Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Post Phase 3 cars....are they any better than the w**ky Phase 2s to live with?

As per title.

Serious question btw.
    Have been out a while now, How are these shaping up?

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Phase2 is the best

Are you referring to reliability?
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Phase2 is the best

Are you referring to reliability?
    I doubt that very much

Constant niggling issues mainly electrical, crap suspension parts, poor quality interior parts.....just general w**kyness

Keen to hear from actual Phase3 owners really, not "Phase2 is best" head in the sand types
    However thank you for taking the time and considerable effort to reply.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to y2blade For This Useful Post:

Santa (Wednesday 28th January 2015)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Hopefully you get some feed back on this one as ultimately a P3 will be my next car.
    Thanks
    Martyn

6. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

y2blade (Wednesday 28th January 2015)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Blackdog would be the man to speak to, I think he's on his 3rd now. BTW we haven't had any w***yness from our P2, but then we don't load it up with hay bales.

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    I'm curious as to why you're so down on the p2 when you seemed happy with the xc90. I imagine the xc90 is pretty comparable with a p2 build wise.

That said, p3's are getting more accessible and I'm also curious about them as I could potentially see one in my future.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    I'm curious as to why you're so down on the p2 when you seemed happy with the xc90. I imagine the xc90 is pretty comparable with a p2 build wise.

The XC90 was a gift horse!!!! of course I'd be "happy" with it, despite electric seats that move about overnight, auto wipers that were completely unpredictable, temperamental mirror folding motors, alarm that would go off without reason every now and then etc etc

btw My OH still has my old S60 D5, that has a much longer list of similarly annoying niggles that are to date untraceable not to mention it's appetite for droplinks (front and rear) and wheel bearings..... tbh it's just getting run unit it presents a big bill then it is off to the scrap yard in the sky.

In my experience P2s are disappointing for long term ownership and I can hand on heart say I'd not have another 2000-2007 Volvo even if it was FREE!!!!

I'd gladly have another 850 or P1 V70 though.
    I'm very interested to hear how the Phase 3 cars are getting on now they have been out a while.

ANY PHASE 3 OWNERS ON HERE????? I'd be genuinely interested to hear how your ownership experiences have been.

Thank you

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Ah right, I must have misconstrued "after three faultess years together" as being "happy".

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    Ah right, I must have misconstrued "after three faultess years together" as being "happy".

It never broke down, it never threw a big bill.

It was reliable, it was comfy and a joy to do miles in.

538 Nm on the old car. Now
    that was torquing!
    Thanks
    Yep. On my third D5 V70. Two autos and now a manual. Nothing major has happened to any of them just one sensor for the screen wash and a ball joint. One problem with a sat nav update but that was sorted. 40 mpg on the autos and 43 on the manual. Ask any specific questions that you may have and I will answer to the best of my knowledge. Drop me a pm if you want my number to have a chat and depending on where you are we could arrange for a meet up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackdog For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Excellent, thank you for replying I'd like to return to the brand sometime in the future.

that was torquing!
    Thanks
    When I bought the first one we tried a lot of others stuff but nothing compared to the build and comfort of the Volvo.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    When I bought the first one we tried a lot of others stuff but nothing compared to the build and comfort of the Volvo.

Comfort is what other brands are lacking in my experience, once you've spent time in Volvo seats you struggle to find anything that comes close.

that was torquing!
    Thanks
    Yep. We tried Vauxhall, Ford, Merc, BMW, Pug, Audi and Citroen. The Audi (A6) and BMW's (5 series) were too small for the dogs. The Merc (C class as the E is out of the budget) we just handed the keys back to the sales guy without a test drive, and the others we just got back in the Ph2 V70 we had at the time, and both thought why are we looking at anything else.

I did try the 2.0D four pot but thought it was too under powered. The D3 and D4 five pots are good from what I have driven as loaners (not V70's though) during services.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackdog For This Useful Post:

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    We bought / paid a deposit on a xc60 this morning and this afternoon got a call saying the car is no longer forsale and a refund.

They damaged the car before it was released, oh well I shall look for another.

that was torquing!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    We bought / paid a deposit on a xc60 this morning and this afternoon got a call saying the car is no longer forsale and a refund.

They damaged the car before it was released, oh well I shall look for another.
    If you are buying from a main dealer then I can strongly recommend Bells Volvo in Bedford. They are not the closest dealer to me but they are the nicest one of all the ones I have dealt with.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
    I doubt that very much

Constant niggling issues mainly electrical, crap suspension parts, poor quality interior parts.....just general w**kyness

Keen to hear from actual Phase3 owners really, not "Phase2 is best" head in the sand types
    However thank you for taking the time and considerable effort to reply.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I'm glad someone picked up on it.
    You'd expect better from our leader wouldn't you

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    If you are buying from a main dealer then I can strongly recommend Bells Volvo in Bedford. They are not the closest dealer to me but they are the nicest one of all the ones I have dealt with.
    Main dealer or Indy, not new but just looking around, my wife is a pita to buy a car for.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yep. We tried Vauxhall, Ford, Merc, BMW, Pug, Audi and Citroen. The Audi (A6) and BMW's (5 series) were too small for the dogs. The Merc (C class as the E is out of the budget) we just handed the keys back to the sales guy without a test drive, and the others we just got back in the Ph2 V70 we had at the time, and both thought why are we looking at anything else.

I did try the 2.0D four pot but thought it was too under powered. The D3 and D4 five pots are good from what I have driven as loaners (not V70's though) during services.
    Well.....that was the worst thing you did was hand the keys back with no test drive in the C class Merc.......

I have had 12 volvo`s with 5 of them turbo`s over about 29/30yrs....yes, i agree comfortable motors and after 300mls one can get out and think you have only been around the block!...but the Merc scores on a lot more than comfort, by the way it is not uncomfortable...... seeing as mine is the C320 CDI with 7gears auto and lowered sport suspension!...it is a cossetting fast ride when you want it to be and will out perform a V70 T5 in MPG also......

I said i would never ever own a 2000- Volvo of any model especially when they are designed to go wrong and give the owner big bills....i had a 2001 1.8 S40 phase 2 with VVT and the VVT went tits up twice in 80,000mls so `cos i bought it like it i sold it like it as i was not going to fund Ford/Volvo ....other problems as well,heater controls that go AWOL ....that was the last straw with Volvo`s...

Jamest5r bought my last Volvo the `97 V70 T5 and fast and furious with 24 mpg ....i can do that a lot quieter with my Merc and get almost 40mpg using the power and being RWD no problems with traction off the line with it`s 245 wide standard tyres.

Mercedes parts are cheaper compared with Volvo...£268 for TWO MAF`s (V6) including the plastic airway "Y" piece they fit into onto the airfilters...how much is a pucker Volvo MAF for ONE?

Just had my O2 sensor replaced and by an MB mechanic fitted £226.80p.

So go try a Mercedes again but this time drive it and see what you prefer....all galvanised body with stylish quality interior and all the gadgets if you want them...even a setting to move the passenger mirror down to the rear alloy wheel when reversing so you don`t spoil your expensive alloys on the kerb when reversing!.......Mercedes have it all, if you want it......and if you look around not at an expensive price either!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Thread Information