Join Today

Thread: PAS pump?

Wierdly beardly

Thanks

PAS pump?

I think I know the answer but wanted to check before spending any money - my steering randomly goes heavier than usual then returns to normal. Sometimes its when cornering, sometimes its when doing lane changes, so small direction changes. I'm assuming its the pump that is starting to go? It doesn't seem to 'pulse', it just doesn't feel right... The fluid in the reservoir is always frothy too - its fresh fluid, changed when the rack was changed a few weeks back.

Car is a '98 V70R AWD

Thanks, Sam
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    got something similar on our v70r awd, but that is loosing fluid too, but has frothed up the oil when the reservoir was full, I'm assuming it to be knackered seals, but unsure whether its the ones in the pump or the ones in the rack, you can probably guarantee that I'll change the wrong one first and have to do the job twice.....
    Last edited by MoleT-5R; Monday 12th January 2015 at 08:38. Reason: can't spell

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Tuesday 13th January 2015)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Stupid question but are the PAS fluid levels correct & has the system been properly bled?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Tuesday 13th January 2015)

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Yeah, thats what I suspected Dave but its all correct

I've bitten the bullet and bought a new pump. I know I could have got a good used one, but its always a bit hit n miss with these - I've had low mileage ones fail so its cheaper to get a brand new one in the long run. Paid just over £100 for a Meyle one with 12m warranty which seemed a good price.

Mole - if you do need a new rack, give these guys a try - http://www.carparts-mansfield.co.uk/ had great service from them when I got my AWD rack.
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    got something similar on our v70r awd, but that is loosing fluid too, but has frothed up the oil when the reservoir was full, I'm assuming it to be knackered seals, but unsure whether its the ones in the pump or the ones in the rack, you can probably guarantee that I'll change the wrong one first and have to do the job twice.....
    Not quite sure what year this refers to but i believe it`s when the steering pump reservoir is separate on the inner wing next to the coolant tank!

If you take the cap off and look inside. If you can see the brass inlet pipe then the plastic coupling has fallen off. The cure is to hook it up from the bottom of the reservoir and re attach to the brass tube, you may have to pull off the inlet pipe to reposition the brass tube.

When this coupling falls off (very common occurence) the returning oil is sprayed around and froths up thus putting air in the pump and making noise.

With the coupling on the returning fluid exits below the surface......the frothing causes pressure build up in the reservoir and pushes the fluid out the breather in the cap.
    Last edited by 960kg; Tuesday 13th January 2015 at 16:19.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Tuesday 13th January 2015)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Not quite sure what year this refers to but i believe it`s when the steering pump reservoir is separate on the inner wing next to the coolant tank!

If you take the cap off and look inside. If you can see the brass inlet pipe then the plastic coupling has fallen off. The cure is to hook it up from the bottom of the reservoir and re attach to the brass tube, you may have to pull off the inlet pipe to reposition the brass tube.

When this coupling falls off (very common occurence) the returning oil is sprayed around and froths up thus putting air in the pump and making noise.

With the coupling on the returning fluid exits below the surface......the frothing causes pressure build up in the reservoir and pushes the fluid out the breather in the cap.
    Thanks, I hadn't got around to looking at the problem, as we haven't been using the car for the last 2 years, but from your description I think that hits the nail square on the head, should be a nice simple fix when I get to work on this car in February ready for it's return to the road.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thread Information