Join Today
    Swede demon
    Thanks

aux belt problems

Hey all. so i got a small problem with the aux belt on the 850 if anyone can help me. the tentioner started to grind with bearing failure so i ordered a new belt. tentioner. and pulley thinking why not replace everything while its off. installed both items fine BUT. when it came to put the belt back on the new volvo belt was nowhere close to going on even with the tentioner locked in its lil position with the pin tool it wouldn't go. the old belt is about 2 inch maybe more longer from stretch i presume. has anyone ran into this issue before? on the old tentioner i had tonnes of slack as i have removed that belt at least 4 times without this issue arrising.

even the old belt with the new tentioner was HELLISH tight going back on even in the pinned possition n had to be pushed on to get it over the P/S pump so should i maybe try streaching the new belt in a extreme hot water bucket bath. or wait for the tentioner to loose some of its strength?

the belt number is 946557 and as states is for a manual 850 with air conditioning as mine has.

the tentioner is 1275380

and the idler is 6842620.

im wondering if i needed the belt 9186352 as it says FWD A.C but nothing more. anyone got any ideas?
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sounds like you may have been supplied the wrong parts. I cannot check the numbers but that should not be the case.
    PS the de cat arrived this afternoon

Swede demon
    Thanks
    nice. but yeah thats the only thing i can think but we ordered all the bits off the vin number and engine number. so it should all match. scratching my head why my new belt is soo much shoter
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    think me n a freind kinda sussed it unless anyone here can tell me im wrong?

so my car has had a later 70 series tentioner on it. and idler pulley (all later model stuff) so therefor im guessing my new belt wont fit as the old style tentioners are differant. so im gonna order a 70 series belt n see if that fits at all. if not back to square 1
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Thread Information