some photos of the S60 and V70 together with the lights running, that way you can see the colour difference between 6000k and 4300K and then tell me none of them look blue in colour. It'll also allow you to compare the 'H7R' HID bulbs with that standard H7 HID bulbs because the V70 has the standard ones in, although they are 35W dipped and not 55W like those fitted on the S60. I think this comparison may actually be useful to someone.
    colours can be subjective...

If you are in the mood for photos, James, pls get a shot of the H7Rs on dipped beam shining against a light vertical surface

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Monday 2nd March 2015)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    J

Conflicting information

I never said anything about 4300k being blue, nor 5000k's. The 6000k does have a blue halo but only really noticeable from a distance. 8000k is definitely blue!

Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    I know who I believe.
    Respect son, respect!

James
    Knob!

Here's a picture of my Audi TT (stock 4300k) on the left and my V70R (5000k) on the right.
    You can see the difference in colour temp but only because the stock bulb appears more yellowish.

2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

AAnickmac (Thursday 26th February 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    N[QUOTE=LeeT5;761049]I never said anything about 4300k being blue, nor 5000k's. The 6000k does have a blue halo but only really noticeable from a distance. 8000k is definitely blue!

Lee, I know you didn't, James did

Thread Information