Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V50 T5 advice

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Is NT and NS the same as NA then? James you love to piss people off.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Parts for Volvo's use the phrase 'Non Turbo' on their website, an example.....

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=5048

PFS parts are a well respected and reputable company who know what they're doing, so I think the use of the phrase "Non Turbo" abbreviated to "NT" is acceptable to the masses.
    They state non turbo which has nothing to do with your incorrect terminology of a normally aspirated engine. but we all know you will just keep arguing.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

3. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Sunday 28th December 2014)

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    The issue with "NT" referencing "non turbo" is that its not a recognisable acronym of anyone with any level of knowledge. It would be NA (meaning naturally (or normally) aspirated).

Also why compare the 2.4i to 2.4 T5 on a thread referencing a V50?

(Apologies to the OP for all this).
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    The reason partforvolvos use the term non-turbo is very simple, as many people who aren't into cars simply wouldn't know what N/A means. The term naturally aspirated could also cause confusion among people who aren't petrol heads. Where as non turbo, explains itself.

I haven't seen it anywhere abbreviated to NT as this would be just as confusing to "the masses" as N/A would be.

As an example, if was going to talk about quantum electro dynamics, on a physics forum i would simply put QED. But, generally speaking, i would call it quantum electro dynamics because if i did just put "QED" many people wouldn't have a clue what i was talking about.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's a good job I know that I'm after one with a turbo then as otherwise I could end up buying something live a V50 N/A,N/T,J/I,WTF and all that wouldn't look good on the boot
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux (Never to be missed in the car park)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WoodyWP For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 29th December 2014),Doingitsideways (Monday 29th December 2014),stribo (Monday 29th December 2014),The Flying Moose (Monday 29th December 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Come on Colin................ Just to confirm 2.4NT = 2.4 Non Turbo.

NA means - Not Available or Not Applicable in my language.
    Name:  mind-jesuswept.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  32.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    What's a 2.4NT?
    Wasn't it the precursor to the 2.4 XP model? Or is it the rare 2.4 "Non Towing" limited edition?

Also, are we talking about the NAWD (referred to as FWDO in some regions) model?
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Name:  mind-jesuswept.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  32.3 KB

Wasn't it the precursor to the 2.4 XP model? Or is it the rare 2.4 "Non Towing" limited edition?

Also, are we talking about the NAWD (referred to as FWDO in some regions) model?
    I'm currently running a 2.4 Vista model!

Also, traction is rubbish. I usually find OWD is my Volvo's preferred method

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyWP View Post
    It's a good job I know that I'm after one with a turbo then as otherwise I could end up buying something live a V50 N/A,N/T,J/I,WTF and all that wouldn't look good on the boot
    To get back on topic, don't bother with the 2.4 as its a waste of time. I'd be surprised if its noticeably better on fuel that the t5, while it would be a lot slower.

For performance go with the t5, mpg go with the d5, which could possibly be quicker than the 2.4 anyway.............definitely with a remap.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers Liam that was where I think I was heading.

Now the only problem is to find a good T5 without loads of miles around the 2008/9MY, oh well got a few days off so the search begins.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux (Never to be missed in the car park)

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    I bought a stock manual 2004 model nearly 4 years ago with about 116k on her since then I have had her tuned to 300 bhp and 350 lbft and she is now done 175k amazing still on the original clutch and turbo and the best volvo I have owned out of quite a few high performance models over the last 13 years! I haven't strengthened the liners And have had no issues I have abused the car carrying a large patio stones bags of cement and cement, the tiles for 2 kitchen floors a bathroom a utility a conservatory, 15 full size trees chopped up not to mention cement mixes and loads of other random stuff plus I have done 3 track days where she has been ragged all day long :-) . Apart from regular servicing stuff I have replace a faulty fuel pressure sensor a maf sensor and the odd coil pack which isn't bad given the mileage and age.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've just bought a manual S40 T5 to replace my V40 T4

The T5 feels slower than my old T4 which is annoying. I think I need a remap for the T5.
    The T5 is worse on fuel. I could get over 30 MPG out my T4, but the T5 sits at <24MPG
    The T5 feels and looks much more modern

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Good that we have the semantics sorted.

Back to the original enquiry. These smaller T5s are basically Focus STs in various posh frocks, sharing their Focus floorpan, suspension, manual gearbox(Volvo M66) and Volvo RNCT engine. The RNCT engine is quite different from all other 5 pot turbo engines in that it was designed to be more compact in all dimension to fit into the Focus and Volvos and meet all crash test criteria. The block is designed in such a way that all its ancillaries tuck closer in.

The RS engine has the very same block, not with cobalt liners but with its iron liners aluminium plasma coated on their outside to enable the fusion of those liners to the ally. mass of the block: that overcomes the weakness inherent in the ST/T5 engines in that they can crack their liners when subjected to quite a bit higher outputs.... in particular with poor unsympathetically written aftermarket software.

If increased engine outputs are tempting then a stage 1 software upgrade will give you arround 260bhp with 420nm of torque. If you choose a D5 which was never an option in the concurrent Focus you can get 225bhp and a stonking 480nm of torque with a software upgrade. The fairly rare 2.4D will give a similar figure to the D5.

If you do get an auto. then the AW box is very sound.

Don.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rossmc88 View Post
    I've just bought a manual S40 T5 to replace my V40 T4

The T5 feels slower than my old T4 which is annoying. I think I need a remap for the T5.
    The T5 is worse on fuel. I could get over 30 MPG out my T4, but the T5 sits at <24MPG
    The T5 feels and looks much more modern
    A map might help with the MPG and defo the power, mine averages mid to high 20s in winter and more in summer often late 20s sometimes 30. I once had a patient drive of 260 miles sitting at 70 with the air con off and got 41.1 mpg. The worst I have seen is after a track day 7.6 mpg
    2004 V50 T5 SE

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    A map might help with the MPG and defo the power, mine averages mid to high 20s in winter and more in summer often late 20s sometimes 30. I once had a patient drive of 260 miles sitting at 70 with the air con off and got 41.1 mpg. The worst I have seen is after a track day 7.6 mpg
    That's pretty good mpg, must weigh less than my p2 lol, 35-37 is best I get 2,000rpm nearly 70mph

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
    If you do get an auto. then the AW box is very sound.
    Is this the auto that is fitted to all the s40/v50 t5s? Or just after certain years?

than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    1450 or 1480 I think when I put it on a weigh bridge, they feel a lot lighter than a p2 in contrast the p2 is more comfortable more of a passengers luxury car the V50 is less comfortable but more of a drivers car, I think my P2 averaged more mid 30s at 70 mph too!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

Thread Information