Join Today
    I Roll

Thanks

Steering noise during tight manoeuvres

Occasionally when I'm taking a tight turn at low speed, in a car park or turning in a particularly tight junction the steering makes a strange noise. Its a difficult noise to describe and doesn't sound mechanical like there are things interfering that shouldn't, its kind of a graunching noise, similar to when the ABS or TC kicks in (but pretty sure it isnt that).

It doesn't effect the weight or feeling of the steering at all and it still steers smoothly, no juddering or notches.

PAS fluid is up to the correct level, and it is red ATF fluid. My car is an early S60, MY2001, I believe ATF was still used in the early S60s.

Volvo Mangler
    Thanks
    I'm sure people will chime in with info about drop links and spring seats etc, but first, if it's anything like the C70, are the steering stops in need of grease?

I Roll

Thanks
    The drop links have been changed about 12 months ago with Meyle HD so they should be ok.

As for the spring seats and steering stops I don't know, have spoken to my local Indie who advised me the PAS fluid should indeed be green (or the colour of piss is how he delicately put it!).

Hopefully the red fluid hasn't done any damage, its been like that as long as I've had it (4 years).

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    My v40 did this so I flushed the fluid out and it went away
    Thanks
    Martyn

I Roll

Thanks
    For the price of a bottle of PAS fluid I'm considering just flushing it and refilling with fresh stuff. The only thing thats stopping me is if the seals and everything have been sat in ATF fluid for god knows how many years, how might they respond to the new fluid?

I Roll

Thanks
    So further on from this when I had a proper look the reservoir was leaking from the join in the centre so I replaced it along with the hose going to the PAS pump. I drained the fluid as best I could and replaced with the correct stuff and then drained and replaced again a week later to get rid of any remaining ATF.

The noise is still there though!

BUT it only happens when turning left and doesn't happen at all when the traction control is off! So it looks like a fault with the traction control, although it seems to work ok.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Ah!!! If it doesn't do it when TRACS is off, check your reluctor ring on the driveshaft isn't cracked. If it is, it will lift up slightly and when your on full lock, due to slight play in the CV and shaft bearings, it may be enough to cause the reluctor ring (more commonly known as ABS ring) may be touching the ABS sensor causing it to fire the pump. I had this before once on my old T5 estate years ago.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just put the wheels on lock and spray a good quantity of WD40 onto the springs seats and it should stop the noise.... do the other lock as well as the spring can turn and therefore you may get a dry part not lubricated......did mine once and it cured it.

I never needed to grease the steering stops on mine as i never hold fully on lock!....

I never had traction control but it didn`t make the noise every time it was just on a certain corner and always that corner when turning...
    Last edited by 960kg; Wednesday 28th January 2015 at 15:10.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

The old girl is a little rough
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garett View Post
    The drop links have been changed about 12 months ago with Meyle HD so they should be ok.

As for the spring seats and steering stops I don't know, have spoken to my local Indie who advised me the PAS fluid should indeed be green (or the colour of piss is how he delicately put it!).

Hopefully the red fluid hasn't done any damage, its been like that as long as I've had it (4 years).
    Ive never seen green atf/steering fluid before, anyhow, i think your mechanic needs to see a doctor asap.
    '04 S60 D5 163

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garett View Post
    Occasionally when I'm taking a tight turn at low speed, in a car park or turning in a particularly tight junction the steering makes a strange noise. Its a difficult noise to describe and doesn't sound mechanical like there are things interfering that shouldn't, its kind of a graunching noise, similar to when the ABS or TC kicks in (but pretty sure it isnt that).

It doesn't effect the weight or feeling of the steering at all and it still steers smoothly, no juddering or notches.

PAS fluid is up to the correct level, and it is red ATF fluid. My car is an early S60, MY2001, I believe ATF was still used in the early S60s.
    Your mechanic is right. The fluid should be green and is called LHM. It's a mineral oil - very different to synthetic.

Name:  $(KGrHqR,!k4E6FC+9WqTBOm!bo6mqQ~~60_58.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  45.0 KB
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    If you check the seal under the cap on the PAS reservoir, it should be green colour to match the fluid that's used......Volvo are nice like that... lol

Thread Information