Join Today
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Howdy,

Fun day today, enjoyed my first bit of work on the car since I got it:

So bought an OEM PCV replacement kit from FRF Swansea (really good people and the chap who served me was so helpful)

Used all the kit, only difference is I bought a Victor Reinz gasket separately as the OEM one isn't victor reinz. The quality looks better on VR one compared to OEM.

Name:  IMG_5504.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  561.3 KB

Started stripping down.

Name:  IMG_5488.jpg
Size:  1.99 MB

Name:  IMG_5490.jpg
Size:  1.91 MB

Name:  IMG_5494.jpg
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  IMG_5496.jpg
Size:  1.63 MB

Name:  IMG_5498.jpg
Size:  1.91 MB

Name:  IMG_5499.jpg
Size:  1.86 MB

Name:  IMG_5502.jpg
Size:  1.88 MB

It wasn't too covered in gunk but it did have a little bit. Gave me an opportunity to clean the cam cover and engine block plus manifold, as best as possible.

Finished for today, will wrap up tomorrow!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to attila For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 28th October 2019)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Nice pictures, that's actually quite clear compared to some of the pictures I've seen and stories I've heard, but definitely can't hurt.

You're doing an ace job!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

attila (Monday 28th October 2019)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers, yes very clean. Well tested the glove again and its still blowing up albeit very slightly ! However I feel I can give it full beans now as I know the pcv is new.

However what I did notice was a split in one of the pcv pipes going to the ptc and the boost pipe at the back of the engine was loose. So now my revs hang less (but still hang slightly) and I hadn’t appreciated i had little boost until now. I reckon it was slackened when they were doing work on it for AC/timing belt as it had plenty of boost when I bought it but then been pootling around since being worried about PCV blocked.

Anyway, when I get my energy back I’ll have a look at the ptc and give it a clean and possibly replace the Idle Control Valve (or run it disconnected to check if that sorts my hanging revs) but again its really minimal compared to how others have described it.

The issue with working on your car is you start to spot things that could need doing! So next on my list is possibly a reverse intercooler pipe kit!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to attila For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 28th October 2019)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nothing new to report just been busy with work. Car is great enjoying the drives. Installed front a rear dash cams with hidden cables etc.

Probably do an oil change after christmas.

Wishing everyone a happy Christmas and thanks for all the help this year!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to attila For This Useful Post:

kmb (Friday 3rd January 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Glad to hear it's still being enjoyed! Happy New Year to you too.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    When you start working your car is when you really know what you need and what you have available with your car. I think having it in good condition is a guarantee that everything works well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WalterC For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 28th January 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Very true, same even goes for regular car cleaning/waxing to some extent.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi all,

I have a huge update coming with lots of pics, i just need to find a good website that can do picture upload. It’s been a heck of a busy period for the car! Updates include:

- full refurb and powder coated x5 volans now fitted (£750 with new tyres all round! Ouch)
    - 850r genuine front bumper now fitted took me a year to find (i will do a separate post on fibre glass reinforcing it from the inside as they are prone to cracking. Mine hadn’t but wanted a project)
    - new Ate front calipers and goodrich braided hoses all round (rears not fitted yet as struggling to source a brake pipe manifold).
    - new idle air control valve from Volvo (£250! Another ouch)
    - do88 reverse intercooler pipework. Purchased but not installed (£330 triple ouch!) can’t wait to fit this as the old stuff has perished.

One question I do have is around black plastic/bumper restorer. I have tried g-techniq c4 and it doesn’t look as good as the original black on the car when I first bought. Mitch or kmb must have used something that looked a lot better! Its also lasted a long time. I’ve sent a message to Mitch but kmb I was wondering if you remembered what you used to use?

