Join Today
    Thanks

Spring gap on Eibachs vs Original springs

I'm going to get some Grayston spring assisters to raise the back of the car up a bit, I can't stand the stance of the Eibach springs, I prefer a bit nose down on 850's, the Eibachs leave the car almost a bit nose up!

Does anyone know if the spring gap (the gap between each coil in the middle of the spring) is massively different between the Eibachs and Standard rears?
    Forgotten what the thing looks like! Tuning taking a little longer than expected. Gonna be a belter when it's back though.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I cannot say whether they are different or not but the Eibach may very well be progressive springs over the normal springs so this may affect the stiffness so just be aware. Best way to tell is by looking at them you can see they have a tighter coil at one end and much looser at the rest.

Thanks
    Yeah they are progressive. What should I beware of? erratic behaviour with the Grayston things in or just that they won't fit?
    Forgotten what the thing looks like! Tuning taking a little longer than expected. Gonna be a belter when it's back though.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well, I think that it will make them a fair bit stiffer as you are effectively removing a coil. I could be wrong though.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Why not just fit standard springs at the rear?

Thanks
    Makes sense. I'll give it a go

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    It will change the handling with a firm front and soft arse (mmm). Probably nothing to worry about if you go steady

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

bunka T5 (Friday 6th March 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Why not just fit standard springs at the rear?
    I could do, but I do like the way the stiffereibachs handle, so not too worried about going even stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    It will change the handling with a firm front and soft arse (mmm). Probably nothing to worry about if you go steady
    Just how I like my women, the problem is, I don't go steady (driving the car).

I got ipd arbs, new bilstein - admittedly only b4's - all round and these eibachs. The intention is wolf in sheep frock. So the car needs to resemble the standard R it once was. At the moment the front is pretty much stock height, but the rear is too low.
    Last edited by Theador; Thursday 12th February 2015 at 12:58.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theador View Post
    I could do, but I do like the way the stiffereibachs handle, so not too worried about going even stiffer.

Just how I like my women, the problem is, I don't go steady (driving the car).

I got ipd arbs, new bilstein - admittedly only b4's - all round and these eibachs. The intention is wolf in sheep frock. So the car needs to resemble the standard R it once was. At the moment the front is pretty much stock height, but the rear is too low.
    that sounds like a pretty good set up tbh.......I noticed Yosser's car had Eibach's and Koni dampers, ride height looked OK at both ends

There are some rumours on the net that the Eibachs are not progressive...?

I remember it used to annoy the ££££ out of me if my Renault 5 was lowered too far at the back)) torsion bar rear end

Thanks
    Ha! Yeah, when I was younger, if the back went down too much, I'd just take the front down more. Sadly, I seem to be getting old...

I'm pretty sure the fronts are progressive (eibach), not entirely sure about the rears. It's not like it's dragging it's arse; with the slightly more squared arch on the rear, there's less gap in the arch compared with the front. I'd say the car is probably completely flat, which kind of makes it look like the back has been lowered more than the front. Anyway, I've ordered a set of the spring assisters, I'll put em in at the weekend and report back with before and after stance and handling.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    that sounds like a pretty good set up tbh.......I noticed Yosser's car had Eibach's and Koni dampers, ride height looked OK at both ends

There are some rumours on the net that the Eibachs are not progressive...?

I remember it used to annoy the ££££ out of me if my Renault 5 was lowered too far at the back)) torsion bar rear end

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theador View Post
    Ha! Yeah, when I was younger, if the back went down too much, I'd just take the front down more. Sadly, I seem to be getting old...

I'm pretty sure the fronts are progressive (eibach), not entirely sure about the rears. It's not like it's dragging it's arse; with the slightly more squared arch on the rear, there's less gap in the arch compared with the front. I'd say the car is probably completely flat, which kind of makes it look like the back has been lowered more than the front. Anyway, I've ordered a set of the spring assisters, I'll put em in at the weekend and report back with before and after stance and handling.
    it's always a compromise, even if you spend a fortune on coilovers.

A standard ARB at the front, with uprated one at the back is supposed to help improve turn-in/reduce understeer so maybe that combined with OE springs at the back end might work out OK. Or might feel weird!

Thanks
    Put in the spring asisters, I now have the desired slightly nose down stance. It's sharpened up the steering somewhat, although Shem has replaced my knackered steering rack at the same time so difficult to attribute. It's stiffened up the suspension quite a lot, was quite bumpy along the m40 in places. Basically the rear feels as stiff as the front now where before it felt slightly softer. I put the asisters as close to the bottom of the spring as possible so they're probably stiffening everything up more than if they were in the middle (just a hunch)

Thread Information