Thanks a lot and can’t wait to put the photos up!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to attila For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 17th August 2020)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
    Hi all,

One question I do have is around black plastic/bumper restorer. I have tried g-techniq c4 and it doesn’t look as good as the original black on the car when I first bought. Mitch or kmb must have used something that looked a lot better! Its also lasted a long time. I’ve sent a message to Mitch but kmb I was wondering if you remembered what you used to use?
    That's probably because they where never black from new, the bumper tops were dark grey originally, C4 does bring those up lovely and lasts about 2 years in my experience, your bumpers have probably been blacked with Wurth bumper dye, which is often used to treat the bumpers but is a bit to black for my taste, but most like it and it does cover well from what I've seen on other cars, just got to be careful not to get a streaky finish, hopefully KMB or Mitch can confirm that soon.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 17th August 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
    Hi all,

I have a huge update coming with lots of pics, i just need to find a good website that can do picture upload. It’s been a heck of a busy period for the car! Updates include:

- full refurb and powder coated x5 volans now fitted (£750 with new tyres all round! Ouch)
    - 850r genuine front bumper now fitted took me a year to find (i will do a separate post on fibre glass reinforcing it from the inside as they are prone to cracking. Mine hadn’t but wanted a project)
    - new Ate front calipers and goodrich braided hoses all round (rears not fitted yet as struggling to source a brake pipe manifold).
    - new idle air control valve from Volvo (£250! Another ouch)
    - do88 reverse intercooler pipework. Purchased but not installed (£330 triple ouch!) can’t wait to fit this as the old stuff has perished.

Thanks a lot and can’t wait to put the photos up!
    Hello buddy and thanks for the update, you're clearly doing taking extremely good care of the car! Can't wait to see the pics also.

I used a very dark grey/black bumper dye called from eBay, it lasted a year when i applied it and I also gave it to my buddy Mitch when he bought the car from me. I thought it was called Plasticare but need to check back, I considered Wurth bumper dye but this was better value at the time. Apply in dabbing motion with a small piece of sponge.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    It WAS called Plasticare, found it mentioned in post #23 of this thread!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ah thank you! Should’ve checked myself! That’s great, I’ll get some and compare. I was really impressed with the way the bumpers/plastic was when I took the car. The C4 is very good stuff but on stuff that has gone too lighter grey its not that effective. Thanks again.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to attila For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 18th August 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    No probs at all, looking forward to the pics.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok photo album here goes:

Found a genuine 850R bumper:

[IMG]IMG_5673 by Will Mezz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sanded it all down but before painting I bought an epoxy resin and glass cloth kit from easy composites (https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/) really helpful guys who helped me choose the reinforcement material:

[IMG]IMG_0025 (1) by Will Mezz, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0324 by Will Mezz, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0328 by Will Mezz, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0027 (1) by Will Mezz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then a long prep and painting process (adhesion promoter, plastic primer, original OEM volvo spray cans plus 2K clear coat) plus aa lot of rubbing down!

[IMG]IMG_0013 by Will Mezz, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0026 by Will Mezz, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0027 by Will Mezz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then alloys (volans) got them on eBay about 9 months ago and got them powder coated and new boots. I got 5 with the thought of putting a spare but it doesn't fit. So its in the garage now.

IMG_0014 by Will Mezz, on Flickr

IMG_0031 by Will Mezz, on Flickr

IMG_0033 by Will Mezz, on Flickr

I'll do a separate photo update on the engine bits.
    Last edited by attila; Friday 21st August 2020 at 21:34. Reason: fixed pictures!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Engine updates:

New Idle Control Valve from Volvo:

IMG_0024 by Will Mezz, on Flickr

Then the do88 RIP Kit install:

IMG_0106 by Will Mezz, on Flickr

IMG_0108 by Will Mezz, on Flickr

The only issue I have now is the 'snorkel' going to the air box doesn't fit! I will either need to cut a bit of the do88 hose going to the inlet manifold or make a new one. I was getting a boost leak from the old hoses, one had perished so happy now.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to attila For This Useful Post:

kmb (Sunday 30th April 2023)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Brilliant work, visually it's exactly the changes I would have made to finish it off nicely. Volans and the front bumper. Perfect!

How does it run with the RIP kit installed and all the new parts? Any improvement?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thank you! Really pleased with it, and I keep giving it double takes on the drive.

In terms of the alloys and smaller rubber I was worried it would be a harder. I honestly can’t tell the difference. I went for 215 to protect the rims also.

In terms of RIP kit - again being honest, I can’t actually tell the difference! But then I had been driving for 2 months with quite a severe boost leak so its a huge improvement. I just can’t remember if its better than before. I also think not having the clean air intake fitted isn’t helping.

My next job is to install a digital boost gauge so i can keep a more accurate eye on it.

The thing that has made a huge difference is the new calipers and braided hoses at the front. I absolutely hate brakes that drag so even a small amount bothers me (its an OCD). So being able to watch it free wheel at stop lights when i lift off the brake is lovely (its the small things in life).

My next smaller jobs are:

Cut back the do88 pipe to allow the clean air intake back.
    Get rear braided hoses fitted now that I have found the rear brake manifold from a scrap yard.
    MOT

My next bigger jobs are:

Digital boost gauge (subtle possibly hidden)
    I have bought a full sunroof unit complete with head liner same colour in really good condition. Probably a job for next year!
    Remove rear inner wheel arch guards and apply POR (paint over rust)

Beyond that I don’t really know! I think I’d like more power but not sure. Will of course keep this updated!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to attila For This Useful Post:

kmb (Saturday 29th August 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Has to be one of the best ones out there now!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well it's been a while since I last updated. We moved house with a garage and it's been stored inside for the past 3 years and covered around 5k in total. Some bits that were done:

Introduced a forced induction air filter and scoop.

Name:  IMG_0737.jpg
Size:  145.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0738.jpg
Size:  163.5 KB

Then took it to a rolling road! Nice sunny day at Surrey Rolling Road!

Name:  IMG_1719.jpg
Size:  205.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2119.jpg
Size:  90.4 KB

The tester was quite impressed! A respectable 260 HP and a monster 310ftlb of torque (420NM) - he was quite impressed with the amount of torque. Stock power was 225hp and 221ftlb of torque so the M4.4 ECU has done its thing.

The forced induction mod I think really helped. The scoop replaces one of the horns, travels under the bonnet slam panels and goes straight into the airfilter.

Then onto the final job...abs module.
    Last edited by attila; Thursday 20th April 2023 at 21:12.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The final jobs on the list (apart from replacing the electric sunroof for which I bought an excellent condition whole unit) were:

Fuel tank vent hose - That job was done by K-Tech Basingstoke https://k-techautomotive.co.uk (thanks to Keith who is an absolute gem with these cars) Keith used to be a Volvo Main dealer technician at the time that these cars were new - and was recommended me by my AC man Brett from https://www.vehicools.co.uk who was also at the main dealer as a technician when these things were new! I use Brett for all my cars, but especially for this one.

All round braided hoses - goodridge braided hoses all round fitted by K-Tech again!

Radiator and AC condenser - Radiator replaced by Keith at and Condenser by Brett - excellent job by both.

Name:  IMG_2097.jpg
Size:  115.4 KB

ABS module - I had the typical dashboard lights, so I remove the module and had it fully resoldered and sealed at ECU testing https://www.ecutesting.com cost around £200.

Before sending it to them:
    Name:  IMG_2033.jpg
Size:  204.1 KB

Afterwards (note the tamper proof seal):

Name:  IMG_2091.jpg
Size:  89.1 KB

Now no more lights!

The sad thing is I think I need to pass it on to a new owner. I just don't have the time to enjoy it anymore since it's been garaged and work away from home more. The very last things I've yet to do:

- a few night-time instrumental cluster illumination lights (the ones towards the bottom of the cluster that show the clock)
    -Sun roof replacement - the one fitted works fine lifting and closing, but when retracts all the way back, struggles to fit back in. I have bought a complete replacement but don't have the heart to start undoing the roof!

Sad to see it go, cracking car and an absolute thrust machine going through the gears with that turbo boost!

Thread Information